• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Shallows, I'll take exception to your opinions.

First, the TDC Director (regardless WHO they are) are doomed from the start. They have to answer to 6 or 7 bossess (Each BCC, Larry, the Public, special interests, etc.)

The past "director" Dawn was a mere puppet, her strings pulled by BCC members at will. Bagby was not a puppet and that's one of the reasons he's gone.

Another factor, as already pointed out, he's not "from here" and that seems to be the area in our county employment area that gets you the most attention. If your not "from here", you have taken a job away from a good ole boy (girl). You are immediately looked down upon and targeted.

As for your descriptions of Bagbys management style, I think that the words you use could also be interpreted as "professional, organized, and doesn't accept accuses for lack of performance / failures.

There are several employees there that have high paying jobs and very little to do. In the past (Dawn) this was tolerated, even accepted. With Bagby, it was not and it gathered enough push back that instead of supporting the person people put in a position to do a job, they went after him. Got to protect the good ole boys and girls ya'll...

Look for a much less qualified and less professional individual to be hired internally to fill Bagby's spot.
I don't refer to Dawn as "the past." That is awfully short-sighted. Several of these folks worked under Malcolm Patterson. Malcolm could be a hard-nose, but he realized the TDC was nothing if not for his employees.
These people survived through Malcom, Kriss, Sonny and Dawn...but Bagby was the straw that broke the camel's back. It has nothing to do with being from here. It is about treating your employees - ALL of them, not just those you brought in - fairly and with respect, not derision.

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
You made your point a few posts ago. I don't think this is the time or place to kick a man when he is down. Or maybe he's up already as a result of his unemployment.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Bagby tried to hold employees accountable. Lots of dead weight in several county divisions and TDC had some.

He simply tried to give some of the long timers some professional education and new training in a progressive style of management (ie. actually working for a pay check).

He was met with push back and spineless commissioners that didn't like him rocking the boat.

Just like Halfhill. Try to hold county staff accountable and loose your job.

Don't hold staff accountable and it leads to investigations (ie. Kendal Marse from Planning Dept).

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
No question, the "secret" is out. More than just our Southern friends have discovered South Walton. I have said for several years now that the TDC needs to be disbanded. I assume the first order of business would be to reduce the Walton County bed tax rate so that the TDC is esentially defunded? Is the BCC that has the say so of whether there is a TDC at all, or can a vote be put before the people on the next voting opportunity? Would the group "A Better South Walton" be the best option to spearhead this, or someone else?

Whatever the process, can we identify it and get it in gear? As things are now, the congestion is only going to get worse as word of mouth advertising takes over by those who have just discovered South Walton.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
No question, the "secret" is out. More than just our Southern friends have discovered South Walton. I have said for several years now that the TDC needs to be disbanded. I assume the first order of business would be to reduce the Walton County bed tax rate so that the TDC is esentially defunded? Is the BCC that has the say so of whether there is a TDC at all, or can a vote be put before the people on the next voting opportunity? Would the group "A Better South Walton" be the best option to spearhead this, or someone else?

Whatever the process, can we identify it and get it in gear? As things are now, the congestion is only going to get worse as word of mouth advertising takes over by those who have just discovered South Walton.

The TDC does more than just advertise to put heads in beds. They help fund events and while these are also to help bring visitors, locals benefit also. But more importantly are the maintenance of walkovers and beach cleaning. Also helping to fund lifeguards and Turtle Watch. I'm sure there are more items we want o keep going. So reduce tax and reduce advertising, or spend the tax on more community enhancements. The first thing to do would be a thorough study of current expenditures, programs, personnel, etc. The decide what to keep and what to add, if anything. The sports complex comes to mind - benefits locals and tourists. Let Sandestin, Seaside, Rosemary Beach,etc. keep some of their own money. They know best how to spend it to fill their rooms.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The TDC could use the change in directors to refocus and stress more infrastructure improvements and destination enhancements to use its funds for. The problem is there is not a clear understanding of the vision for the organization from all the stakeholders: tax collectors, BCC and citizens.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
@Dawn, everyone:

I should refine my statement. I believe that the percentage of bed tax revenue spent on advertising should be at the absolute minimum or, better, zero on advertising. Funds available should be spent on enhancing what we have. One much needed amenity is more public beach access; the condos and home owners are fencing, roping, posting signs to the point that the public (many locals) is just getting squeezed out.

Just so everyone is on the same page on what funds can be spent on, here is the pasted info from:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

(5) AUTHORIZED USES OF REVENUE.—
(a) All tax revenues received pursuant to this section by a county imposing the tourist development tax shall be used by that county for the following purposes only:
1. To acquire, construct, extend, enlarge, remodel, repair, improve, maintain, operate, or promote one or more:
a. Publicly owned and operated convention centers, sports stadiums, sports arenas, coliseums, or auditoriums within the boundaries of the county or subcounty special taxing district in which the tax is levied; or
b. Aquariums or museums that are publicly owned and operated or owned and operated by not-for-profit organizations and open to the public, within the boundaries of the county or subcounty special taxing district in which the tax is levied;
2. To promote zoological parks that are publicly owned and operated or owned and operated by not-for-profit organizations and open to the public;
3. To promote and advertise tourism in this state and nationally and internationally; however, if tax revenues are expended for an activity, service, venue, or event, the activity, service, venue, or event must have as one of its main purposes the attraction of tourists as evidenced by the promotion of the activity, service, venue, or event to tourists;
4. To fund convention bureaus, tourist bureaus, tourist information centers, and news bureaus as county agencies or by contract with the chambers of commerce or similar associations in the county, which may include any indirect administrative costs for services performed by the county on behalf of the promotion agency; or
5. To finance beach park facilities or beach improvement, maintenance, renourishment, restoration, and erosion control, including shoreline protection, enhancement, cleanup, or restoration of inland lakes and rivers to which there is public access as those uses relate to the physical preservation of the beach, shoreline, or inland lake or river. However, any funds identified by a county as the local matching source for beach renourishment, restoration, or erosion control projects included in the long-range budget plan of the state’s Beach Management Plan, pursuant to s.161.091, or funds contractually obligated by a county in the financial plan for a federally authorized shore protection project may not be used or loaned for any other purpose. In counties of fewer than 100,000 population, up to 10 percent of the revenues from the tourist development tax may be used for beach park facilities.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Can we at least save the money on a nationwide search and just hire whichever child, relative or friend of a commissioner is getting the job?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Can we at least save the money on a nationwide search and just hire whichever child, relative or friend of a commissioner is getting the job?

EXACTLY!!!

You sum it up very well.

The County wants to put on a dog and pony show for the less educated (educated as to how things work) and make it look all warm and fuzzy.

While in the meantime, behind the scenes, the process has already been underway. My money is on a hire from the inside of TDC. Someone that can be controlled and is far from really qualified. Leadership and management by proxy, care of the BCC.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach

And the candidate that has a business that will benefit from their position as TDC chief will be moved to the top of the list.