• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Colleen Duffley, a local artist and photographer who ran seven marathons in seven days – in the Congo – will be the March 17 speaker at the Emerald Coast Meditation Society. She titles her talk “On the Run – Congo!”

The free meeting will start at 6:30 p.m. with a 30-minute silent meditation at Christ the King Episcopal Church, 480 N. Co. Hwy. 393, Santa Rosa Beach, one-half mile north of Hwy. 98. The ECMS is ecumenical and does not follow any religion.

A runner as well as a photographer, Duffley says the races were on behalf of women’s equality, and she shot the whole time she was running, so has some amazing photos to show the group. “’On the run’ is a series of images I take on the run-- which is my meditation,” Duffley explains.

In 2009 Duffley started Studio b. in Alys Beach, a creative venue that brings creative people together. It is for “the best of the best,” she says, featuring not only painting, photography and sculpture, but also writing, food, fashion and design--as well as handmade paper boxes from Stockholm!

Duffley was born and grew up in Pittsburgh with a British mother, and also lived elsewhere in Pennsylvania. Having earned a degree in art from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, she is a commercial advertising and magazine photographer. As founder and creative director of Colleen Duffley Productions, she has shot national and international campaigns for Nieman Marcus, Volkswagon, and Carnival Cruise lines; and her photos have appeared in hundreds of national and international magazines.

She eventually moved to south Florida, Birmingham and Dallas, then to this area, where she used to come for photo shoots. She has lived 13 years on Eastern Lake in Santa Rosa Beach.

“Because of my career I have had the good fortune to travel all over the world,” Duffley says. “In fact during most of my career I have traveled 200-plus days a year.” Instead of kids, she says she has two wonderful cats, Pippa and Stella.

The ECMS meets on the first and third Thursday of every month except July and August. Anyone who needs meditation instruction should arrive by 6:15 p.m. For information contact Nancy James, nancyjames@embarqmail.com