• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
On Oct. 14, 2015, the city manager was Sara Bowers and the finance director was Joe Brown. On that date, the city received a certified letter from Kathryn DuBose, coordinator for the Florida Joint Legislative Auditing Committee. The letter stated that the required financial reports for Fiscal Year 2013-14 had not been submitted and the city was three and a half months past the final deadline. The letter warned that failure to respond could result in “having state revenues withheld from your municipality.”

The letter was addressed to Mayor Campbell and signed for by Cecilia Alford. Mayor Campbell did not inform the City Council of the letter or its contents.

Three weeks later, on November 9th, Mayor Campbell received a forwarded copy of a letter sent to Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater and Marshall Stranberg, Executive Director of the Florida Department of Revenue. The letter stated that any money not legally pledged for bond service debt would be withheld from the city DeFuniak Springs due to its failure to submit the required financial reports for Fiscal Year 2013-14. The letter was signed by Ms. DuBose and a copy was sent to Mayor Campbell. Mayor Campbell did not inform the City Council of the letter or its contents.

On the same day, Ms. Dubose sent a letter directly to Mayor Campbell, signed for by Cecilia Alford, in which Ms. DuBose outlined the details of the planned withholding of funds described in her letter to the state. A copy of this letter was also enclosed and addressed to Sara Bowers and intended for the City Council. Neither Mayor Campbell nor Ms. Bowers informed the Council of the letter or its contents.

Two months later, on January 20, 2016, the Joint Legislative Auditing Committee sent an email which contained copies of the certified letters sent to the city regarding the state having withheld $89,687 in half-cent sales tax revenue from the city. The email was sent to Mayor Campbell and Ms. Bowers. Neither Mayor Campbell nor Ms. Bowers informed the Council of the email or its contents.

On January 28, Mayor Campbell, Ms. Bowers and Cindy Permenter received an email from Debbie White, a CPA analyst with the Joint Legislative Auditing Committee. Ms. White stated that an additional $74,581 had been withheld from the city. None of the recipients informed the Council of the email or its contents.

About 10 days later, Mayor Campbell, Ms. Bowers and Ms. Permenter received another email from Ms. DuBose stating that some but not all of the required documentation had been received. The email urged the city to get the required reports to the state by Feb. 15 or face losing more money.

Mayor Campbell, Ms. Bowers and Ms. Permenter did not inform the Council of the email or its contents.

On February 9, 2016, Mayor Campbell received a copy of a letter sent by Ms. DuBose to CFO Atwater and DOR Director Stranberg informing them that the State Auditing Committee had finally received the required reports from DeFuniak Springs regarding its 2013-14 annual financial report and audit. No further funds would be withheld. Mayor Campbell did not inform the Council of the letter or its contents.

Sadly, eight months later, on Nov. 3, 2016, the entire process started all over again. Mayor Campbell received another certified letter from Ms. DuBose stating that her agency had not received the required financial reports for Fiscal Year 2014-15 and warned that state revenue funds would be withheld again if the city failed to do so. This certified letter was signed for by former city Finance Director Joe Brown. Neither Mayor Campbell nor Mr. Brown informed the Council of the letter or its contents.

On February 6, Mayor Campbell was notified that the state would be withholding state revenue funds unless the required financial reports were received by March 9.

It was during this period that Interim City Manager Tilman Mears discovered the problem and brought the matter to the attention of the City Council.

Over two months later, on May 19, 2017, Ms. DuBose notified CFO Atwater and the Department of Revenue that the required 2014-2015 reports from the city of DeFuniak had finally been received and the city should be removed from the state’s withholding list.

Recently, in an email to City Attorney Clayton Adkinson, dated June 1, 2017, Roger Hinson of the Department of Revenue stated that, in summary, $65,068 was withheld in 2015, $49,933 was withheld in 2016 and $105,944 was withheld in 2017. That is a grand total of $220,945 of revenue the city of DeFuniak Springs has lost, due to the gross negligence of city staff and Mayor Bob Campbell, whose name was on every document.

To date, Mayor Bob Campbell’s actions have cost the City almost 1/4 million dollars in lost revenue that the City cannot recoup. At any time during the course of these events Mayor Campbell could and should have at the very least dropped the letters in the mailboxes provided to every Council member to avoid the appearance of meeting out of the Sunshine and failed to do so.

In Mr. Adkinson’s June 6 report to the Council, he stated:

It is clear from the documents, that the City apparently received those documents. However, what is missing from these documents is any response from the City in regards to any of the certified letters that were forwarded to the City.

During my discussion with Ms. White, she advised that the reason the Committee had taken the action it did, was that the Committee had never received any response from the city.”

The City did not receive those documents Mayor Campbell did and failed to get them to Council.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
That's a very detailed time line and summary.

Sounds like the State has had their job done for them...

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
More money Missing in Defuniak Springs...

“Concerns have been raised by some witnesses regarding whether the expenditure of BP funds received by the city can be traced. Because of these concerns we’re going to review these issues.”

DEFUNIAK SPRINGS — The State Attorney’s Office has expanded its investigation of DeFuniak Springs spending habits to include determining the whereabouts of $368,063 the city obtained through a 2014 legal settlement with British Petroleum.
“Concerns have been raised by some witnesses regarding whether the expenditure of BP funds received by the city can be traced,” said Bill Eddins, the state attorney for Florida’s First Judicial Circuit. “Because of these concerns we’re going to review these issues.”
Eddins’ office initiated an investigation in July into complaints of fiscal mismanagement within the city. Those complaints included questions about delays in filing the paperwork needed to receive sales tax money from the state.
City officials learned in June that it had lost almost $221,000 in sales tax revenues and municipal revenue sharing funds over a two-year period by failing to file state required audits and annual financial reports on time.
That investigation remains open, and when it is complete, Eddins said, his office will present its findings to a grand jury.
No determination has yet been made as to whether there are questions surrounding the expenditure of the BP money, but if it turns out that there are, Eddins said, the grand jury will look into that too.
“At this point no determination has been made (that) there is a discrepancy, there may be none,” he said. “We have not verified that at this point.”
Evidence DeFuniak Springs received $368,063 from BP from a legal settlement can be found in an audit report put together for the city by the accounting firm of Saltmarsh Cleaveland & Gunn.
The report, dated Sept. 30, 2015, shows that the city obtained “funds related to Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill” during fiscal 2014-15 and spent it within that same year.

There is no indication within the report as to when or how the $368,063 was spent and city council member Kermit Wright said no one within city administration has offered a plausible explanation.
Wright said he’s not even aware of how the city got the money in the first place.
“I was being interviewed by the state attorney and he asked me about $400,000. I said, ‘News to me,’ ” Wright said.
Walton County received $3.35 million and the county’s Tourist Development Council received $4.28 million in March 2014 when BP settled lawsuits filed following the 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill.
DeFuniak Springs City Attorney Clayton Adkinson said the city settled its own lawsuit with BP at about the same time the county did.
“The money went into the city’s general fund, I assume,” Adkinson said. “That was the appropriate place for it to go. I would think it would be easily traceable.”
The audit report that denotes the receipt and expenditure of the $368,063 BP legal settlement points out several areas in which the city had not taken proper care of its money. It states the city failed to write off bad debts, recorded grant funds incorrectly and did not properly segregate the duties of city staff.
“Proper segregation of duties provides for a system of checks and balances such that the functions of one employee are subject to the review through the performance of the interrelated functions of another employee,” the report said. “Due to turnover in the position of finance director, the city manager performed some finance director duties during the year. These items, including the reconciliation of bank statements, were performed without adequate supervision and review.”
The auditors recommended “that the city review the internal control procedures to ensure checks and balances always exist to the greatest extent possible.”

Article by Tom McLaughlin

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Hmmm? Maybe not ALL, but I'd think well over half! Crooks, thieves, liars, Bible thumping hypocrites, adulterors, low life POS, alcoholics, drug addicts and the list goes on... And on!

Leadership at its finest! :sarc: And they continue to be elected and re-elected!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!
We need people to run that give us more options. Not many takers on that score. Seeing how people talk about our elected officials doesn't exactly entice good people to want to jump right in, although Danny Glidewell has posted long enough under his own name that he looks like a good man to me.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
We need people to run that give us more options. Not many takers on that score. Seeing how people talk about our elected officials doesn't exactly entice good people to want to jump right in, although Danny Glidewell has posted long enough under his own name that he looks like a good man to me.

Says the guy also posting under a pseudonym. :)

How do you sugar coat an elected officials husband pointing a gun at someone's face or threatening others with bodily harm?

How do you sugar coat an elected official trying to have a constituent brought up on charges of violating campaign sign regulations?

How do you sugar coat an elected official trying to have the taxpayers foot the bill for their personal attorney fees?

How do you sugar coat an elected official ordering staff to violate your First Amendment Rights?

How do you sugar coat an elected official(s) willingness to intentionally violate Sunshine laws repeatedly?

How do you sugar coat an elected official(s) micromanaging/interfering with the day to day operations of the City or County wearing their petty tyrant hat?

How do you sugar coat an elected official violating Separation of Church and State law?

How do you sugar coat an elected officials willingness to make someone who was not reelected to his City seat, the Director of Planning Dept., who worked in the Planning Department under Pat Blackshear who was responsible for almost a million dollars in missing fees?

How do you sugar coat an elected officials willingness to hire a Special Magistrate to hear issues on planning (in effect ignoring the LDC and Comp plans) and ramming it down the taxpayers throats when we PAY them to be OUR voice?

I could go on ALL day long but here's the bottom line...this isn't the land of milk and honey, it's not burger king where you can have it your way and everything isn't always finger lickin good. I ain't gonna sugar coat it! It is what it is.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Says the guy also posting under a pseudonym. :)

How do you sugar coat an elected officials husband pointing a gun at someone's face or threatening others with bodily harm?

How do you sugar coat an elected official trying to have a constituent brought up on charges of violating campaign sign regulations?

How do you sugar coat an elected official trying to have the taxpayers foot the bill for their personal attorney fees?

How do you sugar coat an elected official ordering staff to violate your First Amendment Rights?

How do you sugar coat an elected official(s) willingness to intentionally violate Sunshine laws repeatedly?

How do you sugar coat an elected official(s) micromanaging/interfering with the day to day operations of the City or County wearing their petty tyrant hat?

How do you sugar coat an elected official violating Separation of Church and State law?

How do you sugar coat an elected officials willingness to make someone who was not reelected to his City seat, the Director of Planning Dept., who worked in the Planning Department under Pat Blackshear who was responsible for almost a million dollars in missing fees?

How do you sugar coat an elected officials willingness to hire a Special Magistrate to hear issues on planning (in effect ignoring the LDC and Comp plans) and ramming it down the taxpayers throats when we PAY them to be OUR voice?

I could go on ALL day long but here's the bottom line...this isn't the land of milk and honey, it's not burger king where you can have it your way and everything isn't always finger lickin good. I ain't gonna sugar coat it! It is what it is.
Kaydence, 1) I'm not interested in running for office and 2) I wasn't defending the actions of current Commissioners. Did I sugar coat something? Or are you just making the case that we need some new Commissioners? If so, HOW do we get more people to run?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Kaydence, 1) I'm not interested in running for office and 2) I wasn't defending the actions of current Commissioners. Did I sugar coat something? Or are you just making the case that we need some new Commissioners? If so, HOW do we get more people to run?

What you said was
Seeing how people talk about our elected officials doesn't exactly entice good people to want to jump right in,

I simply asked how do you sugar coat all the things they have done? We should be talking about them, we don't pay their salaries to do this kind of crap. If they are truly good people and want to run and make good decisions, I'm all about helping support them and vote to get them elected and I'm all about calling them out when they fail.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
What you said was

I simply asked how do you sugar coat all the things they have done? We should be talking about them, we don't pay their salaries to do this kind of crap. If they are truly good people and want to run and make good decisions, I'm all about helping support them and vote to get them elected and I'm all about calling them out when they fail.
I see what you were referencing now. Thanks.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
This post and link are appropriate to a large percent of SoWal Political Posts.

Just figured it was time...

One Tin Soldier.