• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I believe the County does have a level of involvement and authority with allowing these "service" providers ability to operate in the county jurisdiction.

Internet has been traditionally poor at best in SoWal and seeming it's 2017, perhaps we deserve better.

Peach Creek subdivision yards regularly flood due to poor drainage, go figure...

That also breeds mosquitos.

Garrett Horn

Beach Lover
Mar 2, 2017
Wow! Ya'll really put out the welcome mat: TERRIBLE cable service, TERRIBLE government, TERRIBLE vermin of every description. Mosquitoes, panthers, sharks!! Don't tell them about the roads and bridges, for God's sake!

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Wow! Ya'll really put out the welcome mat: TERRIBLE cable service, TERRIBLE government, TERRIBLE vermin of every description. Mosquitoes, panthers, sharks!! Don't tell them about the roads and bridges, for God's sake!

You mean the road with the 15 ft deep sinkhole that almost swallowed a pickup truck? I guess people don't need to know the current infrastructure in SoWal doesn't support the growth now and if developers continue to have their way with over-development and ignoring or rewriting the land development code and comp plan, the infrastructure may never catch up.

Buyer beware...while SoWal may look like Utopia, your little piece of the promised land may have more than it's share of long range issues. Don't expect help from local government either....most of them are in the proverbial bed with developers and are NOT citizen friendly!

MichelewithoneL

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2017
Littleton, Co
You mean the road with the 15 ft deep sinkhole that almost swallowed a pickup truck? I guess people don't need to know the current infrastructure in SoWal doesn't support the growth now and if developers continue to have their way with over-development and ignoring or rewriting the land development code and comp plan, the infrastructure may never catch up.

Buyer beware...while SoWal may look like Utopia, your little piece of the promised land may have more than it's share of long range issues. Don't expect help from local government either....most of them are in the proverbial bed with developers and are NOT citizen friendly!
That is a huge bummer- we have a similar situation in Ventura County- where I am from. We produce a huge portion of produce for the US and builders are aggressively buying land and putting in condos and housing tracts. The problem is that Socal is already so crowded plus where will our produce come from? In any case- I am sorry this is SoWal's situation. I am looking to move to a slower pace of life and I am optimistic that I will find that along teh Emerald Coast.

Garrett Horn

Beach Lover
Mar 2, 2017
Don't let Kaydence turn ya sour. My post was mostly kidding. A couple miles off the beach is some of the most laid back livin' anywhere.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
That is a huge bummer- we have a similar situation in Ventura County- where I am from. We produce a huge portion of produce for the US and builders are aggressively buying land and putting in condos and housing tracts. The problem is that Socal is already so crowded plus where will our produce come from? In any case- I am sorry this is SoWal's situation. I am looking to move to a slower pace of life and I am optimistic that I will find that along teh Emerald Coast.

There are wonderful places to live in Walton County...much of it laid back and slower paced as @Garrett Horn said, if you don't want to be right on the beach.

I'd rather you hear the good, the bad and the ugly before you buy because as beautiful as our beaches are...life ain't all it's cracked up to be down there. There are issues and our government is very slow to respond (has been for many years) to ongoing infrastructure problems. Just make sure all the amenities you want are in place before you buy. If you are going to be commuting to and from work, make the drive during the height of tourist season (high traffic hours) so you know what you're getting yourself into. One road in, one road out and it can be crazy.

We do have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. :)