Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Pizza in SOWAL?

Images
    "Oddly enough, I scanned the thread and to no avail did I find anyone mention McTighes Irish Pub in Blue Mountain for GREAT PIZZA! I am sure few would expect an Irish Pub to host a great pizza, but definitely a go to place if you have not tried it.

***this is not a paid endorsement*** "

Little known fact...

The guy who owns Johnny McTighes owned the first Mellow Mushroom restaurant in Atlanta on Pharr Rd. McTighes' pizza is, basically, Mellow Mushroom pizza. Only the dough has been tweeked because MM wouldn't let him use the recipe.
    "No, I don't skinny-dip. I chunky-dunk."

Sleep Talkin' Man - 10/15/10

I thought Red Bar had pretty good fries....I do know that they had the best Burger I've had in SoWAL in recent years.

PS What was that place called where Shorty's Top Side (across from Red Bar) is now...I used to have a T-Shirt from there and it was my favorite restaurant to go to as a kid, if you said it, I'd remember it! ahhh the only word that comes to mind when trying to think of it is "corner" and I don't know why!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DCollins View Post
    I thought Red Bar had pretty good fries....I do know that they had the best Burger I've had in SoWAL in recent years.

PS What was that place called where Shorty's Top Side (across from Red Bar) is now...I used to have a T-Shirt from there and it was my favorite restaurant to go to as a kid, if you said it, I'd remember it! ahhh the only word that comes to mind when trying to think of it is "corner" and I don't know why!!
    D&K's?

No, before that! Dang it's still on the tip of my tongue!!!
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.

New contender for best pizza - Crust!

They are in the old Fabrice location on 98 and are making yummy wood oven pizza (that isn't burnt on the edges).
    Basically, I'm just passing through on my way to Australia.

Images
    No, before that! Dang it's still on the tip of my tongue!!!
    oh, it's Something Cafe'. can't think...
    Connect with SoWal !

Get your Local Events and Live Music on SoWal.com.

Images
    Little known fact...
    The guy who owns Johnny McTighes was the owner of the first Mellow Mushroom restaurant in Atlanta on Pharr Rd. His pizza is basically MM pizza. He had to tweak the dough, though. Mellow Mushroom wouldn't sell him dough so he had to adjust the recipe to make it his own...
    "No, I don't skinny-dip. I chunky-dunk."

Sleep Talkin' Man - 10/15/10

It is! Like corner cafe, beach cafe, grayton beach cafe......!?!?

It is! Like corner cafe, beach cafe, grayton beach cafe......!?!?
    Gayton Cafe...I think. They used to have the best key lime pie in the area.
    "Victory Through Knowledge"

Thank you zebraspots. We are also baking croissants, baguettes, and pastries. We have specials everyday.

Crust Artisan Bakery
    4821 Hwy. 98 E
    Santa Rosa

Corner Cafe was Johnny Earles' Restaurant where Oli and half of the restaurant industry in SoWal got their start. Then it was Jezebel's, Little Louis', D&K's, now Shorty's. There were a few more short-time "in-betweens but can't remember names. There was something before D&K's which was open air up top with burgers and dogs.
    Connect with SoWal   

Connect with SoWal   

Images
    I remember the open air one before D&K's - it was the mid-way stop between the beach and the rental house on our summer vacations. We were hot and ready for a cold beer by the time we hauled our stuff off the beach, and we would stop, in nothing but our bathing suits, covered with sand, and have a little rest. ;)

Thanks Kurt...yes that's it..just the Grayton Corner Cafe or Corner Cafe...I used to love that place.

Images
    I'm not sure if it was called something else between Corner Cafe and D&K's but it was open-aired under D&K's, on their first go-around, and then they enclosed it for their second re-incarnation of D&K's.
    My mind tends to wander... but fortunately, it's so weak, it doesn't get very far...

I'd like to hit up the Sip N' Dip, Grayton Corner Cafe, Wheelhouse, and AJs right about now, then stop by the little petting zoo in Grayton on way out!

Images
    So...back to pizza. We had 2 yummy pizzas from Pizza by the Sea tonight. Pizza was great, running into everyone in town while grabbing the pizzas is always fun, and curtseying to Colby the Seaside Re Prom King is the added bonus. The new owners are great people, lots of fun, and are happy to be here and hanging with all the parents and kids.

Images
    Had a great calzone from Bubba's Pizza in PCB west end yesterday. I asked them to stuff in chicken and bacon and they said no problem. It was wonderful.
    Just because you eat the burger doesn't mean you want to meet the cow!

Just tried Crust bakery across from John-John's next to Copy Systems. They have a wood pizza stove and great toppings. The business is brand-new. I am looking forward to returning when they have their full line of patries available.

Images
    We love Brunos pizza. Their eat-in area has improved from what it was, though we usually only eat inside during the off season, otherwise using the outside or doing takeout.

We tried a veggie pizza at Pizza by the Sea once and the crust was pretty soggy, so we weren't thrilled with that.

Are there any places that do a whole-wheat crust, or partial whole wheat?

I know we just got a "YouPie" in Columbus, GA and I think there is one in Destin or PC, but they have really good and fresh ingredients. It's similar to a subway layout in that you go through a line and pick what kind of crust you want either white, wheat, or gluteen free and then you can pick your cheese, sauce, and toppings etc. They also have really good beer on tap and wine as well. They fire their pizza's in a wood fire oven and make pretty much everything in house. Very good.

Images
    Has anyone tried Panama Pizzeria? Located on Hwy 79 and front beach. I've heard GREAT things about this place and plan to give it a try soon. The menu has lots of pasta, pizza plus burgers etc.
    Connect with SoWal !

We were JUST talking about places to eat down there and a lady I work with JUST got done saying that Panama Pizzeria was awesome, she said the pizza's are big but that it's a very good pizza place. So try it out!

Images
    Based on Tootsie's review we went to Fat Clemenza's this week and the pizza was fabulous and the service even better. Definitely worth the drive.

30A home of glorious sunsets.

Images
    Pizza By The Sea is our favorite, but next time we are ordering to go.
    Rick @ BeachSandSculptures.com
    303/681-2631

Okay just got back from SOWAL and I only had the chance to try one pizza...and that was Fat Daddy's...I got the chicken pesto supreme...it was OK...nothing great and I will give Fat Daddy's another try and get something with marinara sauce instead of pesto...the 70 cent PBRs were a definite plus I'll tell you that much!

I want to try Amore next time I go. Is that worth going to?

Images
    We loved the pizza at Pickle Factory but we're also fans of the European style pizza at Fat Clemenza's (west of Sandestin in a strip mall). We also like the pizza at Ciao Bella at the outlet mall for an inbetween thickness crust. Hubs liked pizza bar more than I liked it. Pizza by the Sea is good but not great. It's been years since I've tried Bruno's. We really liked Amore but that was an owner ago-we've not tried it in a long time either. When hubs and I stayed for 2 weeks we'd have pizza at least twice/trip but hubs didn't go this year and I never even had pizza this year. I like pizza but when I'm in SoWal for a week or two, pizza's not usually at the top of my to eat list!

Best Pizza in SOWAL?

I have to advise fellow sowal folks to avoid trying panama pizzeria. We gave it a shot yesterday and it was an all around negative experience. It was dirty, flies swarmed us constantly (inside), service was not good and the food really really not good. Normally I would never express dissatisfaction on a forum, but our experience was that bad. Lesson learned - Stick to our sowal pizza spots!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskybeachmom View Post
    I have to advise fellow sowal folks to avoid trying panama pizzeria. We gave it a shot yesterday and it was an all around negative experience. It was dirty, flies swarmed us constantly (inside), service was not good and the food really really not good. Normally I would never express dissatisfaction on a forum, but our experience was that bad. Lesson learned - Stick to our sowal pizza spots!!
    oh, too bad! we had a good experience there a few months ago but things were much slower around here when we stopped in. Really enjoyed the pizza and manicotti! I like how they have a full Italian food menu, unlike most pizza places.

Fat Clemenza's is special in many ways in addition to their pizza - it is a nice place to go for pizza and a full menu of outstanding Italian food!

If you have not tried Crust on Hwy 98 in Santa Rosa Beach, then do it. Totally delicious!!!
    Last edited by Teresa; 07-17-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Connect with SoWal !

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Crust! Had lunch there today!

Images
    Okay just got back from SOWAL and I only had the chance to try one pizza...and that was Fat Daddy's...I got the chicken pesto supreme...it was OK...nothing great and I will give Fat Daddy's another try and get something with marinara sauce instead of pesto...the 70 cent PBRs were a definite plus I'll tell you that much!

I want to try Amore next time I go. Is that worth going to?
    Amore's current owners have the pizza up to the original standards!! Oh that caramella and Italian sausage....dang already started dinner. We bounce between Amore, Pizza by the Sea, and Pizza Bar for our favorite SoWal pizza, and I am really looking forward to trying Crust.

Ive always been biased to my moms homemade pizza (and it is epic) but im going to have to say, for delivery, you really cant be Hungry Howies. there pizzas are awesome, and the garlic flavored crust is a meal in itself.
    ***PCB = Heaven***
    Proudly Owning Panama City Real Estate Since 2007
    I love it here, and plan on dying here.

Any new ideas or updated reviews on pizza? We are going to try Crust this week for sure!

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Images
    See post #34. Still feel the same way.

As a huge fan of anything and everything Bud and Alley's we tried the Pizza Bar last night and it was pretty good and I would go back, BUT it did not wow me. That being said, the search is still on for best pizza in Sowal imo, might try Crust this week!

We got the oven baked dough with cheese for app and we split a marghareta with their homemade fennell sausage added and it was delicious! I'd give it a 7/10!

Now looking for that rare 9/10 or 10/10!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12