Thread: Jeep Offroad Fun

Jeep Offroad Fun

Looking for somewhere to (legally) take my Jeep off the pavement for a little offroad fun. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We drove through the gravel roads of the Point Washington State Forest about a week ago. I noticed some dirt paths that veered off. They appeared to have tire tracks.. but I wasn't sure if they were supposed to.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by AirRocker; 02-17-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Images
    http://www.eglin.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123048094

Go to the Jackson Guard office on Hwy 85in Niceville. Sit through a short film on "Unexploded Ordnance and You" (it's really for their liability purposes; as long as you stay on roads and trails, the odds of finding something boom-like are about the same as going to Grayton Beach or Topsail State Parks) show driver's license or other official proof of identity, pay your $7-$8, and they'll give you an Eglin recreation permit good for the rest of the fiscal year and a giant map of open and closed parts of Eglin reservation. The permit cost essentially covers paying for the map.

There are more of less 280K acres of base land maintained for recreation purposes between Milton and Freeport, including a fair amount of single track, creek and river crossings, and unofficial mud-bogging spots. Just respect roads marked as closed because a) there is probably a reason for the closure and b) there are places deep in the pines that are so top secret-like you'll get yourself arrested for going into that closed area. Also note that Eglin reservation is very popular with hunters in the winter, especially during deer season. (That time of year, stick to areas closed to hunting.)

If you're going to be here for a while, it's definitely worth it to get an Eglin rec pass. If you're a short timer, we're also had fun at Pine Log State Forest north of Panama City Beach.

beachmouse - Thanks for the info! I didn't know Eglin did that sort of thing. Sounds very cool.. but probably a bit over my skill level. Haha. I'm just looking for some basic dirt/gravel trails. :)

Images
    There are a good number of general dirt/gravel trails that our Subaru Outback handles well enough, and it's not as off-road as a Jeep is, IMO. (Gotta get those big pick-up trucks access to interior areas during deer season and all.) We've had good luck driving some of the areas just east/northeast of Nick's restaurant in Basin Bayou.

Eglin reservation was originally Choctawhatchee National Forest, and part of the terms of the Forest Service turning over the property to the Department of War during WW2 was that certain levels of recreation use on the Choctawhatchee land would be retained.

I am not a member therefore I do not know the specifics, however if you go to JackedUpJeepClub.com you'll find info on where everyone goes in the area. I believe they go offloading on all skill levels.

.....and if you see an all Red Sahara Unlimited riding around SoWal with 37's make sure you "do the wave"

Haha. Thanks LowProfiling! I'll check that site out. And no worries... I always "do the wave" to fellow Jeep owners.