• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Seems like regular people and businesses have a lot of guidelines and restrictions on keeping SoWal scenic but utility companies do whatever they want no matter how atrocious - flags, markers, poles, stakes, boxes, barriers, fences, trash, wires....

So much stuff in plain sight that people overlook but it adds up to making a place a mess.

And then there is the giant obvious honking stuff ... like this "welcome to grayton beach" lovely spot on SCENIC 283 ... how hard would it be to leave a 25 foot buffer of natural vegetation? Or add it now? A wall of Leland Cypress works wonders and require no maintenance.

2018-04-06 14.35.21.jpg

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The power station has been there a long time, hasn't it?? Was it put in before the scenic highway designation?

As far as the wires in the above picture, that is possibly the worst thing I've ever seen.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
That power station on 283 near Grayton is better looking than most of the new mini-hotel jumbo rental houses that are popping up everywhere!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
The power station has been there a long time, hasn't it?? Was it put in before the scenic highway designation?

As far as the wires in the above picture, that is possibly the worst thing I've ever seen.
Is un-scenic a grandfather issue?

Speaking of poop lift stations - what a brilliant idea to place them right beside the road at the entrance to a community. unsightly and stinky in one fowl swoop.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Is un-scenic a grandfather issue?.

If you like having electricity in Grayton and Seagrove, it probably is. Honestly, I am on those roads all the time and never really notice it is over there.

Not that there is any great place for a lift station, but entering Point Washington on 395 and also Bay Drive / East Point Washington Road are hard to ignore.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
If you like having electricity in Grayton and Seagrove, it probably is. Honestly, I am on those roads all the time and never really notice it is over there.

Not that there is any great place for a lift station, but entering Point Washington on 395 and also Bay Drive / East Point Washington Road are hard to ignore.
So if we require Chelco to add a landscape wall in front of their installations we won't get our lectricity?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I really think a landscape wall is a bit snobby (which is what everyone says about all of us down here anyway) and a silly waste of money, but feel free to get on the agenda of one of Chelco's Board of Trustees meetings. You may want to not be selective though and request one for every power station in Walton County. Make sure you leave an easement so they can work on it if needed.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I really think a landscape wall is a bit snobby (which is what everyone says about all of us down here anyway) and a silly waste of money, but feel free to get on the agenda of one of Chelco's Board of Trustees meetings. You may want to not be selective though and request one for every power station in Walton County. Make sure you leave an easement so they can work on it if needed.
Why can't we all be good neighbors? Why do the rest of us follow the rules but not utilities?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Why can't we all be good neighbors? Why do the rest of us follow the rules but not utilities?

How do you feel about the scenic county parking lot next to it? It's a lot bigger and uglier than the power station.

How about the scenic clearcutting on 395 without leaving a buffer?

How about that new scenic 40 foot tall 4000 square foot monster rental house that's 14 feet from your little beach house?

What rules are you talking about that would prevent these type of scenic catastrophes?