• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alys Beach

Beach Fanatic
Sep 13, 2006
www.alysbeach.com
warren2.jpg

Alys Beach, Florida – (January 27, 2009) – Adventurer Warren Macdonald lost both of his legs--and nearly his life--after being pinned underneath a one-ton boulder for over 45 hours in the Australian wilderness.

Since that seemingly fateful day, Macdonald has gone on to achieve many remarkable feats, including authoring books, producing film documentaries, oh, and in 2003, Macdonald became the first double above-knee amputee to reach the summit of Africa's tallest peak, Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Today, in addition to his ongoing adventures, Macdonald is a popular motivational speaker, with his exploits having been featured on Oprah, Larry King, and numerous other national shows.

On Sunday, February 15th, Macdonald will offer a free speech in which he will discuss overcoming personal adversity, in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

"In such an uncertain economic climate, Warren's tale is both inspirational and timely," said Kelli Arnold, Events Coordinator at Alys Beach. "Warren has graciously agreed to speak here in South Walton free of charge."

The free outdoor event will be held in Alys Beach's Central Park on Sunday, February 15th from 6-7pm. Guests are encouraged to bring low-back lawn chairs or blankets, rain or shine.

Following the speech, Macdonald will sell and autograph copies of his best-selling book, A Test of Will. For more information about Warren Macdonald, please visit www.warren-macdonald.com.

For more information about the event, please call 1-866-481-8387 or email events@alysbeach.com.

ABOUT ALYS BEACH
One of the most beautiful new towns in the world, Alys Beach is located on Scenic Highway 30A in Florida’s panhandle, along what The New York Times said "may be the best beach in the continental U.S." The resort town's extraordinary architectural vision drew inspirations from both Bermuda and the family courtyard homes of Antigua, Guatemala. When complete, Alys Beach will be home to over 600 villas and courtyard homes, as well as restaurants, parks, shops and other resort amenities. All homes in Alys Beach are built to Fortified…for safer living? construction standards and to Florida's Green Home Designation Standard. For home sales or vacation rental information, please call 866-481-8387 or visit www.alysbeach.com.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Who me? No, I'm going to listen. I haven't read A Test of Will, but read One Step Beyond, which is the story of Warren's tragic accident. It is well-written. One line I remember from that book is "sometimes, sh_t just happens." To me, that line says so much. It begs the question, "What's next?" If you are sculpting Mt Rushmore, and half way through it, you blow off what would have been Roosevelt's nose, do you stop sculpting that mountain and spend the rest of your life in misery? No, you refocus and adjust, working with the remaining stone. It seems that Warren has done just that -- picked himself pack up, and started the next day, only with a new attitude.

Many years ago, I left a grocery store, walking to my car. Directly in front of me was a young guy, maybe 22 years old, in a wheel chair. He had lost his legs. I slowed my pace, and followed him towards his car, ready to ask if I could help him load in his wheel chair. He rolled up to the back of a small Chevy Blazer, popped open the back glass, and had already climbed in the back, pulling in the wheel chair with the most rapid speed I've ever seen. Within a few short seconds, he went from sitting in that wheelchair to sitting behind the steering wheel, ready to drive away. I never even got a chance to ask him if I could help. That was very inspiring and helped me to see that moving on in life is indeed much about will power and desire. I immediately thought about that kid when I first heard about Warren's story. I know that everyone has something to learn from Warren.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think I saw him on "I shouldn't be alive". Didn't he meet up with another hiker shortly before the accident happened? The other guy went through a lot to get him out and they barely knew each other. Great story!

Grayton Girl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
Sowal
Thank you so much for letting us all know about this talk!

I remember Warren from Mountain Film Fest about 6 years ago -- when his story was one of the feature films at the Fest. I remember so well because my youngest son was in 5th grade then and Warren had come in to talk to his class about his life after his accident.

My son was so awestruck. I mean, here's this handsome, young, strong guy who had lost his legs, and who continued on with his life and his passion (climbing) and worked through his adversities and went on to inspire others. Our family attended Mountain Film and actually got to spend some time talking with Warren during the intermission.

My son still talks about him and will be thrilled to be able to see him speak 6 years later! We look forward to attending on Feb. 15th.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
sunspot, i just looked at Warren's website and he was on that show. You can buy the DVD, and others, inpirational posters, and his books.
A TEST OF WILL – One Man's Extraordinary Story of Survival
Description: The updated edition of Warren's Australian bestseller "One Step Beyond " and the inspiration behind The Discovery Channels "I Shouldn't be Alive " – "Trapped under a Boulder " episode. A gripping tale of profound courage, strength of spirit and sheer tenacity in the face of overwhelming odds – a story that will both haunt and inspire you from the first moment of catastrophe. [more Info, click here]