• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mydogbabe

Beach Comber
Feb 2, 2014
Hi -

We own a home along 30A and are thinking of relocated in 2 years. Among the many things we're trying to understand about living FT in So Wal is the "dog culture". We're coming from the West Coast (California) which is doggy heaven with off-leash dog-friendly beaches, dog parks and open space, as well as a strong dog "infrastructure" in place, like dog walkers who take pets on off leash adventures and ample sitters that will stay at your home and playdates/meet-ups between dog owners like monthly doodle romps, that encourage dog (and people) socialization.

This forum is certainly a start, but are there other online resources more focused on dog-friendly resources along 30A or perhaps there is a place locally where "dog people" meet up?

Thanks for your help! We want to make sure the move works for the entire family :)

Jacqui

I personally don't like for our dog to be around other dogs unless the owners are my neighbors or family. I worry that the dogs she's around might not have all of their vaccinations or that she picks up some illness that costs me a big vet bill. We never let her go potty at a gas station or fast food place on the way to the beach. Lord knows what she could pick up. So we always stop at a church. Not many dogs hanging around there.

mydogbabe

Beach Comber
Feb 2, 2014
Thanks for responding Beach Runner. Are there places you avoid in going with your dog because other dogs are playing together and/or offleash? That might be a helpful start since I'm looking for people who do enjoy socializing with their dogs.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
mydogbabe, SoWal is dog heaven. As a resident/homeowner in Walton County, you know you can get the dog tag that allows you to take your pup to the beach during the designated hours.

As for playing with other dogs, I let mine play with any and all dogs. He has all his vaccinations, is healthy, drinks water from puddles on the street, wrestles with other dogs. He's a dog. :)

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
I personally don't like for our dog to be around other dogs unless the owners are my neighbors or family. I worry that the dogs she's around might not have all of their vaccinations or that she picks up some illness that costs me a big vet bill. We never let her go potty at a gas station or fast food place on the way to the beach. Lord knows what she could pick up. So we always stop at a church. Not many dogs hanging around there.

Yes, canine is few and far between at the churches. That is, except for St. Bernard's Catholic.:rotfl:

DestinDeb

Beach Lover
Sep 28, 2012
Hi. We've lived here with our dogs FT for almost four years. I wish there were more off leash opportunities for dogs and their people but all of the state parks require dogs to be on leash. The beach permits for dogs are great but they must be on leash and the hours they're allowed are pretty restrictive. My dog has her CGC certification and she listens better than most people's children but I get a lot of bad reactions whenever I walk her off leash on the boardwalks or on the trails in the state parks. The dog park is really in need of a makeover, and there is one in PCB and one in Destin but they're pretty far. I agree it's a little frustrating here to enjoy some off leash fun with your dog. Good luck.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We've reached that point of too many people visiting to allow dogs on the beach, except for certain hours for residents with proper permits only. Sad but true. On leash is required and a good idea. But many remote beach areas where I believe off leash is OK...

But if you know which trails and parks to visit for an adventure with your dog, then off leash is great in many uncrowded locations, such as point Washington state forest. Also, so many outdoor restaurants where dogs are welcome.

Online dog sources? You've found the online resource for people, places, and pets.