• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
As you cross the bridges heading south on 331, if you look to your left there are a bunch of posts out in the bay. What are they?
One person told me they are an oyster farm, another told me that traders used to tie up out there.
What are they?

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
Re: What are those posts in the water?

I was wondering the same thing. I was told that they are arranged in the form of a ship and were used for bombing practice during WWI.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007

Sawmill pilings.

Were they used to tether the floating logs or the barges? Aren't they really close together?

Don't you just love local history?;-)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Were they used to tether the floating logs or the barges? Aren't they really close together?

Don't you just love local history?;-)

Not sure. Just repeating what I had always been told. I had also been told that they were arranged to give off a certain radar signature back in the cold war days to fool the Soviets. I have heard a local did do some time for taking a bunch of aluminum caps off of some of the pilings. Maybe more than one thing.

The logs were supposedly floated down the river, cut up, then barged out.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Check with Eglins Public Relations office. The were used years ago for range practice. I have heard two stories...
1) They were illuminated and set up to look like Tokyo at night. Doolittles raiders used them to practice with
2) They were plain old bombing run targets

Sand Angel

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2008

Not sure what they are... I'll take the boat over and check them out as soon as I finish wrapping it in tin foil.:D

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider

Not sure. Just repeating what I had always been told. I had also been told that they were arranged to give off a certain radar signature back in the cold war days to fool the Soviets. I have heard a local did do some time for taking a bunch of aluminum caps off of some of the pilings. Maybe more than one thing.

The logs were supposedly floated down the river, cut up, then barged out.

U rang......................
foilfez.jpg

But I have actually heard the info about it being a military thing.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove

Three years I have been here and I haven't been able to get an answer as to what they are. I'm just going to make something up. :D