• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tide12

Beach Lover
May 9, 2006
Local Catch is another that serves the coated garbage. I'll not eat there again unless/until that changes.

Jerry Lewis

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
Pickles
South of Philly
Marie's
McTighes
98 BBQ
McDonald's
Chic fillet
Shades
Five Guys

I think South of Philly are my favorite even though they are not hand cut, they are perfect "diner fries" and always right out of the fryer which is crucial for good ones. McTighes is best hand cut.

Most Mexican restaurants have good fries - they know how to fry and don't use coated crap. Although I hate that most started using ketchup packets a few years ago.

tide12

Beach Lover
May 9, 2006
Pickles
South of Philly
Marie's
McTighes
98 BBQ
McDonald's
Chic fillet
Shades
Five Guys

I think South of Philly are my favorite even though they are not hand cut, they are perfect "diner fries" and always right out of the fryer which is crucial for good ones. McTighes is best hand cut.

Most Mexican restaurants have good fries - they know how to fry and don't use coated crap. Although I hate that most started using ketchup packets a few years ago.
Gotta disagree on Chik fil-A, don't like waffle fries. McDonald's fries are good
IF they're straight out of the grease and onto your tray. Five Guys, 98 Barbecue are fine. Chiringo rules, as stated earlier. A step up in budget from the others, but Fleming's Steakhouse has great hand cut fries. As does Ruth's Chris, which one would expect. Seagar's "fries" are very good, but they're really what I'd call potato wedges.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Ketchup packets should be banned, I tell you!! It's un-American to have to fight two or three aluminum packets to get a good glob of ketchup!!

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
98 BBQ fries are just like homemade ones. Finally went to the new Seagrove Village Market and they still have those really nasty coated fries. George's fries were very good....thought they might make the switch after they sold George's and settled on the market location. Don't think we will be back.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I won't eat at any place that serves those damned abominable coated fries, period. Hear that, Whiskey Bravo? Grayton Seafood? Matter of fact, I'd like a list of every place in the area that shovels that garbage, so I can avoid them all.

Grayton Seafood now has good fries (I think they heard our plea), but even when they had coated fries I was ok because instead I got their delicious cheese grits, slaw, and FRIED OKRA!

Also love: South of Philly, McTighes, Marie's, Stinky's, Pickle's, Steamboat Grill (Seagrove), The Bay and several local spots around town. The Red Bar has semi crappy/coated fries that are just barely coated enough to notice - don't like them but I eat them anyway OR order the onion rings instead which are awesome. Local Catch now has good fries but when I go there (and other places) I usually like their cheese grits and other sides instead. Just depends.

I'm thinking Great Southern has crappy fries but I don't care because their cheese grits are everything.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
Grayton Seafood now has good fries (I think they heard our plea), but even when they had coated fries I was ok because instead I got their delicious cheese grits, slaw, and FRIED OKRA!

Also love: South of Philly, McTighes, Marie's, Stinky's, Pickle's, Steamboat Grill (Seagrove), The Bay and several local spots around town. The Red Bar has semi crappy/coated fries that are just barely coated enough to notice - don't like them but I eat them anyway OR order the onion rings instead which are awesome. Local Catch now has good fries but when I go there (and other places) I usually like their cheese grits and other sides instead. Just depends.

I'm thinking Great Southern has crappy fries but I don't care because their cheese grits are everything.
We love Grayton Seafood. They are the best. Got their fries once and changed to the cheese grits....love them and always want extra to take home. Will now try their fries. Good news.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Local Catch is another that serves the coated garbage. I'll not eat there again unless/until that changes.

Local Catch changed to normal fries a while ago (not coated). However, I love their cheese grits too and other sides, so I didn't mind so much. Plenty of great sides.

LOVE the burger with two thin patties, bacon, cheese and topped with a fried egg, with a wonderful bun. The fried chicken sandwich with their hot wing sauce? Outstanding! Just a few of my favorite things at the Catch. Their salads are beautiful but can rarely get past the sandwich or pork nachos.