• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jack H.

Beach Crab
Jun 20, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
364B5FF4-65DF-4C86-9959-216C6ABF547F.jpeg AAAE55D0-1678-4D4D-A101-AF5B5ECA517D.jpeg Yesterday I was kayak fishing with a buddy in Draper Lake (Blue Mtn. Beach). For those who don’t know, this is just one of 30A’s many brackish-water lakes that naturally open up into the gulf. I fish this lake quite regularly - I usually catch small redfish, brim, and other baitfish. Nothing out of the ordinary. But yesterday I caught a fish that I had certainly never seen before in this lake.

I was using a silver spoon for bait. As soon as I hooked the fish, it started jumping out of the water. Put up a pretty good fight. I knew it was decently big. Very uncharacteristic for any fish I had ever caught before in Draper Lake.

I got it to the side of the kayak and to my disbelief, this thing looked like a damn barracuda. It had some big, sharp teeth. I thought to myself, there’s just no way... but upon further investigation, everything matches up with a barracuda, and I’m just in shock...

For anyone out there who knows about fishing in this area, I just have a few questions.

1. Is this a barracuda?
2. What is it doing in Draper Lake?
3. Is this a normal fish to have in these coastal, brackish-water dune lakes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please see pics of fish attached.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Cool!

Any fish you can find in the Gulf you can find in a coastal dune lake, provided it has an outfall that connects it to the Gulf periodically. Including Dolphins and Sharks! I've also seen a sea turtle in a lake outfall once.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
I have caught smaller ones in Eastern Lake but nothing of the size you have there - I've also caught rays and jacks especially after a good storm when the lake is opened NATURALLY.. Nice fish!!

dcgoz

Beach Lover
May 12, 2008
that's really cool. Can never go wrong fishing a gold or silver spoon! My go to bait for bay fishing.