• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
Its been a disaster for Grayton, the park was already operating at or near capacity in the summer last year. While the intent was to alleviate parking along 30a it did nothing of the sort, nor should the county be trying to use the parks as overflow parking while telling the BCC and citizens its so that "people can appreciate our natural areas." It degrades our natural areas and causes a strain on the parks budget, a former park manager should know this, but perhaps that is why he no longer works for the parks. They were told that $50,000 wouldn't be enough as Grayton made nearly $80,000 in day use money last year, and it wasn't, the 50k ran out about 3 weeks ago. Topsail doesn't come close on the amount of day use Grayton does. People simply don't want to ride a tram to the beach, most of the increase at Topsail has been people like John G, locals coming in on a regular basis, riding bikes, walking dogs, running, etc. Grayton is much busier in terms of day use and there wasn't much room for growth. I'm not sure what else the park can endure, free parking program, sheriff/code constantly driving on the beach, watercolor using the east end as over spill for its resort, snorkel reef off the beach (underwater museum coming soon), DEP trying to allow vendors on the beach, people walking dogs,ad nauseum, ad infinitum. Not much room any more for nesting shorebirds, turtles, or anything else non anthropogenic that has the highest claim for customary use on our beaches. These are the last areas we have that wildlife can use, rest, nest, feel safe. But these areas become smaller and smaller every year, always another reason to chip away, it never seems to go the other way. Hopefully the program will discontinued next year.

Before I lived here, I was not much of a preservationist. But spend any amount of time exploring not only the beaches, but the springs, the forests, the PARKS, you quickly become taken with the diverse natural beauty here. Eagles, ospreys, shore birds, bears :) and other wildlife can be seen daily. Personally, it is comparable to the feeling when you visit Zion, Yosemite, Glacier National Parks. This place is unique.

I really think the time is now to organize, start meeting up, sharing ideas, on how to preserve what is still here.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Before I lived here, I was not much of a preservationist. But spend any amount of time exploring not only the beaches, but the springs, the forests, the PARKS, you quickly become taken with the diverse natural beauty here. Eagles, ospreys, shore birds, bears :) and other wildlife can be seen daily. Personally, it is comparable to the feeling when you visit Zion, Yosemite, Glacier National Parks. This place is unique.

I really think the time is now to organize, start meeting up, sharing ideas, on how to preserve what is still here.
Nice post. In the past, before rampant development, it was easier to defend. There was a higher percentage of people here who loved the natural environment and spent time and effort protecting it. For a couple of decades now many people have moved here chasing dollars. Even some people who moved here for the beach have been seduced by money.

Sadly I suppose this is not a new story in human history.