• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com

Songwriters and music lovers from across the globe are focused on South Walton every January. The 7th edition of the 30A Songwriters Festival will be bigger and better, with more great music for SoWal beach lovers from January 15-17, 2016.

The 7th annual 30A SONGWRITERS FESTIVAL is less than one month away. Held in venues along scenic Highway 30A in Florida's South Walton County from January 15, 16 and 17, 2016, the annual celebration of singers and songs has added a few artists to the 2016 lineup. The festival, will feature headline performances from esteemed artists Jackson Browne, Grace Potter, Shovels & Rope and Wine, Women & Song featuring Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss & Gretchen Peters.

Recently confirmed artists include: Chely Wright, Leigh Nash (Sixpence None the Richer), Cracker - Unplugged (David Lowery and Johnny Hickman), Levi Lowrey, Robert Ellis, Corey Chisel, Lilly Winwood, Lari White, Ty Herndon andRobby Hecht.

Also confirmed are Ani DiFranco, Emerson Hart (Tonic), Kristian Bush (Sugarland), Shawn Mullins, Jay Farrar (Son Volt), Peter Holsapple (the dB's), Drew Holcomb, Jeffrey Steele, Parker Millsap, Dan Bern, Steve Poltz, Hayes Carll, Charlie Mars, Grant-Lee Phillips, Bob Schneider, David Ryan Harris (John Mayer band), David Hodges (Evanescence), Bobby Bare, Jr., Chris Stills, Jim Lauderdale, Callaghan, Kris Delmhorst, Kristy Lee, BettySoo, Randall Bramblett, Griffin House, Jennifer Knapp, Toby Lightman, Liz Longley and Heather Maloney.

Headliner Jackson Browne has written and performed some of the most literate and moving songs in popular music and has defined a genre of songwriting charged with honesty, emotion and personal politics. He was honored with induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, and the Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 2007. He will perform Saturday afternoon, January 16. "Hopes and dreams become reality at the 30A Songwriters Festival," says Russell Carter, co-producer/Festival Chair. "We are thrilled to present Jackson Browne as the 2016 headline act. Jackson will perform solo on guitar and piano. It is a singer songwriter performance in its most basic form and it is quite simply profound."

Grace Potter, who Time Magazine says "can belt heartily and coo seductively while displaying swagger," comes to 30A for a Sunday afternoon headlining performance (January 17) in support of her new solo album, "Midnight."

The 30A Songwriters Festival production team transforms amphitheaters, town halls, restaurants, theaters, bars and covered patios into unique music venues ranging in capacity from 75 to 400 indoors and 4,000 outdoors. Festival weekend passes are now available for $230 and can be purchased at www.30asongwritersfestival.com, and locally in South Walton at the Cultural Arts Alliance office and at Central Square Records in Seaside.

This year, the 30A Songwriters Festival is teaming up with Folk Alley, a multi-media music service produced by NPR affiliate WKSU. Folk Alley will be on site throughout the weekend interviewing artists and filming and recording performances in a home studio on 30A. Edited 30A Songwriters Festival segments will be aired on Folk Alley's syndicated NPR radio show and on their website and mobile app throughout the year. As part of Southern Living's 50th Anniversary Celebration partnership, the magazine is sending a production team to the 30A Songwriters Festival to film interviews with musicians, which will be featured in their 50 Favorite Things About South Walton and Biscuits and Jam Series.

Additional artists confirmed for 2016 include Joe Crookston, Guthrie Brown, Peter Karp, Bonnie Bishop, Caroline Aiken, Jeff Black, Brigitte DeMeyer, Will Kimbrough, Willis Alan Ramsey, Deana Carter, Tommy Talton, Hailey Whitters, Webb Wilder, Brett Young, Hayley Reardon, Jessi Alexander, Corey Crowder, Jamie Lin Wilson, Elise Davis, Alan Rhody, Joel Rafael, Kelsey Waldon, Farewell Angelina, Kyle Jacobs, Sonya Kitchell, Jeff Cohen, Austin Plaine, Jeffrey Foucault, Eliot Bronson, Dylan Pratt, The Cactus Blossoms, Ken Johnson, Jonathan Tyler, Andrew Combs, Count This Penny, Davin McCoy, Carson McHone, Leah Edwards, Annalise Emerick, Liz Vice, Ashleigh Flynn, Friends of Lola, Dean Johanesen, Grayson Capps & Corky Hughes, Kevin Gordon, Hannah Thomas, Old Salt Union, Blue Mother Tupelo, Chris DeStefano, Chuck Wicks, Caroline Spence, Kyshona Armstrong, Donnie Sundal, Boukou Groove, Brian White, Karyn Williams, Jonathan Mitchell, Jerry Salley, Pete Sallis, Eric Erdman, JT Harding, Brett James, Matt Jenkins, Rick Brantley, Crys Matthews, Geoff McBride, The Mulligan Brothers, Jon Nite, David Olney, Josh Osborne, CJ Solar, The Owsley Brothers, Wildlife Specials and more.

The 30A Songwriters Festival is known throughout the music community as a destination where writers who perform their own music, and performers who write their own songs, come together for an extended weekend to perform varied genres of music ranging from country, blues, folk, soul and Americana. For audiences, it's a rare chance to connect with their favorite artists in a more intimate, informal setting. "I think we will all look back on 2016 as the year that the 30A Songwriters Festival fully comes of age," says Jennifer Steele, co-producer/ Executive Director of the CAA. "All of the South Walton community embraces and supports the event financially, as volunteers, as participating musicians, or as attendees. And as the thousands of fans who travel here in January attest, music lovers across the country are fully on board."

The 30A Songwriters Festival's confirmed venue partners include Vue on 30A, Grand Boulevard at Sandestin (sponsored by Silver Sands Premium Outlets and Centennial Bank, Inc.), Pandora's, Hibiscus Coffee & Guesthouse, Fish Out of Water, 30Avenue, The Gathering Spot, The Boat House, The Lake House, Pizza Bar, Bud & Alley's, Seaside Meeting Hall, Central Square Records, 723 Whiskey Bravo, Old Florida Fish House, The Pearl, WaterSound Beach Club, Caliza (sponsored by NW Florida Beaches Int'l Airport), Amavida and Rosemary Beach Town Hall (sponsored by Royce Smith and Rosemary Beach Cottage Rentals).

Four course VIP dinners are being offered on Saturday and on Sunday created by award-winning chefs from the Southeast. Both dinners will include wine pairings as well as special musical guests to be announced at a later date. VIP tickets offering premium seating on the lawn and access to the VIP tent serving complementary lunch, beer, wine and cocktails at Grand Boulevard are available online atwww.30asongwritersfestival.com

For lodging and special housing packages offered by our lodging partners, please be sure to check the lodging section on the website. These include: WaterColor Inn & Resort, Sunburst Beach Vacations, Ocean Reef Vacation Rentals, 30A Vacay, ResortQuest Northwest Florida, Emerald Coast Vacation Rentals, Sanders Beach Rentals, Homeowner's Collection and Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard.

The 30A Songwriters Festival is co-produced by Russell Carter Artist Management and the Cultural Arts Alliance of Walton County (CAA), and is presented by Visit South Walton and Grand Boulevard at Sandestin. Others sponsors include ASCAP, Centennial Bank, Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport and 30a.com.

Net proceeds from the 30A Songwriters Festival will benefit the CAA and help it to fulfill its mission to support the arts throughout Walton County. Members of the CAA receive a 10% discount off weekend passes and admission to an exclusive performance on Wednesday, January 13, at Fish Out of Water. Call (850) 622-5970 to become a member and take advantage of the discount.

For more information on the 2016 30A Songwriters Festival, including a full list of artists, venues, and ticket purchase information, visit www.30asongwritersfestival.com.

See SoWal.com home page story for your guide to 30A Songwriters Festival and photos/video from past years.

Last edited by a moderator:

2thebeach

Beach Crab
Jan 4, 2016
I waited to late to try to get tickets!!! Is there anyone out there who bought tickets but is not going to be able to go??Please let me know-Thanks

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
How can it still be called "30A" Songwriters when one of the major venues is now Grand Boulevard? I love Grand Boulevard, but it's not 30A.

Is it true that Gulf Place is NOT a venue now, mainly because they did not want to PAY 30A Songwriters promoter/organizer to be a venue?

My question is: do all of the venues pay to be a 30A Songwriters venue?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
How can it still be called "30A" Songwriters when one of the major venues is now Grand Boulevard? I love Grand Boulevard, but it's not 30A.

Is it true that Gulf Place is NOT a venue now, mainly because they did not want to PAY 30A Songwriters promoter/organizer to be a venue?

My question is: do all of the venues pay to be a 30A Songwriters venue?

This is the first year for the festival to venture off Scenic 30A, which I think is a good thing to open it to uniqiue and excellent venues in South Walton such as Grand Boulevard - offering more big events in SoWal due to convenient location, good space and parking. The vast majority of the festival takes place along 30A and I'm sure that will always be the case.

Grand Blvd is considered the Main Stage this year. Also, 30Avenue (on the other end near Rosemary Beach) is new venue offering a special loft stage in one of the buildings. Cuvee 30A at 30Avenue is a Sunday brunch venue. Grayton Beer Company tap room has a special show, also up on Hwy 98.

The 30A Songwriters Festival confirmed venue partners include:
Vue
Grand Boulevard (main stage)
Pandora's
Hibiscus Coffee & Guesthouse
Fish Out of Water
30Avenue
Cuvee 30A
The Gathering Spot - WaterColor Inn
The Boat House - WaterColor
The Lake House - WaterColor
Pizza Bar
Bud & Alley's
Seaside Meeting Hall - Seaside REP
Central Square Records
723 Whiskey Bravo
Old Florida Fish House
Havana Beach at The Pearl
WaterSound Beach Club
Caliza
Amavida - Rosemary Beach
Rosemary Beach Town Hall
Trebeache'
Grayton Beer Company - Tap room

Weekend passes and VIP packages are SOLD OUT. But, day passes to Grand Boulevard remain available at Box Office | 30asongwritersfestival.com

I do not know if day passes will be available at the last minute as usual. I'm assuming not since the event is sold out for weekend passes.

I'll miss Gulf Place as a main stage. Yes, venues pay the festival for their participation and shut down their restaurants to the public to host their stages.

Tip for the weekend of Songwriters: There is a TON of great music going on all weekend during the festival, apart from the festival, at local restaurants everywhere. Check The Red Bar, Local Catch, Marie's Bistro, Cafe Thirty-A, Baytowne spots, etc. No ticket needed! And you never know who will show up on the stages at any given place at any given time.

2thebeach

Beach Crab
Jan 4, 2016
This is the first year for the festival to venture off Scenic 30A, which I think is a good thing to open it to uniqiue and excellent venues in South Walton such as Grand Boulevard - offering more big events in SoWal due to convenient location, good space and parking. The vast majority of the festival takes place along 30A and I'm sure that will always be the case.

Grand Blvd is considered the Main Stage this year. Also, 30Avenue (on the other end near Rosemary Beach) is new venue offering a special loft stage in one of the buildings. Cuvee 30A at 30Avenue is a Sunday brunch venue. Grayton Beer Company tap room has a special show, also up on Hwy 98.

The 30A Songwriters Festival confirmed venue partners include:
Vue
Grand Boulevard (main stage)
Pandora's
Hibiscus Coffee & Guesthouse
Fish Out of Water
30Avenue
Cuvee 30A
The Gathering Spot - WaterColor Inn
The Boat House - WaterColor
The Lake House - WaterColor
Pizza Bar
Bud & Alley's
Seaside Meeting Hall - Seaside REP
Central Square Records
723 Whiskey Bravo
Old Florida Fish House
Havana Beach at The Pearl
WaterSound Beach Club
Caliza
Amavida - Rosemary Beach
Rosemary Beach Town Hall
Trebeache'
Grayton Beer Company - Tap room

Weekend passes and VIP packages are SOLD OUT. But, day passes to Grand Boulevard remain available at Box Office | 30asongwritersfestival.com

I do not know if day passes will be available at the last minute as usual. I'm assuming not since the event is sold out for weekend passes.

I'll miss Gulf Place as a main stage. Yes, venues pay the festival for their participation and shut down their restaurants to the public to host their stages.

Tip for the weekend of Songwriters: There is a TON of great music going on all weekend during the festival, apart from the festival, at local restaurants everywhere. Check The Red Bar, Local Catch, Marie's Bistro, Cafe Thirty-A, Baytowne spots, etc. No ticket needed! And you never know who will show up on the stages at any given place at any given time.
I agree that the 30A songwriters festival should be on 30A! What is going to be next put a venue in Panama City?? The reason the festival is so successful is that it is on 30A. Grand Blvd. is not and never will be 30A. I understand that it has now become about making money but it should be about 30A which is what made it a winning festival. The closeness of the venues where you could walk or ride a bike or golf cart. It changes the whole dynamic when you have to drive 10-15 miles in traffic to a venue. Is the seeing red wine festival going to be in Grand Blvd. next year??

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Sounds like this is no longer the 30A Songwriters festival... Grand Blvd...HA.

Part of the issue I'm sure is due to PARKING and the lack of it.

The County has done little to aggressively fix the issue. They could have bought that lot by 30A and 393, but no...

Now it looks like instead of making efforts to solve parking problems, the County and the new restaurant that wants to go in on that corner are going to add to it!

Less spaces but more vehicles.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I agree that the 30A songwriters festival should be on 30A! What is going to be next put a venue in Panama City?? The reason the festival is so successful is that it is on 30A. Grand Blvd. is not and never will be 30A. I understand that it has now become about making money but it should be about 30A which is what made it a winning festival. The closeness of the venues where you could walk or ride a bike or golf cart. It changes the whole dynamic when you have to drive 10-15 miles in traffic to a venue. Is the seeing red wine festival going to be in Grand Blvd. next year??

Our little community is very unique with a Scenic Hwy along the beautiful beaches but also with outstanding neighorhoods and destinations just to the north along Hwy 98. I'm happy that we can venture off the scenic highway a little any time of the year and for this festival as well

The songwriters festival is as unique as our beach town. I am glad to see it change, grow and include a variety of venues.

Shuttle Information
Shuttles will run from 30Avenue (on east end of 30A) and WaterColor Publix (on County Road 395) both days at 10:30, 11:00, 11:30, 12:00 and 12:30.
Return shuttles will depart Grand Boulevard at 4:00pm.

Seeing Red has always been a Seaside wine festival and I doubt that would change but you never know!

Last edited: