• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alys Beach

Beach Fanatic
Sep 13, 2006
www.alysbeach.com
Kamping-11-20-09compressed.jpg

Alys Beach

Beach Fanatic
Sep 13, 2006
www.alysbeach.com
Join us for Kamping at Alys! Spend a night under the stars.

$20 per family and includes: hot dog dinner on Friday night, s'mores, ghost stories, sand crab catching contest, movie on the Beach Green and pancake breakfast on Saturday morning. Don't forget your camping gear!

*Children must be accompanied by an adult

*Space is limited and reservations are required by November 19. Email events@alysbeach.com

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I love the activities Alys Beach offers. I can't go to them because I'm so far away, but I like it that Alys Beach does these types of things. I've been to their Friday night after beach wine and appetizer events and those are great. (I don't know if they still have them) :clap:

We just got back (sorta) and on the whole it was a great event. We did leave last night to sleep in our own beds due to amazingly poorly behaved small children. (5-7 years old I would guess) We came back this morning to get our stuff and enjoy the pancake breakfast.

Pluses:
Well organized!
Beautiful location and evening, it was a clear starry night! :)
Fire on the beach was drop dead gorgeous
The movie was fun, it was Pixar's UP and we hadn't seen it yet!
Yummy hotdogs, smores and pancakes!

Minuses:
Unsupervised small children. Apparently some parents think its okay for their kids to scream at the top of their lungs for no reason. I actually saw a 7 year old little girl walk up to her mother in line for the hotdogs, scream like someone was murdering her causing several people in line to almost drop their plates, then walk calmly off while the mother just smiled indulgently at her. The screaming was continuous all the way up until the movie. Kevin Boyle almost stopped the ghost story event due to being continuously interrupted with inappropriate screaming. He couldn't be heard over the screaming. After the screaming died down and the movie was over we attempted to sleep. However someone kept hitting the side of our tent and rolling into it. We decided to leave at this point and thats when we discovered more 6 year old children rolling around completely unsupervised, not a parent within sight. This was around 10:30pm and much of the camp was trying to get to sleep. It was a horrible example of bad parenting that unfortunately put a damper on our experience.

Last edited:

Cali

Beach Lover
Jul 26, 2007
Here
My husband and son went and really enjoyed it. Great idea and thank you Alys Beach.
Sorry to see Douglas's comments. Kids screaming and staying up late camping, how strange! :dunno:

My husband and son went and really enjoyed it. Great idea and thank you Alys Beach.
Sorry to see Douglas's comments. Kids screaming and staying up late camping, how strange! :dunno:

I think Alys Beach did a great job as well. However, I think some of the parent's at the event did not. There is a big difference between being loud while having fun as a kid which is natural and screaming for the pure sake of screaming, which to me as a parent is unacceptable behavior. Too many parents at the event were much more interested in getting their drink on then watching their children. For me the whole point of the event was spending quality time with my daughter. How strange. :dunno:

Last edited:

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
A few beers while camping, now there is another strange concept.

Listen Douglas, while it may not have been your and your daughter's idea of a good time, EVERYONE I spoke to at the breakfast in the morning thought Alys Beach did a fantastic job, and all of the other Families involved had nothing but praise for Alys Beach.

If you have a bunch of families getting together for camping in this type of situation, especially when many already know each other, it will become a social event. And a fun social event it was, for the kids and the parents.

But, not everyone is as social as others, and this type of event may not be for everyone. So if you enjoy camraderie with your local South Walton neighbors, GREAT story telling by some reps of the,...er, REP, movie on a big-screen (I had never seen "Up", but what agreat choice), bonfire-side conversation, hotdogs, smores, and perhaps a a couple of beers, and especially an opportunity for your kids to have an EXTREMELY FUN time quite possibly past their regular bedtime (all kids were in bed before the 10:30 time Douglas quotes), don't miss Alys Beach's next camping experience (which I hear conversations are leaning towards Spring in Alys Beach's Central Park)!

And if none of that sounds appealing to you, there are miles of forest in North Florida that you can camp in all by your lonesome without anyone to bother you. Or, perhaps your backyard suits you if you are in need of amenities.

We'll plan on being there! Thank you Alys Beach!! AWESOME, FANTASTIC, SUPER, and most of all FUN idea and execution. Special shout-outs to Kelly, Scott, the REP, and the Chef's serving up delicious "flap-jacks" in the A.M.!

Cheers!