• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I am having Mountain Film withdrawal.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Yaeh, yeah...
I promised I would change it after LSU pouded on 'Bama.
Just as soon as I get home I will remove that most diturbing image and replace it with an equally offensive 'tar:D

Just for the record....they didn't pound us, they beat us, but they didn't pound us. :cool::wave:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Some are, most are not. Many are on the circuit, hoping to get picked up. Many are made for festivals and wait to see how they fare, to then see if they can get a few thousand pressed. Best bet is to google the title, it will typically lead you toward the producer's page.

For all: which film did you like the most? the least?

Thanks for the info John R. Wish I could have been there.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Loved it all!!! Loved the movies, the commentary, the company, friends and hot chocolate!! Loved staring at the amazing stars in the sky and wish I had tried those brownies!!!!!

Seabreeze

Beach Comber
Apr 18, 2007
ATL & SRB
MountainFilm was great (as usual) this year though it seemed like the array of films was more limited than in past years. I miss the mix of light humor entries alongside extreme sports/challenges and eco-based and social-issues-based entries. I felt like it was mostly eco and social this year. Still a great event, though. The higher temps this year made it more pleasurable than last. No need for a sleeping bag and ski cap.

One thing I could've done without was the pontificating from the podium on Saturday night. The dude who served as MC made his point ... expounded ... repeated his point ... expounded some more ... re-re-made his point ... ad nauseum. Enough already! People around me started saying, "Just show the damn film!" I agree. The films are expertly designed and produced. Let them stand on their own merit.

Looking forward to next year's MF, er, MountainFilm.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
MountainFilm was great (as usual) this year though it seemed like the array of films was more limited than in past years. I miss the mix of light humor entries alongside extreme sports/challenges and eco-based and social-issues-based entries. I felt like it was mostly eco and social this year. Still a great event, though. The higher temps this year made it more pleasurable than last. No need for a sleeping bag and ski cap.

One thing I could've done without was the pontificating from the podium on Saturday night. The dude who served as MC made his point ... expounded ... repeated his point ... expounded some more ... re-re-made his point ... ad nauseum. Enough already! People around me started saying, "Just show the damn film!" I agree. The films are expertly designed and produced. Let them stand on their own merit.

Glad someone else thought so too! Thought I was just being cranky about the repetitive and boring announcers and figured the claymation film we missed just before intermission friday (we wanted to get a jump on the women's restroom line) was the really funny one.

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Couldn't agree more about the announcers!! I missed Jim Pettigrew - he always did a great job announcing the films.

We had our minister from our church in Lexington, Ky as our guest for the film festival. Every Monday he sends out a fax to the business community in Lexington. This is what he wrote for this weeks fax.

Fax of Life/LIFemail

A Monday Morning Service to the Business Community from Glen Schneiders

Celebrating Indomitable Spirit

November 5, 2007

Friday and Saturday, my wife and I attended the Mountainfilm Festival appearing at Watercolor, Florida. The festival, which originates in Telluride, Colorado, tours the country with new releases by private film entrepreneurs. Watercolor was one of 94 showings this season.

Two short films underscored the theme of Mountainfilm: ?Celebrating Indomitable Spirit.?

One was ?Emmy: The Story of an Orphan? and the other was ?Granny D Goes to Washington.? Kenny is an eighteen-year-old young man that found himself drawn to a young Ugandan named Emmy. Emmy?s mother dies of AIDS and his father was a victim of the Lord Risistance Army?s reign of terror over Northern Uganda. The story is about Emmy and his cruel circumstances, but I was drawn to Kenny. He went to Uganda because of some friends, but he returned to the United States determined to make a difference as part of the Invisible Children Movement.

Doris ?Granny D? Haddock found herself so frustrated by political campaign finance inequities that she walked 3200 miles across America to draw attention to her cause - at eighty-nine years of age! It took her fourteen months, and a stay in the hospital for dehydration in the Mojave Desert, but she completed the walk.

Two very different settings, two distinctly different generations, but both are living their lives fully. Have you noticed the groundswell among younger people to make a difference with their lives? It should encourage us all.

Since I am closer in age to Granny D than Kenny, I found her story even more challenging. At a time when she has every right to coast, she is living life fully. Granny D did indeed influence campaign finance reform laws passed by Congress. She then ran for the Senate in her home state of New Hampshire at ninety-four years of age (when a candidate dropped out from her political party). She received 34% of the electoral vote.

So, as I come back from a relaxing time away, I have to ask myself, ?What am I doing with my one and only life? Will I leave the world better than I found it??

It was said of Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation, ?Abraham breathed his last and died in a ripe old age, an old man and satisfied with life?? Genesis 25:8 (New American Standard Version)

Are you satisfied with how you are investing your one and only life? Whether you are eighteen or eighty-nine, make the world a better place today.

Until next Monday, Glen

Crossroads Christian Church

4128 Todds Road Lexington, KY 40509

phone 859.263.4633 fax 859.263-4074