• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Sheriff: “To be clear, this is not a Sheriff’s Office arrest. We empower deputies to use discretion and to weigh the impact of arresting — in this case a 9-year-old — and how arresting them would impact them.”

By JENNIE McKEON

DEFUNIAK SPRINGS — A 9-year-old boy was arrested and booked at the Walton County Jail on Wednesday night after allegedly taking a prepaid cellphone from a store.

According to the arrest report from DeFuniak Springs Police Department, an officer was called to the Dollar General, located at 387 U.S. Highway 90, after a store employee complained of juveniles drinking and “possibly smoking crack” outside of the store.

The employee said she observed two “very young juveniles” go in and out of the store and then into the wooded area next to the store with an older couple. She said she believed they were smoking crack and they had walked out of view. Police searched the surrounding area for the suspects, but they were not located, the report said.

Police were called back to the store several minutes later regarding the same juveniles. They were observed on the store’s surveillance video cameras cutting cellphones out of box containers, placing them in their pockets and exiting the store without paying. The total cost for the two phones was $73.

The responding officer was still in the area when he observed a 9-year-old boy fitting the description of one of the juvenile suspects in the video. The boy was with his mother. As they approached the store, the employee confronted them. The juvenile admitted that he and his brother took the phones without paying. He said he still had one of the phones, but the other he gave to an unidentified female. His brother could not be located, the report said.

www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20170504/9-year-old-arrested-booked-into-county-jail

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
OK @John G, let er RIP!

This is the most ridiculous BS I've ever heard.

1.) We have a juvenile facility here. Why was the 9 year old NOT taken there?

2.) The Sheriff is trying to wash his hands of this mess but the bottom line is the Sheriff is in CONTROL of the jail and this 9 year old should never have been taken there!

3.) City Marshall Weeks has not made a comment to my knowledge but seriously? Have your Officers NOT BEEN TRAINED in how to deal with a juvenile?

I will give you this kid absolutely deserves to be punished (including an A$$ whoop-in) but FLORIDA LAW PREVENTS juveniles from being in a facility with adults!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I'm not sure what to say, I'm speechless...
:dunno:
Based on the report, I see the 9 year old child as a victim and those sending him in to steal are the criminals. Need to see all the facts on this, not just the media report.

Additionally, shoplifting / theft is a misdemeanor that the officer could have issued a Notice to Appear for, OR waited to speak to the State Attorney about the best way to move forward with this.

Wonder if there is a departmental policy on arrest of juveniles?

9 year old + shoplifting + physical arrest and ride to jail = bad decision (IMO).:banned:

Kudos to the Sheriff for his well crafted comment. :clap: