• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Under the auspices of the Sheriff in a 3/2 vote with Chapman and Comander voting nay.

Chapman actually wanted another 50 thousand dollars feasibility study which they voted no to in January voting instead to do the study in house and then wasn't happy with the in house study they all voted for.

Chapman was also a tad hypocritical regarding certifications saying when reserts were due they needed to be completed. I agree however, when you cheat on your own recertification it hard to drive your point home and you look a little foolish trying to make the point. Just sayin..

Comander's opposition I believe was based on her own perceptions of how she personally views the job Bobby Martin has done and quite frankly, it's my belief that had he been doing what is being done now long ago, this transfer would never have happened.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
To clarify, transfer is for (North) Walton County Fire Rescue, fire protection and EMS, affecting unincorporated area north of the bay plus Freeport and Paxton. Does not affect South Walton Fire District or the independent fire districts north of the bay.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
The Walton County Board of County Commissioners voted today to turn supervision and control of the Walton County Fire/Rescue over to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office, currently led by Sheriff Michael Adkinson. The official switch of control will be at 7am on Wednesday, April 26th. The vote, however, was split by a 3 to 2 margin. Those voting in favor of the change were Commissioners Cecilia Jones, Tony Anderson, and Melanie Nipper. Those voting against the change were Commissioners Sara Comander and Bill Chapman.

The Sheriff’s Office has already absorbed the Walton County Jail, Animal Control, 911/Emergency Communications and, in July, announced the takeover of the Department of Children and Families in Walton County. Though that consolidation is pending legislative approval, Sheriff Adkinson said in July, “It’s expensive, it’s difficult, it’s a political nightmare, but, It is the right thing to do.”

While the constitutional duties of Florida Sheriff’s do not specify firefighting and EMS operations as part of those duties, Chapter 30 does state Sheriff’s are obliged to “Execute all orders of the boards of county commissioners of their counties, for which services they shall receive such compensation, out of the county treasury, as said boards may deem proper and to perform such other duties as may be imposed upon them by law.” Currently, only two of Florida’s 67 counties have consolidated firefighting and rescue operations under the Sheriff; Broward and Citrus Counties. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, whose office took over fire services in 2003, told WZEP, “The consolidation has been beneficial, and I believe public safety is enhanced. The merger has improved communications between deputies and firefighters and allows us to work together every day and train together, which gives us an advantage when responding to critical incidents.”

WZEP AM 1460 (source)

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
To clarify, transfer is for (North) Walton County Fire Rescue, fire protection and EMS, affecting unincorporated area north of the bay plus Freeport and Paxton. Does not affect South Walton Fire District or the independent fire districts north of the bay.

Thank GOD!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The Walton County Board of County Commissioners voted today to turn supervision and control of the Walton County Fire/Rescue over to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office, currently led by Sheriff Michael Adkinson. The official switch of control will be at 7am on Wednesday, April 26th. The vote, however, was split by a 3 to 2 margin. Those voting in favor of the change were Commissioners Cecilia Jones, Tony Anderson, and Melanie Nipper. Those voting against the change were Commissioners Sara Comander and Bill Chapman.

The Sheriff’s Office has already absorbed the Walton County Jail, Animal Control, 911/Emergency Communications and, in July, announced the takeover of the Department of Children and Families in Walton County. Though that consolidation is pending legislative approval, Sheriff Adkinson said in July, “It’s expensive, it’s difficult, it’s a political nightmare, but, It is the right thing to do.”

While the constitutional duties of Florida Sheriff’s do not specify firefighting and EMS operations as part of those duties, Chapter 30 does state Sheriff’s are obliged to “Execute all orders of the boards of county commissioners of their counties, for which services they shall receive such compensation, out of the county treasury, as said boards may deem proper and to perform such other duties as may be imposed upon them by law.” Currently, only two of Florida’s 67 counties have consolidated firefighting and rescue operations under the Sheriff; Broward and Citrus Counties. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, whose office took over fire services in 2003, told WZEP, “The consolidation has been beneficial, and I believe public safety is enhanced. The merger has improved communications between deputies and firefighters and allows us to work together every day and train together, which gives us an advantage when responding to critical incidents.”

WZEP AM 1460 (source)

This was a huge mistake by the BCC.:puke:

I hope I'm wrong, but don't think I am. ;)

What's next for WCSO, trash collection from Waste Management? :poop:

All this is will be a resume builder for Mike if and when Adam Putnam is elected Florida Governor. Watch :cool: (Mark this post)

ABSW should take note of this and re-tune their approach at incorporation....:box:

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Like most things where the sheriff is concerned, I think you are wrong.

I'm fairness people think I'm wrong about lots things too.

I don't think it's wrong for North Walton to want professionally run services. The bottom line is if the sheriff can't produce better and improve conditions and services the BCC can always take it back and he said today that if he can't turn things around he would gladly hand it back to them. He also said he would work with existing budgets and grants.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
"He also said he would work with existing budgets and grants."

Only time will tell...:dunno:

I am glad that NoWal with get some service it feels was necessary, but please note this date as an I Told You So Day in Walton :doh:County.

He just brought an ex-State Dept of Ag Guy on board paying him $120K + when many of our local men and women deserved that spot....:drink::party::drink::party:

Politricks at its best in Walton. :popcorn:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Although my participation in the "Study" was mentioned as well as Bonnie McQuiston, Frank Day and Mike Flynt I feel that I actually had no part in the development of Report.

I was invited to only 1 meeting - the SWOT analysis. The balance of the report was done internally by the Sheriffs office. I personally do not believe that the transfer does anything to resolve the issues other than "leadership".

The transfer will not:

1. Reduce response times
2. Solve the staffing issues
3. Lower the fire rating for residents
4. Improve the facilities or
5. Provide advancement opportunities for employees

Those things are only improved with an sustained increase in funding. The Sheriff offered no vision concerning the funding levels. He stated he could work with the current budget until the new budget cycle was completed.

Once again the North Walton residents have not been consulted concerning the level of professional service they are willing to fund.

It appears that the BCC wants to rid itself of the management of a vital service rather than addressing the funding issue directly.

It appears that the commissioners are trying to provide a urban level of service in a rural setting with no funding source identified.

I thought the "Study" provided by the Sherrif was worth exactly what the commission paid. Nothing !

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Although my participation in the "Study" was mentioned as well as Bonnie McQuiston, Frank Day and Mike Flynt I feel that I actually had no part in the development of Report.

I was invited to only 1 meeting - the SWOT analysis. The balance of the report was done internally by the Sheriffs office. I personally do not believe that the transfer does anything to resolve the issues other than "leadership".

The transfer will not:

1. Reduce response times
2. Solve the staffing issues
3. Lower the fire rating for residents
4. Improve the facilities or
5. Provide advancement opportunities for employees

Those things are only improved with an sustained increase in funding. The Sheriff offered no vision concerning the funding levels. He stated he could work with the current budget until the new budget cycle was completed.

Once again the North Walton residents have not been consulted concerning the level of professional service they are willing to fund.

It appears that the BCC wants to rid itself of the management of a vital service rather than addressing the funding issue directly.

It appears that the commissioners are trying to provide a urban level of service in a rural setting with no funding source identified.

I thought the "Study" provided by the Sherrif was worth exactly what the commission paid. Nothing !

Bob,

In January when this originally went before the BCC they voted for yet another feasibility study. Sara Comander pointed out there had been at least 5 feasibility studies done and the BCC did nothing with those except kick the can down the road a few more years. Mike Adkinson stood to speak and offered to do the in house study that was done. The BCC (ALL 5 Commissioners) agreed to that.

Now Chapman wants to have his cake and eat it too because he wasn't happy with the study they agreed to do because it didn't suit his agenda.

You're right about one thing though, the North end wasn't represented in that study (by design I'm sure) but the North End was well represented by the guys who put their lives on the front lines at that meeting today.

With the exception of myself, Danny Glidewell and Gordon Porter (who I have not seen at ANY County Commission meeting in YEARS) no one else from the north end (if anyone was even there) stood to speak for or against moving FIRE/EMS under the Sheriff even though it was a public meeting and well advertised.

The complaint I heard most often today was ALL about the money. What the WCTA and others who were so concerned didn't talk about were...grants that have NOT been applied for in YEARS that could have gone a long way in addressing some of the money issues and ya know the funny part about that? The man who should have known (Bobby Martin) couldn't tell anyone in that room when the last time was that the County even bothered to apply for them with the exception of the 2 grants that have just recently been applied for. Really? Leadership huh?

I also heard about the little old lady living in rural Paxton who can't afford to pay more money but what NO ONE bothered to mention (until I brought it up) was that the little old lady living in rural Paxton, on a fixed/low income pays less than Danny Glidewell does because of tax breaks offered through the County Tax collectors office. Those same tax breaks are offered to an 83 year old friend of mine living on a fixed income very near the circle who pays almost nothing! My 84 year old father however, doesn't qualify for those tax breaks because his income is higher. The little old lady didn't attend the meeting either so, evidently she had no dog in the fight.

I'll grant you the little old lady's house in Paxton would be reduced to embers before FIRE/EMS got there but even Danny accepted the fact his home would also be reduced to embers because of where he has chosen to live.

As for Gordon Porter, cry me a river! His complaint was paying almost 800.00 a year but he wasn't complaining when the County built a private road to his opry house or all the other shenanigans he pulled as a County Commissioner and got something for nothing, nor did he complain about Station 11 being built not far from him. His place would also likely survive a fire because of his proximity to the Station.

NoWal had a chance to show up and show out today and evidently couldn't have been bothered. Maybe for good reason, maybe they recognize that we need organization, safer working conditions, better administration and better living conditions for the folks who put their lives on the line for us everyday.

Throw that 50 thousand dollar feasibility study money Chapman would have had the taxpayers spend today at the Sheriff and see what he can do to improve conditions...I'm sure he'd appreciate it. The BCC has kicked the last 5 of them down the road for years and the situation got worse!

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Most people cannot attend BCC meetings during the day because they have to work. Now they will need to work even more because taxes will have to increase in order to pay for the wish list that the union and Sheriff's Office wants. Bob Hudson is exactly right, the "study" was not worth the paper it is written on and Bill Chapman has been in the business of public safety long enough to know that. I still think an independent study should have been done and that North Walton citizen participation should have been solicited. North Walton citizens have never been consulted about what they want as far as fire and ambulance service. It is all warm and fuzzy to say that you want a fire department that can save everyone's house if it catches fire and that you want dozens of new employees and new equipment and better located stations and great training opportunities and all the other stuff that has been mentioned but no one wants to talk about reality. Reality is that what was done today is simply transfer management of the current operation. Nobody wanted to talk today except Bill Chapman and Sara Commander about how to pay for all this stuff. To support a well-funded paid fire service you need population densities over 5000 per square mile. North Walton currently has about 50 per square mile. The MSBU tax will not yield enough money to fund the current budget, much less the wish list,even if you increase the tax to 10 times its current level. Take it from property taxes? Sell that to the citizens of South Walton who already pay for their own service plus the majority of the North Walton service. Unless someone has a money tree those are the options. I was told today that I was right about my concerns but not to worry that the Sheriff can get the money. Truth is that those funds come from the BCC either way but what is about to happen is that the taxes will be increased and the Sheriff will take the blame for it instead of the commissioners. IMHO it is a sad day for North Walton residents, the employees, county taxpayers in general and the Sheriff's Office. The only winners are the county commissioners who can now blame someone else when the other shoe drops. I applaud Sara Commander and Bill Chapman for wanting to fix the problems instead of passing them to someone else.