• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com
You are hereby notified that the Walton County Tourist Development Council will hold a public meeting on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 2:00 PM at the South Walton Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Boulevard, Santa Rosa Beach, Florida.

The purpose of this meeting is to discuss changes coming to Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO) that could affect home owners, rental companies, and tourists. For additional information regarding the public meeting, contact Christine Packer at 850-267-1216 or christine@visitsouthwalton.com

..................... more info from Christine:

VRBO has recently announced changes to their business model that may impact guests and rental management companies, such as:

• Increased fees for renters and rental management companies

• Removal of individual rental management companies’ branding from VRBO listings

• Customer service calls/emails will be handled through VRBO call centers, taking away direct customer service from local management companies

• VRBO will begin selling services previously provided through the local rental management companies

This meeting will be an opportunity for rental owners and rental management companies to interact with one another and determine the best path forward to protect South Walton rental companies and safeguard the South Walton guest experience.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
any ideas what this TDC meeting on VRBO is about?

The purpose of this meeting is to discuss changes coming to Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO) that could affect home owners, rental companies, and tourists. For additional information regarding the public meeting, contact Christine Packer at 850-267-1216 o

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
VRBO has changed their method of doing business. Instead of being an advertising portal for rental owners (and management companies), they now collect the money from the guest and remit directly to the owner. Whereas that might be great for individual rental owners, it is tough for the rental management companies - many of whom have put their clients' properties on VRBO for exposure and, unless the owner turns their rental income or at least the commission over to the company, are now out of the loop except for possibly being the housekeeping service.
Personally, I am very glad that I no longer have the job I used to have, as that would be an absolute nightmare. The TDC has good reason to be concerned.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
VRBO has changed their method of doing business. Instead of being an advertising portal for rental owners (and management companies), they now collect the money from the guest and remit directly to the owner. Whereas that might be great for individual rental owners, it is tough for the rental management companies - many of whom have put their clients' properties on VRBO for exposure and, unless the owner turns their rental income or at least the commission over to the company, are now out of the loop except for possibly being the housekeeping service.
Personally, I am very glad that I no longer have the job I used to have, as that would be an absolute nightmare. The TDC has good reason to be concerned.
Why would the TDC be involved in relationships between owners, rental companies, and a 3rd party?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
TDC is not the Dicatorship they think they are....VRBO sets the rules (like or not)
Owners either get on board or get another rental portal..

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
TDC is not the Dicatorship they think they are....VRBO sets the rules (like or not)
Owners either get on board or get another rental portal..
Nobody said they were a dictator. They are probably trying to help people deal with changes.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Why would the TDC be involved in relationships between owners, rental companies, and a 3rd party?

The primary purpose of the TDC is to support the vacation rental business in South Walton, and, the TDC is funded in full by the bed tax, which often falls through the cracks when owners receive the rental money directly. If the owners realize that they have to collect and remit, wonderful, IF they know what to collect the tax on...but the world's largest vacation rental advertising service becoming involved in actual rentals takes business away from local property management companies, and in turn, opens the door for significant loss of revenue. The TDC by law cannot become involved in collecting the tax but they can certainly help to work with companies trying to retain their clients.

It is also beginning to create bookkeeping issues for our property managers, who have the potential to essentially become little more than housekeeping services. Last but not least, instead of the friendly property managers who want to showcase your rental property and the Emerald Coast in the best way possible and create happy visitors, many properties will be rented through a call center or email service in lord-only-knows where. Changes to be sure.

Like I said earlier - I am no longer involved in collection of the bed tax or property management, but I know enough about both to understand the concern.