• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Does one person's support for a candidate mean that he or she is not the best candidate, and that we should vote for someone else?

No, but you can get a sense as to what someone's REAL politics/beliefs are based on who supports them. For example, a pro-smart growth candidate w/ the backing of many developers who throw up as many units of ugly as the law will allow (and always ask for exemptions) would make me wonder.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
zebra, I understand your reasoning, but not when it comes to the Sheriff's race. If we were talking about a County Commissioner Seat, you would be making a valid point.

By the way, a smart big-growth developer would contribute to every candidate running for Commissioner, who had a decent chance of winning, so that they could theoretically have more pull when it comes to asking favors.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I know several developers who do that! :roll:

Wonder if there will be a significantly lower amount raised this year with the developer/real estate money crunch! :rofl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I know several developers who do that! :roll:

Wonder if there will be a significantly lower amount raised this year with the developer/real estate money crunch! :rofl:
The only elected officers who really have the potential to directly help developers are the seats of the County Commissioners. Larry Jones is current Chairman of the BCC, and looking at his only competition in this race, I think he will win 10:1. The race for BCC in Dist 5, will likely be a close one between Osborne and Hudson, and I don't think either would base their development approval decision on someone donating $500 towards their campaign, or any amount of money, for that matter.

With develpment being so slow right now, and probably for the next couple of years, many developers who are in trouble financially, won't likely be contributing to anyone's campaign. Compare this year's contributions to the BCC candidates to back when Scott Brannon was running, and had many, many developers contributing. Quick money is easy to throw around.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Money money money

I assume she is referring to the donations to Mr. Adkinson. From my reading of the reports, it looks like a lot more people than just Mr. Hilton were willing to open their checkbooks for him.

Almost $50,000 raised at this point. Thats pretty strong.

Yes, it is strong, but am I the only one who questions the fact that a sole individual with gobs of $$$ can donate numerous times based on his/her business and then personal identity. I realize this is the rule, not disputing that. It does look like someone/somepeople are trying to "buy" the election. There are some very "interesting" names on M. Adkinson's contribution list as well.

Do we want a new Sheriff elected on BIG BUSINESS donations or one who will work for the people, while stimulating and supporting healthy growth as well?

w

Johnny Post

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2008
"Big" business? I had to laugh at this. While I get the point, I traditionally think of "big" business in politics as large corporations, think Enron, shoveling dollar after dollar to a candidate, his/her party, PACs, and every other group to get a person elected. Not really sure what we have here is the same thing.

And while I may not agree with the campaign finance rules allowing a person to contribute multiple times under their individual name and their business, it certainly shows support for a candidate.

No matter who you are, the willingness to spend money on a political race shows a person's committment. Now we can always argue why that person is committed, but the fact that certain candidates seem to pull in large contributions does lend itself to the notion that the candidate has done something "right" to earn that support.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
Big Business

"Big" business? I had to laugh at this. While I get the point, I traditionally think of "big" business in politics as large corporations, think Enron, shoveling dollar after dollar to a candidate, his/her party, PACs, and every other group to get a person elected. Not really sure what we have here is the same thing.

And while I may not agree with the campaign finance rules allowing a person to contribute multiple times under their individual name and their business, it certainly shows support for a candidate.

No matter who you are, the willingness to spend money on a political race shows a person's committment. Now we can always argue why that person is committed, but the fact that certain candidates seem to pull in large contributions does lend itself to the notion that the candidate has done something "right" to earn that support.

Big Business in Walton is subject to interpretation. I look at it as an individual that owns several businesses (each contributing $500) then contributing $500 for themselves, their family members, etc. You end up with a great deal of money from basically one source. That one source may not even be registered to vote in Walton County. Now Infulence may attract votes, but the one's you influence are not standing next to you in the booth, are they?... Give money to make friends, vote for who is best? Perhaps that may happen.

I was always taught to "follow the money". Looking at certain candidates "money" the trail is something to follow.

w

Seeker1

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2008
Sheriffing sheriff

Do we want a new Sheriff elected on BIG BUSINESS donations or one who will work for the people, while stimulating and supporting healthy growth as well?

w[/quote]

[/QUOTE]

Actually I prefer to have a sheriff that will just do his freakin' job and let others do theirs.
As for hilton being a contributor, didnt he build something in town? HMM. Didnt he also give huge to quinn? Hmm.
Anyone can contribute to anyone, thats the beauty of it. But ya cant help but wonder in some cases..........why.
I prefer grass roots contributing, see who the PEOPLE support. Not business. Theres a big difference there.
Mike already went back on his word to the city when he told them he had no intentions of running for sheriff. Some call it mis-speaking, some call it misleading.
Whatever it is makes a weak foundation to build upon.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Maybe Hilton wants to make sure that he doesn't get a citation for ignoring any turtle lighting ordinance that finally gets passed in Walton County. I don't fault the candidate for taking money and reporting it. At least the public and voters have adequate notice before the election. The problem is with illegal or candidates or reprimanded groups that hide contributions until after elections are over. Not aware of any questionable 527s now, but you probably won't know about them until after the election, anyway.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I think it's important to consider contributors backing a candidate.

I had planned to compile a list of the top donors to each campaign, a top ten list for most, but a list of all donors of $500 (or more) for those who had more than ten. Here is the list for Adkinson (starred and highlighted contributions are combined for multiple entities):

Name / Amount / Occupation / Location

Lauren Adkinson $500.00 ARNP Defuniak Springs, FL
Clay B Adkinson $500.00 Attorney Defuniak Springs, FL
Rhonda R. Adkinson $500.00 Doctor Defuniak Springs, FL
Cornelia C Trent $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
Dean Mitchell $500.00 Offshore Construction Westville, FL
Jessica F. Adkinson $500.00 HomemakerDefuniak Springs, FL
Shadler L. Adkinson $500.00 Consultant Defuniak Springs, FL
Samuel Franklin $500.00 Sears Employee Laurel Hill, FL
Laurie Palmer $500.00 Okaloosa County School Crestview, FL
Clayton JM Adkinson $500.00 Attorney Defuniak Springs, FL
Marcia Whigham $500.00 Retired Milton, FL
Ronnie Brannon $500.00 General Contractor Defuniak Springs, FL
Jefferson Webb $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
J. Kevin Adams $500.00 Developer Memphis, TN
William Benton $500.00 Developer Memphis, TN
Sandra Anderson $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
Michael R. Howell $500.00 DOT Officer Defuniak Springs, FL
Sommer Adams $500.00 Retail Business Owner Defuniak Springs, FL
Michael Adkinson, Sr. $500.00 Offshore Constr. Defuniak Springs, FL
Patsy Adkinson $500.00 Homemaker Defuniak Springs, FL
Jason Comer $500.00 Developer Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Law Offices of Matthews and Hawk (aka Destin Land and Title) $1,000.00 Law Destin, FL
Cary Shahid $500.00 Restauranteur Destin, FL
New Orchid Group, LLC $500.00 Developer Rosemary Beach, FL
Adkinson Land Title LLC $500.00 Title Company Freeport, FL
Adkinson Law Firm $500.00 Law Firm Defuniak Springs, FL
Stanley Hobbs $500.00 Retired Hartford, AL
R. J. Ryals $500.00 Municipal Employee Defuniak Springs, FL
Roger and Judith Murray* $500.00 Retired Destin, FL
Recade Investments $500.00 Investment Co. Defuniak Springs, FL
Pelican Properties* (aka Signature, South Walton Properties) $2,500.00 Developer Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Axiom Development/Indian Lake $500.00 Developer Destin, FL
Capelin Investments $500.00 Investment Co. Miramar Beach, FL
C W Seman $500.00 Retired Freeport, FL
Cade Investments $500.00 Investment Co. Defuniak Springs, FL
Bay Hauling and Tank Corp. $500.00 Hauling Co. Valparaiso, FL
Whipple Van Ness Jones, Jr. $500.00 Retired Miramar Beach, FL
Cassandra Hollingsworth $500.00 Paralegal Defuniak Springs, FL
Debby Adkinson $500.00 Retired Freeport, FL
Dewey C. Wilson, Jr. $500.00 Executive Freeport, FL
Teasie Fountain $500.00 Bookkeeper Defuniak Springs, FL
Edgewater Beach Owners Assoc, $500.00 HOA Miramar Beach, FL
Katie Inez Adkinson $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
Rodney L. Adkinson $500.00 Retired Freeport, FL
Michelle Ragan $500.00 Property Manager Defuniak Springs, FL
Van Ness R. Butler, Jr. $500.00 Retired Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Charlie Hilton* (Hilton Inc., Hilton Timber Co., Holiday Golf & Racquet Club, Hilton Self Insurance Fund $2,500.00 Developer Panama City Beach, FL
Commercial Developers, Inc. $500.00 Developer Sandestin, FL
William Chapman $500.00 Law Enforcement Defuniak Springs, FL
Cheryl Sallee $500.00 Teacher Defuniak Springs, FL
Marla Carter Photo $500.00 Photographer Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Michael A. Adkinson $5,000.00 Candidate Defuniak Springs, FL
W. H. & P. A. Cosson* $1,000.00 Retired Pensacola, FL
Thamas R. & Joy W. Coleman* $1,000.00 Homemaker Germantown, TN
Cheryl Rice $500.00 Student Freeport, FL
Hollis Risley $500.00 Retired Miramar Beach, FL
Katie & Johnny Himes* $800.00 Business Owner Destin, FL
Nicholas Vlahos* $500.00 VP - Redfish Village Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Jennifer Brannon $500.00 Occ Therapist Defuniak Springs, FL