• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Burning Bowl Ceremony Sunday, 1/2/11 at 5pm

Is anyone interested in participating in a Burning Bowl ceremony to usher in the new year? During the ceremony, participants write down all those things they wish to release - negative emotions, bad habits, beliefs that no longer serve us, baggage from bad or ended relationships - basically anything you don't want following you into 2011. Then the list is burned in a large bowl (hence the name) and released to the Universe. (There are multiple references to variations of the Burning Bowl ceremony on the net. Evidently, it's a fairly common practice among Unity churces.)

Burning Bowl Ceremony - letting go and opening up - Los Angeles Spiritual Perspectives | Examiner.com

The Burning Bowl Ceremony: A New Way of Letting Go - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

I've never attended this type of ceremony, but am intrigued by it. I thought either Saturday, January 1st or Sunday, January 2nd might be a good time. (I work until 7pm on Saturday, so 7:30 is the earliest I can do it that day. Or we could do it Sunday at sunset or later.) All the new year hoopla will be over, and there'll be more time for introspection and contemplation. For those with an astrological bent, those dates precede the solar eclipse on January 4th. Solar eclipses denote new beginnings, so ridding ourselves of unwanted "stuff" will help clear the way for the new and desired.

As a counterpart to the releasing aspect of the ceremony, I thought it might be a good opportunity to also list those things we wish to welcome into our lives in 2011. We can then re-visit those lists during a follow-up ceremony near the spring equinox, or simply hang onto them as a reminder of our focus.

Let me know if you're interested. I realize it's short notice, but this whole thing is pretty fluid. We can determine where on the beach we meet, and there's still time to get a fire permit. Since we're operating under broad parameters, we can make it up as we go along, and put our own sowal stamp on the whole thing.

What do you think? :wave:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Is anyone interested in participating in a Burning Bowl ceremony to usher in the new year? During the ceremony, participants write down all those things they wish to release - negative emotions, bad habits, beliefs that no longer serve us, baggage from bad or ended relationships -

That's what the lounge is for. :lol:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Is anyone interested in participating in a Burning Bowl ceremony to usher in the new year? During the ceremony, participants write down all those things they wish to release - negative emotions, bad habits, beliefs that no longer serve us, baggage from bad or ended relationships - basically anything you don't want following you into 2011. Then the list is burned in a large bowl (hence the name) and released to the Universe. (There are multiple references to variations of the Burning Bowl ceremony on the net. Evidently, it's a fairly common practice among Unity churces.)

Burning Bowl Ceremony - letting go and opening up - Los Angeles Spiritual Perspectives | Examiner.com

The Burning Bowl Ceremony: A New Way of Letting Go - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

I've never attended this type of ceremony, but am intrigued by it. I thought either Saturday, January 1st or Sunday, January 2nd might be a good time. (I work until 7pm on Saturday, so 7:30 is the earliest I can do it that day. Or we could do it Sunday at sunset or later.) All the new year hoopla will be over, and there'll be more time for introspection and contemplation. For those with an astrological bent, those dates precede the solar eclipse on January 4th. Solar eclipses denote new beginnings, so ridding ourselves of unwanted "stuff" will help clear the way for the new and desired.

As a counterpart to the releasing aspect of the ceremony, I thought it might be a good opportunity to also list those things we wish to welcome into our lives in 2011. We can then re-visit those lists during a follow-up ceremony near the spring equinox, or simply hang onto them as a reminder of our focus.

Let me know if you're interested. I realize it's short notice, but this whole thing is pretty fluid. We can determine where on the beach we meet, and there's still time to get a fire permit. Since we're operating under broad parameters, we can make it up as we go along, and put our own sowal stamp on the whole thing.

What do you think? :wave:

I think it's a great idea. Sunday would be good for me. This has always been one of my favorite things about Unity Church. It is such a freeing ceremony.
Let's do it.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Hey Miss Critter, I think it's a fantastic idea! I'm in! :clap:

Sunday would also work for me... I usually spend NYD with the fam, doing the peas and greens thing... But I can fall in line with whatever works for everyone else. I have no life. :lol::cool:

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Not sure what I will be doing New Year's Day, but anything that involves lighting things on fire and losing negativity (is that a double negative :lol:) sounds good to me!

Does it have to be ceremonial, or can I just fire up my redneck paper shredder (bbq grill)?

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
That's what the lounge is for. :lol:

What happens in the lounge, stays in the lounge. :cool:

I think it's a great idea. Sunday would be good for me. This has always been one of my favorite things about Unity Church. It is such a freeing ceremony.
Let's do it.

Glad you're in, Glenda. And Sunday is mo' bettah for me. Since you have actually attended these, I welcome your input as to the ceremony particulars. :wave:

I go to the same type of ceremony on Ash Wednesday. It is very meaningful for me.

As a Catholic, I've done the traditional Ash Wednesday service. Do you do something like this, BR? I'd think the Lenten season would be a great time to let go of the negative prior to the ultimate rebirth.

Hey Miss Critter, I think it's a fantastic idea! I'm in! :clap:

Sunday would also work for me... I usually spend NYD with the fam, doing the peas and greens thing... But I can fall in line with whatever works for everyone else. I have no life. :lol::cool:

Yay! Not yay that you have no life; yay that you're with us. :roll:

Not sure what I will be doing New Year's Day, but anything that involves lighting things on fire and losing negativity (is that a double negative :lol:) sounds good to me!

Does it have to be ceremonial, or can I just fire up my redneck paper shredder (bbq grill)?

Redneck paper shredders work just fine. But come light fires with us. :D

:lol: right on....

Does this mean you're in, too, ssb?

How about we aim for Sunday, January 2nd around sunset - 5pm? Weather.com calls for highs Sunday in the mid-50s, lows in the upper 30s, so the sooner after sunset, the warmer/better. The forecast also calls for a slight chance of rain, so we may need to reschedule, but perhaps we can decide that early enough in the day.

If y'all want to pm me with your emails, I'll reciprocate and we can easily notify everyone if we have to reschedule. I'll get the fire permit today or tomorrow morning, and a cord of wood. Does anyone have a wash tub or burn barrel we can use? If not, I'll pick one of those up, too.

I'm open as to the location. What beach access works best for everyone?

Thanks for participating! I hope we can grow this into an annual event, and look forward to the positive change we manifest for ourselves and our community.