• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you go at the posted time of 5pm, you won't be late. I've read of no changes in time, except in Andy's post above. Hands Across the Sand FB page still says 5pm-630pm.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yeah - I haven't been able to find any time changes so am assuming time has NOT changed - nothing in the paper, no answer at the Biophilia center or via email. :dunno:

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
Wont be able to make it as i wanted to...will someone be so kind as to post a summary here tonight?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Until some rambling loon got up to rail about Venezuela it seemed to be a very civil and informed presentation.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Interesting and informative event - and was very glad to see people were well behaved - no shouting out or heckling or cell phones ringing.

After attending I am even more convinced that drilling in our Gulf is a truly horrible idea.

On one side you have the oil company lobbyist (not the promoted speaker because that guy had to be in Tally for meetings which tells you they aren't tabling this issue) who disregards recent spills & accidents and continues to tout technology as the reason why it won't happen in the future (the other panelists actually took turns completely refuting this BTW), and who can tell us exactly how many jobs, benefits, and millions of barrels we can potentially get - but is stumped and refers to the need for seismic research when questioned as to when these jobs will materialize, when oil will actually go to market, how many platforms there will be, if it will effect prices etc.

On the other you have a former military man and consultant who actually trains people how to clean up the spills (and still has oil under his nails 'cuz that sheet don't ever go away) and an environmentalist who did a good job of restraining himself while Sr. Oil was lying and wasting time to cut off questions.

I know this synopsis sounds one sided, but that is only (I made a huge effort to be open-minded and didn't even put my name on the list for questions) because the different arguments presented were overwhelmingly in favor of NOT DRILLING.

The biggest item I came away with was that allowing drilling in state waters is really just the stepping stone to opening up the federal waters. Oil companies are not throwing millions and lobbyists at this because they want to drill 2-10 miles offshore. They are doing it because if they open up these waters, they can get the 10-100 mile range.

And while folks may be tempted to vote because they are desperate for jobs, please remember that not only are those jobs unlikely to materialize, we will be losing tourism and military jobs on an epic scale. Much of the value of our current bases is that we can test military tech there - and if we open these areas for drilling much of our bases' value goes away - not to mention how real estate and tourism will plummet once we have oil rigs on the horizon and tar balls on our once white beaches.

Was very proud of some fellow Sowallers who brought up points I hadn't yet considered - like what happens to the rigs & infrastructure once they aren't producing oil.

It is very telling that noone who has worked on a rig or lived in a state that allows drilling thinks this is a good idea. I am very used to differing opinions and people arguing, but the opinions I am hearing are very consistent - even though the people I am hearing them from are incredibly diverse.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
Holy Crap ScooterBug...that was one of..and I mean top 3 of all time that Ive ever seen, pieces of non judgmental, great writing and coverage of an event....wow...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just to clarify, and I would like to thank Eric Draper for pointing this out, is that we are literally betting the house on a very short gain.

In 2007 the US was using 20,680,000 barrels per day. That's each and every day.

Oil consumption (most recent) by country

The current projected oil reserves off the coast of Florida that are currently protected are, according to Fox News, between 16 and 21 billion barrels. Oddly the number given at tonight's forum was 150 million and went undisputed by the oil lobbyist. Even if the estimate of 21 billion barrels of oil is correct and we ceased purchasing oil from any other country we would be completely out of oil in about 2 years and 10 months. Since the lower figure went unchallenged then we would be out of oil in just over a week.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks for the reports - keep it coming guys.

Off Shore Drilling Public Forum
Drilling opponents held an open forum tonight at South Walton High School, urging the public to get involved.
They want people to contact their local legislators and congressmen to let them know they're against oil and natural gas exploration off the Florida coastline.
Organizers are trying to discredit what they call misconceptions about the benefits of drilling.
Eric Draper is a political lobbyist out of Tallahassee and says "they make the claim that drilling for oil off of Florida’s beaches is going to increase state revenue. They talk about generating about 2-3 billion dollars. It's not true. They talk about lower gas prices. Not true. People believe them but it's not true. They talk about energy independence. Not true. They say that polls support them, that people actually want them. It's not true. And they say it's safe. And I gotta tell you something, out of all the claims, that one really isn't true."
The U.S. Senate Energy Committee approved a measure last summer that would allow oil and gas drilling as close as 45 miles off Florida Panhandle beaches.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
http://skytruth.mediatools.org/sites/default/files/photo_import/1904/935/11938-lg.jpg

This is a picture of the oil spills after Katrina. Over 741,000 gallons spilled from 124 reported offshore sources. (An additional 7-9 million gallons were spilled onshore from refineries, pipelines, and storage tanks).

Please note that these were all rigs, wells, and pipelines that had been "properly" shut down prior to the storm.

As Mr. McLain stated, regulations* do NOT require that they purge the pieplines - so they don't because it is expensive. The pipes are still full of oil and when they break they spill all the oil in a matter of hours and this is the result.

Please also note than many offshore drilling proponents (including the Secretary of Energy) also publicly stated "not a single drop of oil was spilled" during either Rita or Katrina.

*A big issue is that Florida does not currently have any rules and regulations about drilling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.