• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
Hello, I too have been reading up on how to eliminate the dreaded beasts.

I've lived in this house (which sat empty for some time, surrounded by heavily wooded lots and on the Bay) in Point Washington for 2 months, and I've encountered 3 inside my master suite :shock: and one in the mailbox.

Its difficult to find good articles about them. Creepy stories galore! Facts, not so much. What I did learn;

As mentioned above, they love pine trees. (Somebody has to).
In new construction areas, they are looking for a new home since their home was disturbed. It should be temporary if they cant find their food of choice there.
Do not bring logs inside, and do not keep them too close to the house.
Trim bushes touching the house and remove dead leaves where they like to hide.
Eliminate their food sources and they'll need to move on (cockroaches, termites...)
Boric Acid applied around perimeter of home can help eliminate their food sources. (It is reasonably safe to use indoors behind fridge, oven, trash bins, but read precautions to decide for yourself).
Apply Deltamethrin Granules around the home on all 4 sides (I do not know if safe for pets, I have not used this)
Fill in cracks or gaps around home where they could come in, and apply weatherstripping to doors.
I hate to, but I use cockroach/bug spray all around my sliding glass doors & all exterior doorways.
There are glue strips you can buy that attracts them and then they stick & die.
They glow in the dark if you use a black light & your weapon of choice (a good heavy heel) you can hunt them down and tell them who's boss. I couldnt drink enough "bravery juice" to do that one.

I have not seen one in about a month now, but after writing this... it might take me a few minutes to get my feet down off this here chair...

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I've got to get rid of that wood pile behind the house as it's probably full of snakes and scorps, but now I'm afraid to. :blink:

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
I got stung once attempting to get up into the attic. Got me right on the neck!

Thanks for the ideas on what might keep them at bay. I have tried a bug killer that works on spiders, but not on the scorpions, even though it ssays it kills them. I sprayed directly onto a scorp out in my warehouse yesterday, 1/2 hour later it was still cruising around.
Had to make him a lot flatter before he quit moving. ;-)

Did you need to get treated in any way or did it just hurt like yell?

As for the bug spray, yeah no luck here... when I encountered my first "friend" I didnt know what to do, so I ran to the computer and Googled "How do I kill a scorpion" thinking it would say that bug spray would kill it. It actually said "Squish it. And when you think it is dead, squish it some more!"

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I've got to get rid of that wood pile behind the house as it's probably full of snakes and scorps, but now I'm afraid to. :blink:

Wear your rubber boots and gloves~~~~~
Be careful, ASH! ;-)

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Boric Acid applied around perimeter of home can help eliminate their food sources. (It is reasonably safe to use indoors behind fridge, oven, trash bins, but read precautions to decide for yourself).

Boric acid is highly toxic to pets and humans, so must be applied in places where they will not be able to touch or ingest it.

Diatomaceous earth is not toxic, in fact it can be eaten without causing harm. It is included in feed mixes for various livestock to control parasites, and is also included in some concoctions for human use around digestive health as well.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Did you need to get treated in any way or did it just hurt like yell?

It just hurt like heck. I would describe the pain as holding a match to your skin. It was a burning sensation.

I didn't treat it with anything. I would think anyone with allergies may act different. The only thing I'm allergic to is bills. :D

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Just remember to check inside your boots and gloves before you put them on!.....:D

Yep - got a spider bite once. OK, that's it, I can't come back to thread.....massive heeeeebeeeee geeeeebeeeees

Y'all be careful!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The few scorpions I've seen in SoWal have been loners, and I think that is how they are typically found. I doubt there is need to poison your entire house for something you can smash with one whack of your shoe.