• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
They have been talking about that for two years. Who knows what will happen. The round-a-bout takes up much space if done correctly, and I don't think the County currently owns enough property to make one work at that location.

For example, a roundabout would slow traffic to about 15 mph, Graham said, while a traffic signal would allow vehicles to move at normal speeds. Bicyclists would be safer with a traffic light, while installing a roundabout would involve acquiring property, which could mean that some old live oak trees would be cut down.

I can understand how traffic would slow to a continuous speed of about 15 mph with a roundabout installed, but can anyone explain to me how vehicles would move "at normal speeds" by installing a traffic signal? With pedestrian crossings and a 90 degree turn for much (66.6%) traffic at that intersection, can anyone explain how drivers will keep traffic continuously moving without killing people or rolling over? If traffic max speeds are 35mph, are there many vehicles which can make that 90 degree turn safely, at that speed? I'd say that Mr Graham has not studied much traffic if that is his response as recorded by the reporter, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that newspapers are often incorrectly reporting things.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
One of our neighbors went to the meeting and sent us a report. He said they were leaning toward a roundabout. But is there room? And how will that affect pedestrians and bicyclists?

Are there a lot of accidents at that intersection?

How would they do a roundabout anyway? They would have to shift the road because of that house that is right there on the south side.

I haven't seen a lot of accidents with vehicles there. Have seen many,many close calls with pedestrians and bikes.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, they would have to shift the road and buy more property. The reason why they seem to be pushing it is because of the west-bound traffic back up in the summer. It stretches all the way to YellowFin on many days. They probably already received their money from NatureWalk, too, and have to use that money on the road.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
A roundabout would definitely keep traffic moving but a huge concern is the families on bikes who do not stop and look before crossing. With a roundabout they would all be slaughtered. If the walking/bike path were on the other side of 30A there, things would be so much safer.
And, since we are on the subject, why DON'T they stop at the intersection? How can people believe that they can ride a bike through a three way stop without even looking, let alone stopping. I am especially appalled by the parents with kids who breeze through. Their job is to teach the kids safety, right....look both ways before crossing the street. If I hit one of them because they pulled on across in my blindspot after I had stopped, looked and took my turn to go, that is not only going to be my fault, but ruin my life (morally and possibly financially).

Ok, vent over....for now.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've seen people driving cars not stop when going through that three-way intersection and the one in Seaside -- with other drivers already stopped at the intersection, waiting their turn!

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
...a huge concern is the families on bikes who do not stop and look before crossing... If I hit one of them because they pulled on across in my blindspot after I had stopped, looked and took my turn to go, that is not only going to be my fault, but ruin my life (morally and possibly financially).

Not necessarily. We had a bicycle rental customer cruise through that intersection, assuming that he had the right-of-way no matter what. Well, he got hit by a van and went down. Not seriously hurt, but he was shaken up. In the end, he was issued a ticket for failure to yield. It seems that the law requires the bikes to stop before crossing. That seems reasonable and fair.

Regarding the re-design of that intersection, I have no strong opinions at this time.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I would sure hate to see any trees destroyed -- why not a traffic light?:dunno:

I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on my brakes for families of bicyclists rolling across 30A in Watercolor without stopping. Even worse than Seaside pedestrians. It's like they don't realize it's HIGHWAY 30A.

BTW I am very polite to pedestrians and bicyclists. I go out of my way to do a dead stop to let them cross 30A. This is paradise --- what's the rush?

So what if 30A westbound is backed up to Yellowfin occasionally? What's the rush?

Last edited: