• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Anyone notice the giant realtor and rental agency signs starting to pop up along 30A neighborhoods? I'm sure you have becasue you can't miss them. Billboard is a bit of an exaggeration but they might as well be in our charming village of SoWal.

Hard to believe a Walco sign ordinance allows giant signs on individual properties. They look like the same large size as allowed for a business. Can we all agree that one traditional size yard sign is enough? I have no doubt if rules aren't changed (or existing limits enforced if there are any) then every house for sale or rent will have giant signs before you know it.

30A Escapes and Linda Miller come to mind but there are others. If it is technically legal then to you and anyone else putting up giant gaudy signs ruining our community I say: just because you can doesn't mean you should.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I saw these signs yesterday and they have grown much larger than previous years. Just tacky.

Pretty soon we'll have inflatable gorillas and other blow up monstrosities calling attention to everyone's beach front homes they are now selling due to Customary Use.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
Beachy Beach and Hillary Farnum seem to have started this trend of massive signage to either exploit the local rules or see how far they can push things. They will continue to grow larger and multiply until someone shuts them down. I thought there was a sign ordinance that dictated the size and nature of the signage.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Beachy Beach and Hillary Farnum seem to have started this trend of massive signage to either exploit the local rules or see how far they can push things. They will continue to grow larger and multiply until someone shuts them down. I thought there was a sign ordinance that dictated the size and nature of the signage.

I'm sure there is a Sign Ordinance, but as usual, no Enforcement.

So, here's my solution:

The County needs to hire, full-time, the volunteer Citizens Services Woman, Leah (not sure how to spell her name).

She is the best thing going as you always see her out WORKING, and she's a volunteer at that.

I see her moving the tourists that like to park in the Public's Fire Lane, I see her getting on to the entitled construction workers that block the intersection at Dune Allen and 30A and park in front of the fire plug. She is always out directing traffic at a crash scene while others stand around.

If she had Code Enforcement Authority, we'd have a much better SoWal!!!

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I'm sure there is a Sign Ordinance, but as usual, no Enforcement.

So, here's my solution:

The County needs to hire, full-time, the volunteer Citizens Services Woman, Leah (not sure how to spell her name).

She is the best thing going as you always see her out WORKING, and she's a volunteer at that.

I see her moving the tourists that like to park in the Public's Fire Lane, I see her getting on to the entitled construction workers that block the intersection at Dune Allen and 30A and park in front of the fire plug. She is always out directing traffic at a crash scene while others stand around.

If she had Code Enforcement Authority, we'd have a much better SoWal!!!
You are so right! If only we could clone her!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
We can't clone her but we can put positive pressure on the powers that be to finally actually hire and promote a competent employee (her) to a position that they are more than qualified for and capable of performing, that would do us all a lot of good (which is probably why we won't see this happen).

What is her full name, does anyone know? She deserves a medal.

She should run Code Enforcement.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for starting this post. We must do something NOW! Walton COUNTY PLEASE STOP PEOPLE FROM RUINING OUR COMMUNITY!

I drove down a section of our "SCENIC" highway yesterday and snapped random samples - the later ones are monument signs at businesses which are "normal" for a business. The county limits the square footage of the signs. I assume signs for neighborhoods like Watersound beach have similar rules. It looks like individual rentals and properties for sale are using the same rule. This needs to be changed. I've included a few pics of yard signs what we traditionally are used to seeing from realtors and agents - if we don't stop this trend then all of the small signs will be replaced by giant ones before you know it.

img.jpg img-02.jpg img-03.jpg img-04.jpg img-05.jpg img-06.jpg img-07.jpg img-09.jpg img-10.jpg img-20.jpg

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
As many on here have mentioned the sandwich boards have gottne ridiculous in number. And places like the hub take advantage of normal sign rules by putting up mutiple signs because technically they are more than one business.

As Jim said - JUST because you can do it doesn't mean you should!

img-12.jpg img-25.jpg