Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57

Thread: Would You Vote For These Commissioners Again Knowing What They Don't know?


  1. #1

    Would You Vote For These Commissioners Again Knowing What They Don't know?

    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still getting its boots on!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama thrown in.
    Posts
    2,695
    Amazing isn't it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa Beach
    Posts
    695
    Kinda explains why they settled out of court.

  4. #4
    I suppose it depends on whose running, doesn't it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama thrown in.
    Posts
    2,695
    Could anyone else really do any worse. I am certainly willing to give them a chance.

  6. #6
    That may be true. So lets say Gordon Porter, or Rabbit Miles, Quinn McMillian, Lane Reese, Tim Pauls, Cindy Meadows, Herman Walker or the like decided to run. Now I'm not saying any or all these former elected officials are bad, some I even voted for, but just saying if your willing to give them a shot because you don't think any of them could do any worse may seriously want to reconsider how you select a candidate because I would venture to guess someone has something bad to say about all of them.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    All of you who won't file to run remember one thing. Each Commissioner is only one vote. If you have a complaint, file for office.
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  9. #9
    Most politicians these days aren't well educated. At least not more than the rest of us. They follow policies the best they can, and don't know when they are flawed. They do things the way their predecessors did them. When someone challenges them in a lawsuit, they are told to keep their mouth shut and play dumb. Blame the lawyers and the system first people. You should all take a long look in the mirror before throwing stones.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jim45 View Post

    Of course it's old news! The video is CLEARLY marked OCT-09. But it seems history is doomed to repeat itself if we learn nothing from the mistakes of the past. Susan Harris is currently involved in yet another lawsuit with our County Commissioners over Sunshine Laws. How much will this jewel cost? And as long as people are willing to continue to vote for this kind of incompetence, the taxpayers will continue to shuck out the big bucks for it.
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still getting its boots on!

  11. #11
    Quoting Abby;

    Most politicians these days aren't well educated.
    If this county is willing to settle for uneducated, then we got just exactly what we deserve in the form of lawsuits.
    They follow policies the best they can, and don't know when they are flawed.
    They are elected and paid to know.
    They do things the way their predecessors did them.
    They are predecessors for a reason.
    When someone challenges them in a lawsuit, they are told to keep their mouth shut and play dumb.
    The BCC is currently making decisons in regard to hiring a new county attorney. If playing dumb and keeping their mouths shut is all the taxpayers expect from our BCC then we should just hand the Adkinson law firm the keys to the county coiffures and allow them to write their own paychecks.
    Last edited by Misty; 01-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still getting its boots on!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    Most politicians these days aren't well educated. At least not more than the rest of us. They follow policies the best they can, and don't know when they are flawed. They do things the way their predecessors did them. When someone challenges them in a lawsuit, they are told to keep their mouth shut and play dumb. Blame the lawyers and the system first people. You should all take a long look in the mirror before throwing stones.
    Regardless of what others may say, most of this is right on mark. What some do not realize is that "not well educated" does not necessarily relate to "dumb". A lot of well educated people would not make good representatives of the people. Some seem to think that once you are elected to office, you cease being a human being and become a deity or some sort of superbeing. It is not so. Some of you who are screaming the loudest need to do a little research or call your Commissioner, express your views and have a little chat with them. You might be surprised at what you might learn.
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    Quote Originally Posted by idlewind View Post
    Could anyone else really do any worse. I am certainly willing to give them a chance.
    In answer to your question, yes, there are probably many who could do worse, and would. That said, there is not an incumbent running this time I would vote for. By the same token, I am very tired and frustrated by those who seem to have more money than sense and hire a lawyer at the drop of a hat to sue US, THE TAXPAYER. The county is US and when it is sued friviously, it costs US money in tax dollars.
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
    Some of you who are screaming the loudest need to do a little research or call your Commissioner, express your views and have a little chat with them. You might be surprised at what you might learn.
    Been there, done that. Not surpised at all by the "I don't know" answers either.
    Last edited by Misty; 01-17-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still getting its boots on!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    Funny. You must talk to different Commissioners than I do. I had a long "chat" with one today about the rape of our beach by the large dirt haulers. I got no "I don't know's" nor do I usually. What I do get when it is "I don't know, is I don't know but I'll find out and let you know". Maybe you should try "go there, try again" instead of "been there, done that".
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  16. #16
    Thanks Andy.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
    In answer to your question, yes, there are probably many who could do worse, and would. That said, there is not an incumbent running this time I would vote for. By the same token, I am very tired and frustrated by those who seem to have more money than sense and hire a lawyer at the drop of a hat to sue US, THE TAXPAYER. The county is US and when it is sued friviously, it costs US money in tax dollars.
    Present company excluded I hope..... assuming I run again, which I really have not yet decided. Running for office is time consuming, can be expensive and if elected (be careful what you ask for), is hard on your family. Having said all of that, I have enjoyed being an elected official... and hope I have served well.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd88jd View Post
    Present company excluded I hope..... assuming I run again, which I really have not yet decided. Running for office is time consuming, can be expensive and if elected (be careful what you ask for), is hard on your family. Having said all of that, I have enjoyed being an elected official... and hope I have served well.
    I've heard you were thinking of coming out again.
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still getting its boots on!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama thrown in.
    Posts
    2,695
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd88jd View Post
    Present company excluded I hope..... assuming I run again, which I really have not yet decided. Running for office is time consuming, can be expensive and if elected (be careful what you ask for), is hard on your family. Having said all of that, I have enjoyed being an elected official... and hope I have served well.
    You are the only incumbent in any race that I would vote for. You have done a fine job and I hope you will continue to serve. Funny that a conservative Republican will only vote to reelect a Democrat in a county full of elected Republicans isn't it? But I think you are far more conservative than our elected RINOS in this county.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama thrown in.
    Posts
    2,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
    In answer to your question, yes, there are probably many who could do worse, and would. That said, there is not an incumbent running this time I would vote for. By the same token, I am very tired and frustrated by those who seem to have more money than sense and hire a lawyer at the drop of a hat to sue US, THE TAXPAYER. The county is US and when it is sued friviously, it costs US money in tax dollars.
    I am not crazy about the lawsuits either. I prefer the vote um all out and give someone else a chance to do better approach.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SoWal
    Posts
    263
    It seems lawsuits are sometimes the only way to get attention. From experience it appears that the county is always behind the 8 ball as a defendant and always backs down or loses.

    I thought the saying was "you can't fight city hall". I guess city hall has professionals who do their jobs well, have clear policies, and decent lawyers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd88jd View Post
    Present company excluded I hope..... assuming I run again, which I really have not yet decided. Running for office is time consuming, can be expensive and if elected (be careful what you ask for), is hard on your family. Having said all of that, I have enjoyed being an elected official... and hope I have served well.
    Yes, present company is excluded. I was referring to the County Commission. I did not mean to ignore the school board. Although I am waaay past the age of having school children, it is my understanding and observation that you have done a wonderful job! I hope you will run again.
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
    Funny. You must talk to different Commissioners than I do. I had a long "chat" with one today about the rape of our beach by the large dirt haulers. I got no "I don't know's" nor do I usually. What I do get when it is "I don't know, is I don't know but I'll find out and let you know". Maybe you should try "go there, try again" instead of "been there, done that".

    Gotten any answers yet?
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still getting its boots on!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seagrove Beach
    Posts
    75
    Walton County's elected officials are poster children for term limits.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
    Walton County's elected officials are poster children for term limits.
    What do term limits have to do with those responses under oath?

    Any commissioner, 2 months or 2 terms into office, willing to answer questions in a deposition as seen in the video, has no business being in office, ever, IMO.

    Yes, it's an old video & old news, but still appalling behavior to me.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa Beach
    Posts
    776
    Instead of complaining about term limits, just stop electing and reelecting these morons!
    Basically, I'm just passing through on my way to Australia.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seagrove Beach
    Posts
    75
    It's too bad we don't have people who would serve on the county commission and school board for no salary. That would be an indication of who really is interested in public service and doing the right thing. A friend recently attended the once a month school board meeting recently and she told me that it lasted 35 minutes. I'm not sure what salaries are for elected officials but whatever it is it's pretty good money.

  28. #28

    Serve full term to which you are elected?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdd88jd View Post
    Present company excluded I hope..... assuming I run again, which I really have not yet decided. Running for office is time consuming, can be expensive and if elected (be careful what you ask for), is hard on your family. Having said all of that, I have enjoyed being an elected official... and hope I have served well.
    Are you going to serve the full term, Mr. Davis, or will you leave the school board in the middle of the term to run for Judge LaPorte's seat when he retires? If you run for school board, though, I think it is only right to serve the full term to which you are elected.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    The world is full of "ifs" and "buts" and if we paid strict attention to them nothing would ever get done. It would be productive to serve half a term favorably than to serve none at all. Life is full of changes and we cannot account for favorable solutions to all of them. Run if you wish, Mr. Davis, regardless of what future event may transpire.
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  30. #30

    Not a zero sum game

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
    The world is full of "ifs" and "buts" and if we paid strict attention to them nothing would ever get done. It would be productive to serve half a term favorably than to serve none at all. Life is full of changes and we cannot account for favorable solutions to all of them. Run if you wish, Mr. Davis, regardless of what future event may transpire.
    If this were a zero sum game, I might agree that a half-term favorably served is better than none at all. Instead, others are available and willing to favorably serve a full term.

    Running for office necessarily implies that the candidate makes a commitment to serve for the entirety of the office's term. Implying such a commitment while intending to seek another office before the expiration of the first is disengenous and dishonest.

    In any event, don't you agree it is a fair question deserving of a fair and honest answer? Absent an answer, isn't it safe to assume a candidate intends to serve the full term?

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by graytonbeachguy View Post
    If this were a zero sum game, I might agree that a half-term favorably served is better than none at all. Instead, others are available and willing to favorably serve a full term.

    Running for office necessarily implies that the candidate makes a commitment to serve for the entirety of the office's term. Implying such a commitment while intending to seek another office before the expiration of the first is disengenous and dishonest.

    In any event, don't you agree it is a fair question deserving of a fair and honest answer? Absent an answer, isn't it safe to assume a candidate intends to serve the full term?
    Looking at the Supervisor of Elections website Mr Davis is the only one running so it seems that he is the only one willing to serve.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa Beach
    Posts
    776
    How did you make the leap from Mr. Davis saying he was not sure he would even run again to him running, winning, then resigning to run for another office?
    Basically, I'm just passing through on my way to Australia.

  33. #33
    It's what I have heard, zebra. I never said that I extrapolated it from his statement that he was unsure about running this time. And, Bob Wells, had he disclosed his intention to seek another office before the expiration of his school board term, perhaps someone would have run for the position.

    Is this really such a difficult question to answer that all these surrogates must leap to obfuscate the issue?

  34. #34
    First of all I am not a surrogate, I don't even know Mr Davis other than to say I voted for him and believe him to be an asset on the School Board. You have made a statement that you have heard that Mr Davis is considering to run for Judge LaPorte's seat upon his retirement. I will still vote for Mr Davis unless someone jumps in the race that I feel would do a better job. Keep stirring the pot, its what keeps politics interesting. Thanks

  35. #35
    And it seems like such a simple question.

  36. #36
    It kinda sounds like you are a surrogate for someone who wants to run but doesn't think they could beat Mr. Davis. Is that accurate? I don't know Mr. Davis either but when the word surrogate is used, things seem a little fishy.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    What's in a word?
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  38. #38
    Sorry for the delay in responding, but, I just saw the thread.

    I am running again for the School Board. I wasnt' really sure that I was going to run again, but, I do feel I have been effective in certain areas and I still have a contribution to make. I have been there 17 years this summer and I wanted to make sure that I was running for reelection for the right reasons.

    I believe Judge LaPorte's seat does come up in two years, but, I have no idea, at this point whether I would run for that position or not. I have thought about being a judge and actually applied to be appointed twice, got nominated, but our two local circuit judges were appointed instead. I truly enjoy practicing law in front of both of them and hold them in very high regard. There are so many variables in the decision to seek a judicial seat, financial, family, etc., not the least of which is whether, in two years, I would want to be a judge. I enjoy what I do know and really enjoy serving on the School Board. Franklly, one of the reasons (besides youth) that I did not apply for a Judgeship in the late nineties was because I had just got elected to the school board and wanted to finish that term. Thus, if I am re-elected to the School Board, having to resign, should I be fortunate enough to win a judgeship, is another factor I would weigh carefully. Also, it would depend who else shows interest in our local judgeship. It might be somebody I feel would be more qualified than me. By the way, I have been asked about the Judge position many times which is very flattering. But again, I have not made that decision and would want to wait until it actually becomes formally available and then think it through again.

    That is long way of saying, I am running for school board. I don't know today if I would run for a Judgeship but I would certainly consider it.

    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by mdd88jd; 05-03-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Typo

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountain Beach
    Posts
    3,909
    I like your openess and appreciate it. You have just lost my vote, however, as, as a whole, I detest lawyers. Many of them are an absolute disgrace to their profession and society in general. On second thought, knowing of your very valued service, I will reconsider and vote for you. (Take all of the above considering you personally with a grain of salt.)
    Last edited by Andy A; 05-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    I think of government as the Mafia without the moral authority or predictability. Ron Hart

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
    I like your openess and appreciate it. You have just lost my vote, however, as, as a whole, I detest lawyers. Many of them are an absolute disgrace to their profession and society in general. On second thought, knowing of your very valued service, I will reconsider and vote for you. (Take all of the above considering you personally with a grain of salt.)
    Thanks Andy, always enjoy your posts....

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seagrove Beach
    Posts
    75
    I suppose it says something about an official when they run unopposed. Sometimes it's an indication of a person's character which means more to me than party affiliation.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd88jd View Post
    Sorry for the delay in responding, but, I just saw the thread.

    I am running again for the School Board. I wasnt' really sure that I was going to run again, but, I do feel I have been effective in certain areas and I still have a contribution to make. I have been there 17 years this summer and I wanted to make sure that I was running for reelection for the right reasons.

    I believe Judge LaPorte's seat does come up in two years, but, I have no idea, at this point whether I would run for that position or not. I have thought about being a judge and actually applied to be appointed twice, got nominated, but our two local circuit judges were appointed instead. I truly enjoy practicing law in front of both of them and hold them in very high regard. There are so many variables in the decision to seek a judicial seat, financial, family, etc., not the least of which is whether, in two years, I would want to be a judge. I enjoy what I do know and really enjoy serving on the School Board. Franklly, one of the reasons (besides youth) that I did not apply for a Judgeship in the late nineties was because I had just got elected to the school board and wanted to finish that term. Thus, if I am re-elected to the School Board, having to resign, should I be fortunate enough to win a judgeship, is another factor I would weigh carefully. Also, it would depend who else shows interest in our local judgeship. It might be somebody I feel would be more qualified than me. By the way, I have been asked about the Judge position many times which is very flattering. But again, I have not made that decision and would want to wait until it actually becomes formally available and then think it through again.

    That is long way of saying, I am running for school board. I don't know today if I would run for a Judgeship but I would certainly consider it.

    Thanks guys.
    Thanks for posting good to see you step up!

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seagrove Beach
    Posts
    75
    I'm not voting to re-elect anybody. I'm a registered Republican but I'll vote for any Democrats who are running in the general election.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama thrown in.
    Posts
    2,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
    I'm not voting to re-elect anybody. I'm a registered Republican but I'll vote for any Democrats who are running in the general election.
    You are right on track. Mr. Davis being the exception, I will vote to get all of them out. From Obama right on down to the mosquito control people. New blood cannot do worse and just might be an improvement. And you are also right that party means little these days. Republicans are pushing big government on both the state and local level.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seagrove Beach
    Posts
    75
    As far as the school board goes, I don't think it makes any difference who's on the board. From what I'm told, they only vote on issues because it's required by law and as far as personnel recommendations go they don't even know who the applicants are, with the exception of relatives. I do know that my school board representative couldn't explain to me why some good teachers were laid off when no personnel cuts were required.

  46. #46
    You are right Annie, the recent actions of Tallahassee have taken most of the authority over education away from the local school boards and placed it in the hands of bureaucrats. About the only thing left for the local school board to do is build buildings. This is one of the big reasons we need to change things in Tallahassee.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seagrove Beach
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Glidewell View Post
    You are right Annie, the recent actions of Tallahassee have taken most of the authority over education away from the local school boards and placed it in the hands of bureaucrats. About the only thing left for the local school board to do is build buildings. This is one of the big reasons we need to change things in Tallahassee.
    The DOE has said that local school districts are autonomous and can act as they please. They are not required to show any accountabiltiy and in Walton county they don't have to justify any decision that they make. The superintendent makes all decisions and the board always approves them. The Walton School District has even breached the collective bargaining agreement and won't explain why or even address the issue.

  48. #48
    DOE is being less than truthful. Ask the teachers and administrators (and school board members) who controls education in this state. Or better yet, ask DOE if a local school district can opt out of FCAT or any part of the so-called Student Success Act.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SoWal via Louisville
    Posts
    17,952
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
    As far as the school board goes, I don't think it makes any difference who's on the board. From what I'm told, they only vote on issues because it's required by law and as far as personnel recommendations go they don't even know who the applicants are, with the exception of relatives. I do know that my school board representative couldn't explain to me why some good teachers were laid off when no personnel cuts were required.
    It is my understanding that personnel cuts and hiring are the responsibility of the superintendent, as the school board is not involved in the day-to-day business of the school system (hiring/firing). When I asked Mark Davis about the teacher layoffs at Bay, he looked into it and got back to me with an answer. And yes, it was all about money/budget, and it stunk, but it is happening all over the country, not just here. The superintendent could have explained the the situation much better instead of leaving it up to the principals to be the "heavies", IMO. But that is al water under the bridge now.

    It makes a huge difference who is on the board. If you have ever been to a school board meeting, you know what I am talking about. It would be fantastic for our community if the South Walton schools and parents really banded together as a unit to make sure our needs are met and we are heard, and heard loudly, in DeFuniak. Of course my dream would be a SoWal independent school system. Oh a girl can dream....
    Last edited by Jdarg; 05-16-2012 at 08:10 AM.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seagrove Beach
    Posts
    75
    I taught school for more than 30 years. I taught 4 years in Walton county and was laid off in 2010. I had good evaluations and my students' performance was excellent. There were no cuts in the number of teachers only teachers like me with masters degrees and years of experience. In fact the number of teachers hired increased. I applied for more than 50 of those jobs with no consideration. I was told by my representative on the school board, Mrs. Wilkerson, that it was the policy of the board not to rehire former teachers. If that's ethical I'm out of touch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mosquito Commissioners Up from 3 to 5?
    By rapunzel in forum Local Government and Groups
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 01:49 PM
  2. Come on, commissioners, give us a break!
    By florida girl in forum Local Government and Groups
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM
  3. Vote Early, Vote Often
    By Smiling JOe in forum Local Government and Groups
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 11:11 AM
  4. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 01:36 AM
  5. Dog flies--write to the commissioners
    By namdub in forum Local Government and Groups
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 11:26 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •