• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What's your choice?

• I'd like a Middle Beach Road for South Walton.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I'd like a new connector for Scenic 30A and Hwy 98.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • I'd like a Seagrove Bypass.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
I'm cool with a connector that runs from San Juan to 395 or one that skirts the state park boundary from where Collaborations used to be to 395 with maybe 2 north/south connections i.e. San Juan. Dividing the state forest is not an option and I feel that any decision should include the following at the beginning:

THIS IS TO FIX AN EXISTING PROBLEM NOT PROMOTE FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

In fact it should be added to the LDC that this route cannot be used to justify development.

San Juan is a residential road that would not accommodate the traffic or help fix things. Not only would it have the same bottleneck dumping on to 395, it's less than a quarter of a mile from 395. It's also in the middle of a subdivision (an old one but still a subdivision), that would not be met well turning into a county road with a ton of traffic. Not sure why it's even in the discussion.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It was one of the few suggestions thrown out at commission meetings during public comments. As far as I know there have only been rumblings of a bypass and nothing has actually been proposed.

What do you propose to alleviate the congestion?

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
I still like the middle beach connector road but really would support ANY form of traffic relief our county and/or state officials can help us with. Doing nothing isn't working.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I still like the middle beach connector road but really would support ANY form of traffic relief our county and/or state officials can help us with. Doing nothing isn't working.
I disagree.

First, there are improvements we can make. Like fixing intersections such as 395 and 30A with proper turn lanes and keeping golf carts off of 30A.

Second, the main problems are during the approx 10 week summer rental season. We all have to be OK with more bikes and pedestrians on the road, and in the road, and weaving on and off the road, and darting out in the road. I'd much rather put up with a little delay (tiny compared to city traffic), than plow a road through state forest, disrupting the ecosystem. I doubt the State (or many locals) would go for it anyway.

Third, we already have good connecting roads from 30A to 98. They can be widened if needed. The only real problem section where it's hard to get to a connector and gets backed up is Seagrove. A turn lane at 395 should help. Wait a little while and be glad you're not backed up on an interstate in Atlanta.

Lastly, traffic in SoWal may get worse, but right now it ain't much to worry about. If you find yourself complaining about traffic here, you might just be a complainer. :D

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
It was one of the few suggestions thrown out at commission meetings during public comments. As far as I know there have only been rumblings of a bypass and nothing has actually been proposed.

What do you propose to alleviate the congestion?

Run an ingress/egress along the power line. The PWSF is great and an amazing resource but it's not the redwoods. It's a product of the S&L crisis and a monument to Florida real estate developers trying unsuccessfully to sell overpriced swampland to an unsuspecting public.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Run an ingress/egress along the power line. The PWSF is great and an amazing resource but it's not the redwoods. It's a product of the S&L crisis and a monument to Florida real estate developers trying unsuccessfully to sell overpriced swampland to an unsuspecting public.

It's my redwoods.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
I disagree.

First, there are improvements we can make. Like fixing intersections such as 395 and 30A with proper turn lanes and keeping golf carts off of 30A.

Second, the main problems are during the approx 10 week summer rental season. We all have to be OK with more bikes and pedestrians on the road, and in the road, and weaving on and off the road, and darting out in the road. I'd much rather put up with a little delay (tiny compared to city traffic), than plow a road through state forest, disrupting the ecosystem. I doubt the State (or many locals) would go for it anyway.

Third, we already have good connecting roads from 30A to 98. They can be widened if needed. The only real problem section where it's hard to get to a connector and gets backed up is Seagrove. A turn lane at 395 should help. Wait a little while and be glad you're not backed up on an interstate in Atlanta.

Lastly, traffic in SoWal may get worse, but right now it ain't much to worry about. If you find yourself complaining about traffic here, you might just be a complainer. :D
Not whiny, just sharing my feelings

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
It's my redwoods.
That's great but the history is clearing whatever long leaf pines and scrub oaks to grow something that can be shredded to fill plywood.

It's a suggested cut road that doesn't go through a neighborhood with kids on bikes with training wheels. You asked.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
That's great but the history is clearing whatever long leaf pines and scrub oaks to grow something that can be shredded to fill plywood.

It's a suggested cut road that doesn't go through a neighborhood with kids on bikes with training wheels. You asked.

Yes, that is the history. The present however is removing loblolly and slash pines and replanting them with longleaf.

The traffic is not bad enough to warrant taking one of our natural wonders and I can assure you that there are far more people with the same opinion who will happily speak up at BCC meetings and more.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Matt J, you are right. Slow down, enjoy the scenery and life. If you have to get to work take one of the many connecters to 98 and go, go, go.