• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I mentioned this under the thread regarding the $600 thousand dollar press box and that kids in NoWal (anything north of the bay) are largely being ignored by County Government, not to mention what an utter failure Cecilia Jones has been in addressing the needs of her own district while ensuring that her daughter-in-law gets the press box cleaned by the county and making sure they have the Taj Mahal of press boxes built.

What's really preventing the county from helping these kids if there is a will and a way to get it done for those south of the bay? Surely the County (at Cecilia Jones direction) can help get this land cleared...she can assuredly deliver dirt for votes.

Article from WZEP
The Walton County 4-H entered a land lease in March 2017, with Farm Bureau on a property that is directly behind the Farm Bureau building. Currently, the property is undeveloped which means that 4-H would need help from the community to clear and remove trees, prepare the ground, bring the ground to the proper grade/level, and develop the area into a small workshop arena with temporary panels. The Walton County Extension office is landlocked and has no room to expand or any an area to hold workshops for the community. All the land behind the Extension office is filled to max capacity with the “Hobby Farm” demo. The “Hobby Farm” is a demo show for the community to see what can be done with little space. The Extension offices hope to see this land developed into a temporary arena for there animal science clubs to host showmanship and judging workshops as a way to prepare 4-H youth for the Walton County Fair and other shows in the area. One might think that since the Walton County Extension Office is a part of the University of Florida, that they would receive money for projects like these. However, they do not and rely upon external grants through community partnerships. If anyone would like to support this project in any way you may contact the Walton County Extension Office at 850-892-8172 and ask to speak to 4-H Agent Jena Gilmore or to County Extension Director Mike Goodchild.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
4-H is a wonderful program for children and is mostly staffed by volunteers who give their time to make a positive impact on our youth. I know hundreds of children throughout the county, including my own, who participated in one of the dozens of farm related projects 4-H sponsors and so I know personally how those programs help our youth. This project needs $30,000 to prepare the land to build and the County Extension Office, which administers the 4-H program, requested those funds from the Board of County Commissioners. They were turned away and told to find private donors and funds. So, our BCC cannot find $30,000 in a 150 million dollar county budget to help our kids? Shameful. This project is in District 2 and I can promise you that if I was the current District 2 commissioner I would have fought hard to fund our 4-H and would work hard to convince my fellow commissioners to fund this project. If you want change vote Danny Glidewell for District 2 on August 28.