• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Margie Jordan is that you ? ? ? <- Yes, those are question marks!

It's racist to assume that people who like something or couldn't be bothered by something that bothers you, are racist.

A racist uses his/her beliefs to put others down.

Racist is a term people use for something that they believe isn't fair.

A racist has no other task in life but to degrade and demean people of different opinions or skin color.

A racist is someone who makes crude remarks to another or insults them.

A racist is more obsessed with thinking about the past rather than thinking about the future.

Looking back over this thread @Jenksy...if the shoe fits...

A troll is one who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

A troll is a member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation!!

A troll is someone who uses social media to call someone else a racist idiot.

Again @Jenksy if the shoe fits for craps sake put the damn thing on!

By the way @Jenksy, Kurt has banned others for less than what you have gotten away with.

You mean banned like yourself?

I didn't call anyone a racist idiot. I think you doth protest too much.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
It's futile to argue with self righteous individuals who are immersed in politically correct dogma.
Actually it's futile to argue with shallow minded individuals who lack empathy and refuse to view the world beyond their own life experiences. We still try knowing their ignorance is by choice and minds can be changed.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Actually it's futile to argue with shallow minded individuals who lack empathy and refuse to view the world beyond their own life experiences. We still try knowing their ignorance is by choice and minds can be changed.

I don't think anyone here lacks empathy and no one has denied slavery existed or that it's wrong to own another human being. Having grown up at the height of the Civil Rights Era and the days of Dr. Martin Luther King I saw first hand political and social gains made by blacks. Do we still have a long way to go? Assuredly we do.

By the same, token a flag doesn't define who I am as a person and you simply can't erase history by destroying all remnants of our past. It is what it is.

Guns are used to kill people but I'm not advocating removing guns from our society. Hate mongers exist. I chose not to participate in their hate and recognize just how ignorant people can be. I can't change them or remove their hate.

We currently have a president who is in my opinion a hate monger and a racist but rather than you folks advocating to remove him from office you want to sit here and cry over a flag. Hypocrite much?

I think there are far bigger fish to fry right here in Walton County (and more so on a national scale) with corrupt politicians and robbers of the county coffers than there is in worrying about historical artifacts and trying to change peoples perception of what that flag personally means to them.

No bigoted opinion of yours needed Jenksy. I already know your hate. Don't care!

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
By the same, token a flag doesn't define who I am as a person and you simply can't erase history by destroying all remnants of our past. It is what it is.
The underlined portion of your reply is the ignorance I was referring to. You want your version of the past preserved. As has been repeatedly stated no one is trying to erase history. Let's tell the story from a different perspective, one that gets to the root cause of the conlict, slavery. Preseserve or recreate the slave living conditions, the auction blocks where humans were bought and sold, the lynchings, the legal beatings of one's "property", the breaking up of families for profit, public display of the laws of the day allowing such acts to take place, and anything else that will accurately convey to the public the true horrors of the era. It's time we move beyond celebrating and glorifying those who fought to preserve slavery. Let's instead celebrate and build monuments to those in the south who risked everything help bring an end to the conflict and set people free.

Two lawmakers in South Carolina, Reps. Bill Chumley and Mike Burns, filed a bill last year to create a monument to the state's black Confederate soldiers. This was their stated goal.
This monument can help educate current and future generations of a little-known -- but important -- part of South Carolina history," Burns said back in October in a statement to CNN affiliate WIS. "These African-Americans, like many of their Caucasian contemporaries, stepped up to defend their home state during a tumultuous time in our country's history. Their service has largely been overlooked or forgotten.
The only problem is there weren't any black troops serving from South Carolina. It would humorous if it wasn't so tragic that they only wanted to celebrate the blacks that fought for the Confederate cause and that no one had ever bothered to verify the role of blacks in South Carolinas contribution to the effort. Walter Edgar, a historian from South Carolina, said there's no evidence there were ever any black soldiers that fought under the Confederate banner.
In all my years of research, I can say I have seen no documentation of black South Carolina soldiers fighting for the Confederacy, In fact, when secession came, the state turned down free (blacks) who wanted to volunteer because they didn't want armed persons of color."
There were blacks in the Confederate army, but they were either slaves or free blacks forced to work without pay as cooks or servants.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
You keep saying my version of the past and I keep repeating to you time and again I don't have a version. I personally never owned a slave and never condoned slavery.

There are always two sides to a story and somewhere in the middle is the truth of it. Who are you or anyone else to tell someone that they have to believe your version of what occurred? Who are you to tell historians right here in Walton County what they and or their own ancestors want to convey in regard to what they believed they were fighting for?

I think the lie that bothers me most is that slavery was a "southern institution" and is exclusive to the South. It isn't true now and it wasn't true then. If the truth were told, slavery existed both North and South. Institutions of higher learning including many historians have chosen to disguise or consciously ignore the participation of blacks during the Civil War and that slave labor helped build this Nation including the very foundations that now want to deny their part in perpetuating slavery to include the buying and selling of human beings, the lynchings, the beatings etc., ET AL.

To erase or try to marginalize the truth perpetuates the great american lie that Southerners are just a bunch of racist, hate mongering, ignorant, red necks who wish to keep slavery alive by erecting monuments to the civil war while waving the confederate flag.

The fact that Margie Jordan who Chairs the Democratic Party here in Walton County spews some of the most racist, hate filled, rhetoric I've ever heard in Walton County, is cause enough to disassociate from the Party altogether.