A Party with a Purpose @ Bud & Alley's. Sun Sep 20, 3-8pm. benefit for Kim Estes.

Discussion in 'Events and Activities' started by Dave Rauschkolb, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Dave Rauschkolb

Dave Rauschkolb Beach Fanatic

Thanks so much! Please give Mo a call

We are planning it on a Sunday in Mid September, either the week after labor day or the one after.

2. momof2kids

momof2kids Beach Fanatic

Any updates on how Kim is doing? thx!

3. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

Can I help?

Avalon Photography is happy to donate a portrait session or two. Can we put a silent auction together? I know plenty of businesses that would "pony up" for Kim. I have plenty of time (unfortunately) now that season is pretty much over, and I am not shy to call on the locals for a donation of product/service.

4. bluemtnrunner

bluemtnrunner Beach Fanatic

The latest that I got from Dave is that Kim's condition remains about the same. She is being moved so that the ventilator can be removed and a trach put in. Hopefully this will give her some relief and allow her to focus her energy on recovering.
    The fundraiser is being planned for the 3rd Sunday in September.
    I'm willing to do odd jobs between now and then for anyone so I can raise money to spend at the dunking booth!!!!
    I believe ChefEd said he is being auctioned off. He'll dance for bucks and bucks and bucks alone.
    Keep Kim in your prayers and make plans now to come out and help raise funds which she and her family will need to beat this thing.

5. Dave Rauschkolb

Kim Estes Update August 20

Kim has been moved to a very specialized facility in Pensacola to begin her recovery. She underwent a Tracheotomy yesterday morning and has been sedated pretty heavily since Sunday due to the extreme discomfort due to the breathing and feeding tube down her throat. She has some strength and movement in her shoulders and left arm and she can move her neck. She has been unable to speak for the past three weeks because of the breathing tube; it is our hope she can begin to speak post Trache.

I am going to visit her tomorrow and will send well wishes. She will be there for 3 weeks or more and then, when she is strong enough, she will be moved to a rehab facility to get her limbs working again. Her mom and James are looking into a place in FWB.

Hopefully she will be comfortable enough after the Trache so she won't have to be sedated with Morphine and other narcotics.

I know Kim will hit this head on once she can begin to assert her WILL over this Syndrome. Anyone who knows Kim knows Kim's WILL is very strong and I am certain she will conquer this very forcefully and with grace as only Kim can.

6. bluemtnrunner

Thanks for keeping us updated, Dave. I cannot wait for Kim to be back with us. You are so right about her strong will. Just wait until she can speak again... I'm sure she is going to voice her displeasure in ways we can't even imagine yet. I look forward to hearing her do just that.

7. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

I am happy to do a beach portrait session for 100.00 and donate all of the money to the "Kim" fund. Any takers?

8. heatnkess

heatnkess Beach Crab

I am currently working on donations for our Silent Auction for Kim's Benefit. Anyone interested in donating anything can get in touch with me at Bud and Alley's. My contact information:

heather@budandalleys.com
    850-231-0008.

9. bluemtnrunner

I have no updates but I do have this:
    Kim Estes is a dear friend and a 9 year employee of Bud & Alley's (currently Special Event’s and Wedding Coordinator). Recently, Kim was diagnosed with Guillain-Barr? Syndrome Guillain-Barr? Syndrome Information Page: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). It is a rare disorder in which the body’s immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. Kim is currently paralyzed and at a specialty hospital in Pensacola. While many patients make a full recovery, it can be a very slow and difficult process possibly lasting up to a year or longer. Hopes are high and prayers are strong. With that said, Bud & Alley’s is hosting a benefit to help relieve the financial burdens involved with Kim’s medical needs. We ask that you please join us for a . . .
    Party with a Purpose
    at Bud & Alley’s on Sunday, September 20th
    3 – 8 pm

$10 cover at the door (all proceeds going to the Kim Estes Assistance Fund)
    ** Free Food, Silent Auction and Live Bands including Cadillac Willie & Dread Clampitt **

Also, an account has been established in Kim’s name at the Wachovia Bank in Seaside for financial donations. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Donations can also be sent to:
    Kim Estes Assistance Fund
    P.O. Box 4898
    Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459

Thank you for your help and for the continued prayers and support for Kim and her family.

10. avalon

avalon Beach Fanatic

We keep missing each other by phone... Please include a portrait session with a set of 4x6 preview prints in the silent auction. I will send a gift certificate and display piece. Best wishes to Kim and family.

11. bluemtnrunner

Please don't forget to come out and join us Party with a Purpose
    at Bud & Alley’s on Sunday, September 20th
    3 – 8 pm

$10 cover at the door (all proceeds going to the Kim Estes Assistance Fund)
    ** Free Food, Silent Auction and Live Bands including Cadillac Willie & Dread Clampitt **

12. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

[​IMG]

13. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Cadillac Willie & Dread Clampitt play at Bud & Alley's for A Party with a Purpose!
    Benefiting Kim Estes and family
    Sunday Sept 20
    3-8pm
    [​IMG]

please see this thread for more about Kim's diagnosis as well as an address for donations: All About SoWal | Kim Estes

14. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Bump

Sounds like a great event to help Kim - thanks B & A's!:clap:

15. bluemtnrunner

Good music, good food......And a Dunking Booth...dunk your "favorite" owner, manager or chef!!!!! I've been saving for a month for this one!

Come out and enjoy while helping out our dear friend, Kim.

16. MaryAnne

MaryAnne Beach Lover

Silent Auction! I love silent auctions. I'd place a bid if I knew what was being offered. Any possibility of placing the items (or some of them) here?

17. momof2kids

momof2kids Beach Fanatic

bumping!

18. bluemtnrunner

Dave got an update on Kim and passed on to us that she has been able to move her arm, touch her face and to speak in a whisper. This was amazing news considering that she has been ill since mid July and unable to move at all for most of that time. It has been so long and we have been, and remain, very concerned. Now we can be more optimistic too.

This event was a huge success! Thanks to everyone who came out in support of Kim. I'm sure she could feel the collective spirit from Pensacola. I believe 600 people came out throughout the day and evening. I know we left there exhausted. This community came together and supported Kim and her family in a way that has deeply humbled me. I was in the presence of grace all day long and I want to thank all of you for that.

19. DarrenL

DarrenL Beach Comber

Amazing event

I was very proud to be a part of the event. Sometimes you feel like you could do more but everyone contributing was very inspiring. I just want to say thank you for all of the people who put the event together. It was a huge success.

20. Dave Rauschkolb

Kim Estes Update October 2

I visited with Kim on Wednesday and I am pleased to report that Kim's condition is improving!! Her facial muscles have come back so she can communicate by mouthing words and her movement in her hands and arms is improved as well. She really looked great!! I showed her a video of the fund raiser Willie and Leah Mason produced. Her attitude is really positive. Kim wanted to thank all who came to and contributed to the fund raiser. To date we have raised close to $26,000 on Kim's behalf.