• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
The new law signed by the governor himself is very self serving for select few property owners. The corruption and greed is eating into our natural resources and tourism and everything good about Florida. The beaches belong to everyone. And that does not include vendors.

Most excellent points!

When the people passed Amendment 1, Florida Forever, by a 75% "for" margin which would have provided $750 MILLION to acquire lands for preservation, and then the boys and girls in Tallahassee ignored the mandate and used the funds for other things, I knew we were in trouble. Legislature not increasing environmental protection despite Amendment 1 mandate | Florida's Water & Land Legacy

If you care about this majestic, unique state please start following Florida Conservation Voters,Florida Conservation Voters and also locally Safe Water For Walton, https://www.safewaterforwalton.org/

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The bill did not transfer the decision making to Tallahassee, it transferred it to the Courts. So statewide the courts decide. The bill was aimed directly at Walton County and only voided the Walton ordinance. But it did not change the status of the beaches. It just requires local governments to go to court and the courts decide. I do not think anyone should say the bill closed the beaches. It is bad PR and it could be used in court to challenge "uninterrupted."

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
I do think this bill interrupts use - that is the point - that is why we are so concerned...

We need clarification of access verses use now - Like Dave R. says in todays paper.

We should all attend Drakes' meeting at Walton High School about this Monday at 6:30 pm.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Huckabee - you LOOSE

trader of the people of Walton County and defender of the ELITE

There is justice in this world...

You do realize this executive order does not change anything regarding Huckabeach, right? The bill that Scott signed into law is still in effect. This is a PR stunt so that his campaign can tout him as "protecting the public's access to beaches", when in reality he is the tool that signed a bill into law that Floridians overwhelmingly opposed. Don't take the bait!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It's unclear what the governor intentions really are. I suppose Walton County will need to get more clarification... And I'm afraid Skunkape is right - the executive order will only last for so long... But for now - what does it mean for South Walton beaches?

“Today, I am ordering the Department of Environmental Protection to do everything in their power to advocate to keep our beaches open and public," Scott said. "Also, I am putting a moratorium on any new state regulation that could inhibit public beach access and also urging local government officials to take similar steps to protect Floridians’ access to the beach. Government’s job is to help solve problems, and in Florida, when there is an issue or confusion surrounding legislation, we take action to address it. Florida is the most beautiful state in the nation. We have hundreds of miles of pristine coastline and we are known for having the best beaches across the world. We absolutely cannot do anything that changes that.”

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
My suggestion is go sit on Vizcaya Beach and see what happens, or maybe on the beach behind Mr Huckabee's house.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
You certainly have to wonder why a Senator from NAPLES would sponsor a bill that only dealt with WALTON COUNTY.

Huckabee/Scott connection??

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
The co-author of the bill was from Sunrise,Fl......also no where near Walton County and has NO beaches.

The Sabols

Beach Comber
Aug 10, 2017
SRB
My suggestion is go sit on Vizcaya Beach and see what happens, or maybe on the beach behind Mr Huckabee's house.

I was at Vizcaya this afternoon and there was some actual police activity today. After an hour of back and forth, a gentleman and his family were relegated to the "wet sand" area. Good on him for not leaving.....this isn't a good look for this particular HOA and the "militant" approach isn't going unnoticed with locals or guests. The security guard marches up and down the beach like a NAZI on patrol. Whats even more embarrassing is watching owners on their balconies, with binoculars, spotting and pointing out the lowly outsiders.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I was at Vizcaya this afternoon and there was some actual police activity today. After an hour of back and forth, a gentleman and his family were relegated to the "wet sand" area. Good on him for not leaving.....this isn't a good look for this particular HOA and the "militant" approach isn't going unnoticed with locals or guests. The security guard marches up and down the beach like a NAZI on patrol. Whats even more embarrassing is watching owners on their balconies, with binoculars, spotting and pointing out the lowly outsiders.
I was there the other day at the access on the edge and it is embarrassing. Signs everywhere.

The real crime was the TV mounted on the porch of first house right next to the public access. It was around noon. No one on the porch. Probably not even in the house. The TV sound was all the way up you could hear it all over the beach.