• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Could it be because St. Patty's is not a national holiday, and the vast majority of us have to work? :wave:

btw, I missed it too - pics?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I still don't understand why people celebrate St Patrick's Day three days before St Patrick's Day. I didn't even read this thread until today. I saw the Stinky's Fish Camp float go through Grayton yesterday, with a small sign which read, "Lake Place opening soon!" I thought that was a genius way to announce it, though my friend said it must be the St Patrick's Day parade float. Very strange that it is celebrated on the weekend rather than the St Patrick's Day. I don't do other holiday's on the weekend if the actual holiday falls on a weekday, and I am not about to start doing this one.

Get over yourself.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I still don't understand why people celebrate St Patrick's Day three days before St Patrick's Day. I didn't even read this thread until today. I saw the Stinky's Fish Camp float go through Grayton yesterday, with a small sign which read, "Lake Place opening soon!" I thought that was a genius way to announce it, though my friend said it must be the St Patrick's Day parade float. Very strange that it is celebrated on the weekend rather than the St Patrick's Day. I don't do other holiday's on the weekend if the actual holiday falls on a weekday, and I am not about to start doing this one.

I hear ya. and totally agree. but SN has a good point- we aren't off work on St Patty's Day - so if you are going to do a parade, it has to be on the weekend. either way, participation may not be as good as it could be. oh well. I'm not particularly into celebrating St Patty's Day ahead of time or at all, but I hope those that did had a blast! also, its just a good excuse for the community to come together, especially these days!

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It was discussed by the Parade committee and agreed that to do it on a weekday would exclude those working and kids who have school. It was a great time. Pics and video forthcoming.

Congratulations to Stinky's Fish Camp for winning the trophy.

Also thanks to Niles for awarding the 56 cars behind the parade honorable mention. :funn:

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Also thanks to Niles for awarding the 56 cars behind the parade honorable mention. :funn:
:D did he sing again? He left the other night before I could tell him I was impressed by his rendention of "House of the rising sun"

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
St Patrick's day is celebrated on a weekend when required because it is a drinking holiday. Beer, cabbage, corned beef, more beer...having a community observance on a weekend is understandable.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
And perhaps we should all aspire to this sort of celebration --

large_IMG_0191.jpg

But Rome wasn't built in a day, but maybe someday it will be signature event worthy of taking the day off on the 17th.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Skunky is correct. There is a big parade in Dallas on...GREENville Ave. every year on the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. Lots of drunks. :D

Punz...love that pic!

swgb...:rotfl:did anyone take pics of the faces of those 56 drivers?