• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
It's really a shame and it should be enforced a little better - - especially this time of year.

Safety needs to start with the individual. Adults should heed the rules and make sure their kids do too. It is impossible to "enforce" the rules if people choose to disregard them.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Even a single red flag means high risk! Why put your life in jeopardy? I know I'm freaked out about safety right now, but there are a lot of people here, sharing the same space. We all need to be looking out for one another and be alert. I don't want my kids to have to hear about drownings when there are red flags posted! I don't know if I'm making sense because this is so upsetting!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Ned is fairly close with his description of red flags, but let me clarify. Only double red flag means you will get a ticket from the Sheriff's office if you don't drown first. Surfboarders can still go in during double red, with the key part of the rule being that the floatation device must be secured to your person. Kayaks would not meet this rule as they do not come with leashes. I am not certain but the way I understand it, you could kayak if you were wearing a life vest, but get ready to lose something like your kayak or paddle.

I know that one local rental business recently changed ownership, but from what I used to see in the past from many companies (which may not have followed the rules to the "T," I don't recall seeing life vests tied to the kayaks and paddles that are often delivered. I would think that they would issue warnings encouraging the rentors to not go out in bad weather and to look for the warning flags as a guide -- yellow meaning take precaution! Red meaning - you shouldn't risk it, and double red -- not allowed.

Today, after hearing of the first drowning, I got to thinking. It seems that we never have just one person drown on a day when the rip currents are bad. I know the Fire Dept is in charge of flying the flags, and on days like today, they probably spend much time on alert and don't always have a chance to change the flags. (now, the lifeguards are out and about in some places so they can change those flags) Anyhoo, I was thinking that immediately after the first water rescue on any day, maybe they should raise a black flag. I think everyone would have a clue of what that might mean -- sign of mourning. It could possibly stop someone else from taking the risk of going into the Gulf. When the black flag is flying, you should keep your butt on shore.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Thank SJ, present your idea the the TDC/Sherrifs/Fire Dept and whomever else are the decision makers!

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Thank SJ, present your idea the the TDC/Sherrifs/Fire Dept and whomever else are the decision makers!

It is a good idea, BUT more than likely they would never do that. They like to keep these type things (ie. drownings/shark attacks) as quiet as possible and raising a black flag may be seen by tourists as "death beach."

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
it was red flag when we drove out onto grayton around 4:30 this afternoon. we saw beach patrol and the medical lift helicopter flying over. then we saw the FD change to double red flag around 6pm. we knew something had happened.

listen, if it is a red flag, just stay out of the gulf. why wait for a double red flag? it could be too late.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It is a good idea, BUT more than likely they would never do that. They like to keep these type things (ie. drownings/shark attacks) as quiet as possible and raising a black flag may be seen by tourists as "death beach."

I know the TDC is all about making everything warm and sunny with cheery smiles. Look at Seamore the Beach Flag Crab. I guess I see him educating the kids. Since usually, it is the adults whom drown, maybe we need something like the black flag to educate the adults. :dunno:
After numerous drownings in the area over the last few years, I suggested that rather than flying the second red flag with the icon of the no swimming for Closed Water, that second flag should have an icon of a man freaking out and sinking -- either that or a black flag with skull and crossbones (POISON symbol)

Some days around here, it is death beach. I can think of nothing better than national news promoting our flag warning system. Then news stories might be something along these lines, "in the past, they had multiple drownings in a single day, now with the new black flag of mouring, they have decreased the number of drownings on the days when the waters are really fierce with strong rip currents."... I would rather see more people not going in the water on these days, especially when other people have drowned only a few miles away, and this will keep if from becoming death beach. If you saw a black flag being raised on the beach, wouldn't you be questioning what is up with that, and think twice about going into the water on that day. Don't think it didn't make the national news when we had about 15 drownings and even more rescues in one day in Walton and Okaloosa Counties, back around 2005. Maybe flying a black flag prevents 14 of the drownings and in turn, prevents the death beach from becoming death beach. If you are not being proactive in today's world, you are following behind.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
I know the TDC is all about making everything warm and sunny with cheery smiles. Look at Seamore the Beach Flag Crab. I guess I see him educating the kids. Since usually, it is the adults whom drown, maybe we need something like the black flag to educate the adults. :dunno:
After numerous drownings in the area over the last few years, I suggested that rather than flying the second red flag with the icon of the no swimming for Closed Water, that second flag should have an icon of a man freaking out and sinking -- either that or a black flag with skull and crossbones (POISON symbol)

Some days around here, it is death beach. I can think of nothing better than national news promoting our flag warning system. Then news stories might be something along these lines, "in the past, they had multiple drownings in a single day, now with the new black flag of mouring, they have decreased the number of drownings on the days when the waters are really fierce with strong rip currents."... I would rather see more people not going in the water on these days, especially when other people have drowned only a few miles away, and this will keep if from becoming death beach. If you saw a black flag being raised on the beach, wouldn't you be questioning what is up with that, and think twice about going into the water on that day. Don't think it didn't make the national news when we had about 15 drownings and even more rescues in one day in Walton and Okaloosa Counties, back around 2005. Maybe flying a black flag prevents 14 of the drownings and in turn, prevents the death beach from becoming death beach. If you are not being proactive in today's world, you are following behind.

SJ, you are so right!:clap_1:

it was red flag when we drove out onto grayton around 4:30 this afternoon. we saw beach patrol and the medical lift helicopter flying over. then we saw the FD change to double red flag around 6pm. we knew something had happened.

listen, if it is a red flag, just stay out of the gulf. why wait for a double red flag? it could be too late.

Exactly!

I wish it was just a 1 red flag system and they closed the water, period. It would be easier to police and save more lives!