• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
My rules for the fry contest:

- no corn starch coating to make it crispy even though it's been under the heat lamp for 2 hours. Hello! Fries are supposed to taste like grease and potatoes not corn starch.

- If they've been out of the hot oil for more than 5 minutes drop them in the trash can on your way to my table. You are not going to make my list if you ever put them under a heat lamp.

- do not put any salt or seasoning on them. I'll handle that thank you.

- I require decent ketchup. And no packets! By the time I open the required 22 packets my fries are either eaten or cold, and I have ketchup all over my hands.

------------

Damn you mexican restaurant industry! You make some excellent fries. How come all of you decided to start using packets on the same day?

Kurt,
Best individual ketchup dispensers ever in Australia. You just squeeze the two ends of the packet and it all pops it. Not like squeezing tube toothpaste which is slow. We used them on "chips" (Australian for fries). "Chips" are the standard bar food there. $6 a serving.

In contrast, in Spain even in a restaurant where the meal is $100 and above per person, it is stylish to serve chips as an appetizer. But those chips are like our Lay's classic potato chips. Weird.

Here's a photo of the ingenious ketchup packet and a "chip" at a bar snack in Australia.

Attachments

• ketchup.jpg
    ketchup.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 119

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
My rules for the fry contest:

- no corn starch coating to make it crispy even though it's been under the heat lamp for 2 hours. Hello! Fries are supposed to taste like grease and potatoes not corn starch.

- If they've been out of the hot oil for more than 5 minutes drop them in the trash can on your way to my table. You are not going to make my list if you ever put them under a heat lamp.

- do not put any salt or seasoning on them. I'll handle that thank you.

- I require decent ketchup. And no packets! By the time I open the required 22 packets my fries are either eaten or cold, and I have ketchup all over my hands.

------------

Damn you mexican restaurant industry! You make some excellent fries. How come all of you decided to start using packets on the same day?

Thank you!! My feelings exactly! Make 'em fresh crinkles and they're a winner in my book.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
frozen'll do too. i bet there's not many fresh crinkles around any more. sadly.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
No packets - just refill the bottle on the table as needed.

I think what else is in the oil improves flavor - biggest mistake McDonald's ever made was stopping the beef fat for their fries.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
My favorites on 30A are Pandora's (big, fat, starchy steak fries!), Flip Flops (big, fat, starchy string cut fries!) and Sally's (frozen, fat, starchy crinkles fries!)... Can you tell I don't care for 'em crispy?

Truth be told, I never met a french fry I didn't like :drool:, but I do like some more than others...

McTighes' are good for the grease factor, but are too skinny. They are, however, instantly moved to the top of my list when consumed with Ms. Kitty after an evening of smokin', drinkin', cussin' and dancin' to Redd's singin' over at Sally's next door...

That makes them EPIC! :cool: :love:

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Kit, you are absolutely right. Kitty makes everything better!!