• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
I will be down the end of March. Where are the best places to kayak? I like the idea of the dune lakes, but I am not sure if some are better than others. Thanks for any help!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Western Lake is fantastic. State Park, WaterColor, the beach, nooks & crannies, easy in and out at public boat ramp just down from the Red Bar. Or there's a launch in the state Park.

Don't forget life jacket and whistle. Sunscreen and a hat.

SoWalSitter

Beach Comber
Jan 9, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
Holmes Creek in Washington County has pretty springs on it. The most popular is Cypress Springs. I've attached a photo. March is a good time to go as its not too crowded during that time. You can look up Snaggy Bend Outfitters (Vernon, FL) on Facebook and Google to get an address. The drive takes about 45 minutes from the intersection of 331 and 98 in South Walton.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 550
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 604
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 539
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 513

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Thanks. I had not thought about the whistle ,but will bring one!!,

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I will be down the end of March. Where are the best places to kayak? I like the idea of the dune lakes, but I am not sure if some are better than others. Thanks for any help!
Check with State Parks in the area. Grayton Beach State Park has canoes for rental on Western Lake, and the same at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Kayaks are available at St Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach - a gorgeous spot to explore.

Camp Helen State Park has kayaks for rent again this season... a great place to paddle on Lake Powell - the largest coastal dune lake in the area.

Kayak rentals are currently available by Reservation Only through the Friends Website @ www.friendsofcamphelen.org/. Rentals will be available at the Park March 23 - April 10th for Spring Break Season. After that we will go back to the Reservations Only through the website until May 26th when we will resume rentals at the Park.

12688017_1238429336186107_5609579085475321795_n.jpg

You'll love exploring our state parks with extensive preserved coastal dunes, lakes, beaches and trails. Hike, bike, paddle and take it all in.

Read more about Florida State Parks at SoWal Parks Guide!

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
on Lake Powell - the largest coastal dune lake in the area.

For access on the Eastern Side of Lake Powell, you can go east into Bay County about 2 miles from Camp Helen on Hwy 98 and turn left onto the road into The Wild Herron development. 2 blocks north of 98 is a bridge over the lake.

Just across the bridge on the right side you can walk down and put in. It's a bit overgrown right now but not too bad. Once in the water you can paddle west into the main part of the lake. But I prefer heading east into the marsh area . It winds back quite a ways, maybe a half mile ? I enjoy being on the small winding path with woods and marsh grass on both sides. Lots of birds, some osprey.

It gets narrower and narrower the farther back you go, eventually you are in the creek and into the trees. The creek is only a couple of feet wider than your kayak when you get way back there. Near the trees there is a long skinny channel which turns left and you go another short ways into the trees. Saw a small gator back there the first Tim I went and it was paddle length away, went under and swam away from me. I paddled my butt outta there pretty quick! Haven't seen Any other gators since.

I always park on the bridge and have never had an issue. People crab from the bridge as well. The road is public and not inside Wild Herron. You could access this area from the official Lake Powell boat ramp behind the Publix shopping center, but it is quite a paddle east, esp if there is wind.

I hope everyone has had a great Memorial Day and may you have a great next paddle!

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
Hello again. Another Lake Powell paddling access point is the South Walton Co Fishing Pier just to the left of 682 N. Walton Lakeshore Dr., which is west of the Camp Helen entrance. The pier is small but has 5 parking spaces (2 on the pier side of road and 3 on opposite side).

I've paddled to the left and was able to wind back pretty far but not as far as the creek on the eastern side in the above post. There are a couple other inlets of the lake to expire from here as well.

This is from my morning walk to the outfall of Lake Powell. This boat made it into the gulf but if the water was a bit lower he'd not have made it. The current is flowing pretty strong into the Lake right now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 367