• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
People say these chairs are already paid for and that may or may not be completely true. Some vacation rentals include chair set ups as a part of their package so there are set-ups for people sitting there all week with no intention of being used. I wouldn't have an issue with the chair service if they were set up when the customer arrives and then removed when they leave, but that's not likely ever going to happen.

It is unfair to the tourists and locals to have to compete with empty chairs and professional businessess for a space on our PUBLIC beaches. Vacations should be relaxing and shouldn't require 5am wake-ups to claim a spot on the beach.

In my eyes, a simple fix to much of this issue would be to deny set-ups before 9 or 10am. This would give people plenty of time to "claim their spot" and would mitigate the taking over of 50% of the beach.
I like how you think Mike Smith!!

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
In my eyes, a simple fix to much of this issue would be to deny set-ups before 9 or 10am. This would give people plenty of time to "claim their spot" and would mitigate the taking over of 50% of the beach.

No it wouldn't because the TDC per BCC directives have allocated 50% percent of OUR beaches to vendors. They still get 50% whether chairs and set up's are there or not. If you do set up on their 50% you can and would be told to move.

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
No it wouldn't because the TDC per BCC directives have allocated 50% percent of OUR beaches to vendors. They still get 50% whether chairs and set up's are there or not. If you do set up on their 50% you can and would be told to move.
But there are vendors setting up on both sides now early some are using the cheap store bought backpack chairs and umbrellas/ tents.

Hangingout

Beach Crab
Jul 16, 2017
Alabama
I have to agree. It's extremely frustrating to carry all your stuff to the beach and when you get there, the entire beach is lined with empty chairs that people never sit in. We purchased a unit in Seagrove in 2010. The beach access where we typically go has no parking spaces and no restrooms. Yet, the beach is covered in vendor chairs. This wasn't an issue at that time the unit was purchased. However, its unbelievable how much it has changed in a few short years. It's almost not enjoyable to go any more. What can be done? I think the vendors should be required to be present all the time and set up as the chairs are rented with real people. All of the chairs are not rented when they are set up. In fact, most are not. It's simply not true.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I have always said: "NO SET UP TIL THEY SHOW UP"
A must on "PUBLIC" beaches....:dunno:
I think a vast majority of people agree with you.

Problem is the County doesn't want to hear what any of us have to say. Certain BCC Members are too busy catering to their Special Interest Groups.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I think a vast majority of people agree with you.

Problem is the County doesn't want to hear what any of us have to say. Certain BCC Members are too busy catering to their Special Interest Groups.

And their children who are vendors.