• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The TDC could also put out a brochure available to all who rent their places that covers "do's" and "don'ts" for the beach. Many of our owners give some information such as "don't walk or play on the dunes" but it is often not complete and is not standardized. If they already do this, I have not heard about it.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
The TDC could also put out a brochure available to all who rent their places that covers "do's" and "don'ts" for the beach. Many of our owners give some information such as "don't walk or play on the dunes" but it is often not complete and is not standardized. If they already do this, I have not heard about it.

Here is one brochure they have produced that has a good bit of information. And it is downloadable...

http://www.visitsouthwalton.com/visitor-guide-brochures

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
One last point about the Eastern Lake - The Neighborhood Assn along with the county actually has a permit from the DEP to open the lake whenever it reaches a certain height. An engineering firm was contracted with and using past data, an actual historical trigger point was established. So mother nature and the county can actually cause the lake to open however I have observed tourists actually trying to open the lake at times and when this actually happens, the outflow can change. Any brochure developed should also clearly state that opening any coastal dune lake is illegal and can be subject to a fine.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Here is one brochure they have produced that has a good bit of information. And it is downloadable...

Not bad for a start, but the main problem is that it is not widely distributed, and more importantly, it isn't encouraged. The "corporate culture" at the TDC needs to change. Environmental preservation needs to become a deeply held value and not just another marketing tool. If the TDC had the right mindset, they could do so much more with their resources. And they never would have gotten the idea of putting a so-called discovery center on land purchased with taxpayer preservation funds.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think the main thing to remember is that we are dealing with nature. It will not always do what you want and you cannot micromanage it.

Renters going home because of where the outfall is located is like them going home because it rains or there is a red flag up.

Wavewatcher

Beach Lover
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I have a vacation rental home at the Eastern Lake access and my current renters just went home early due to the inaccessibility of the beach because of the outfall encroaching that western side... My next guests are a wedding on the beach right there....

Does anyone know if there are plans to "re-route" the outfall?? This could have a major impact on rentals in that area not to mention the danger. It is quite an active access point!

Any suggestions for who to contact? Any help would be appreciated.

My suggestion is that you contact Mother Nature. Boo Hoo for your renters that couldn't find another place to access the beach. No ONE should be messing with these lakes they are rare and should be guided by nature. Danger, really?

Last edited: