• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mermaid arts

Beach Lover
Jul 30, 2007
Artists at Gulf Place
Artists at Gulf Place
2nd Annual
FENCE OF ART FLAGS
September 11, 2009

Please join the artists of Artists at Gulf Place for the second annual Fence of Art Flags
to benefit the
SW FIRE DISTRICT
in memory and honor of the
firefighters of 9-11

Our creative locals have been busy,
so please stop by !

All flags are being sold for a donation only!

Artists at Gulf Place
(corner of 393 and 30-A)
September 11, 2009
10-5

For more information, please call 622-0400

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Awesome! I so need a man on the street to help me get one of these works of art!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
This from the South Walton FD web site:

"The flags will be displayed at Gulf Place beginning September 11th and the Artists at Gulf Place will accept donations from those interested in owning one of the flag masterpieces. The proceeds collected from the purchase of these flags will be donated to the South Walton Fire District. "The artists recognition and support of the SWFD is extremely appreciated and we would like to do something special in return for our community with the donations we receive. The SWFD will use all donations received to purchase smoke detectors for the hearing impaired, which we will provide to community members free of charge", said Deputy Chief Sean Hughes.
While donating smoke detectors to the hearing impaired is very noble, couldn't a more creative solution to fundraising at a different time be used vs. using 9/11 as a theme? If the funds were being donated to victims families, I could understand, but using this date seems tasteless, IMHO.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

While donating smoke detectors to the hearing impaired is very noble, couldn't a more creative solution to fundraising at a different time be used vs. using 9/11 as a theme? If the funds were being donated to victims families, I could understand, but using this date seems tasteless, IMHO.

I think it is a wonderful way to celebrate 9/11 as a Day of Service & Remembrance - a day that we are all encouraged to help provide a needed service within our own communities. SWFD has identified a need within our community - and they are committed to fulfilling it.

As I see it, everyone involved in the local Art Flag project, from sign creators to Artists at Gulf Place to people purchasing/donating, to SWFD assisting the hearing impaired - are honoring 9/11 victims and those who served.

It is inspiring to think of all the thousands of small community projects going on all over the country to benefit local needs in honor of 9/11.

Thank you community of SoWal! :clap:

9/11 Day of Service & Remembrance

Last edited:

mermaid arts

Beach Lover
Jul 30, 2007
Artists at Gulf Place

We are just trying to do a little good... spread a little love and appreciation.

9-11 is not the 'theme' but instead a day that we, the artists of Artists at Gulf Place and lots of creative locals, have chosen to say thank you to the Firefighters of the SW Fire District and to let them know that we will forever remember and honor the 346 firefighters that lost their lives on September 11.

Those 346 firefighters dedicated their lives to the service of others and I believe it to be a great tribute to those men and women that the SW Fire District would use the money we raise on September 11 to purchase smoke detectors and donate them to the hearing impaired.

Those that are given smoke detectors may not be "victim's families" ... but on September 11, 2001, we were all family.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We are just trying to do a little good... spread a little love and appreciation.

9-11 is not the 'theme' but instead a day that we, the artists of Artists at Gulf Place and lots of creative locals, have chosen to say thank you to the Firefighters of the SW Fire District and to let them know that we will forever remember and honor the 346 firefighters that lost their lives on September 11.

Those 346 firefighters dedicated their lives to the service of others and I believe it to be a great tribute to those men and women that the SW Fire District would use the money we raise on September 11 to purchase smoke detectors and donate them to the hearing impaired.

Those that are given smoke detectors may not be "victim's families" ... but on September 11, 2001, we were all family.

MA - it is a beautiful tribute to our firefighters and all firefighters who serve and protect. it fulfills a community need while also honoring the national day of service & remembrance of 9/11. thank you so much.:love: