• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I am trying to understand why a public fishing pier is not being better supported. It allows people who do not have the means to own a boat to have the opportunity to catch cobia, mackerel, redfish etc. Our Gulf water is public just like the beach itself (at least the wet sand). Just my two cents in that the more we become a class society the more disconnected and unequal the opportunity for all. Our social infrastructure is becoming very hypocritical in both the haves and have nots. If we take the opportunity to share our good fortunes only good things will happen. The State Parks offer a physical infrastructure that makes sense for a fishing pier. There is no isolated area where you can put a fishing pier and avoid the mixing with the less privileged. I completely accept that I will be attacked for being a "troll" or "ignorant" or some other demeaning word. All I ask is to please take a deep breath and say or sing to yourself "everything is going to be alright" (Kenny Chesney song stuck in my head)...to have a fishing pier at a State Park! Survey done. Happy Father's Day and belated "Mother's Day to all the mothers and fathers!

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
I am trying to understand why a public fishing pier is not being better supported. It allows people who do not have the means to own a boat to have the opportunity to catch cobia, mackerel, redfish etc. Our Gulf water is public just like the beach itself (at least the wet sand). Just my two cents in that the more we become a class society the more disconnected and unequal the opportunity for all. Our social infrastructure is becoming very hypocritical in both the haves and have nots. If we take the opportunity to share our good fortunes only good things will happen. The State Parks offer a physical infrastructure that makes sense for a fishing pier. There is no isolated area where you can put a fishing pier and avoid the mixing with the less privileged. I completely accept that I will be attacked for being a "troll" or "ignorant" or some other demeaning word. All I ask is to please take a deep breath and say or sing to yourself "everything is going to be alright" (Kenny Chesney song stuck in my head)...to have a fishing pier at a State Park! Survey done. Happy Father's Day and belated "Mother's Day to all the mothers and fathers!
There is free fishing at the new pier / ramps at 331 bridge, and you can catch fish on the beach free, including Cobia. We do have about 29% of children in Walton County needing food assistance. There are better ways to deal with that than building a pier for tourists, which would be 98% of users I'm guessing. That said, I'm not against it. Just not sure it's needed the one at 331 is terrific.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
I voted for the pier and for it to be on Walton County property, NOT Deer Lake or Grayton State Park. Leave the state parks alone, as pristine as possible.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I voted for the pier and for it to be on Walton County property, NOT Deer Lake or Grayton State Park. Leave the state parks alone, as pristine as possible.
I tend to agree. What Walton County park has enough parking? Beach width for that matter?
Inlet Beach . Santa Clara . Van Ness Butler . Miramar Beach

Wouldn't it be a hoot to put it at VNB right between watercolor and seaside? I'm sure tourists would love it, and plenty of owners would hate it.

L.C. Bane

Beach Fanatic
Aug 8, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I tend to agree. What Walton County park has enough parking? Beach width for that matter?
Inlet Beach . Santa Clara . Van Ness Butler . Miramar Beach

Wouldn't it be a hoot to put it at VNB right between watercolor and seaside? I'm sure tourists would love it, and plenty of owners would hate it.

Well, it would give people a place to go since they aren't allowed on "their" beaches. The beach front owners should embrace it.

Wouldn't that be funny. "Stay off my beach!"

Okay

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Well, it would give people a place to go since they aren't allowed on "their" beaches. The beach front owners should embrace it.

Wouldn't that be funny. "Stay off my beach!"

Okay
They know it would bring more traffic and outsiders spilling over onto their private beaches.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Someone please explain to me what an "outsider" is. Is it someone from nowal? Is it tourist? Is it an "undesirable". Is it a "redneck" (you know those people with empty beer cans in the back of their pickup truck). I thought diversity was a good thing :)

Human civilization and pristine is an oxymoron. We have build over dunes. We have septic tanks leaking into the ocean. Civilization has pretty much "changed" the pure state of this planet. County, State and National Parks are a wonderful compromise between civilization and the natural earth but it ain't pristine. A fishing pier is a wonderful compromise in human diversity. Some people don't like hooks in the water close to "their" beach so this would be good for the beach people and those who want to put a hook in the water. I think their are more pros than cons to a fishing pier. If someone can tell of a better place than a State Park (in Walton County) then I will listen and learn.