• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
If only 1 or 2 Code Enforcement Officers work on Sunday, how are they possibly going to get to all of the enforcement issues? TDC doesn't have dispatch from what I hear. They have an online form that has to be filled out.
I'm sure beach vendors know that enforcement is weak. The $$ is worth the gamble of a fine..to H*** with the law...have always wondered if these kids playing "beach boys" even pay Walton county taxes...??

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Why can't we have a call in number for complaints and a call-taker to dispatch an officer to the problem? Just like every other public safety organization uses. They could fund it easily with the TDC's revenues. Alternately, the TDC could pay SWFD to take the calls and dispatch officers as they already have their own dispatch center.

That is the real solution to the complaint process problem.

The problem than becomes that the TDC will have to now respond to these complaints and make contact with the tourist in an Enforcement type contact. Not their typical Unicorns and Rainbows B.S.

They (TDC), don't want to be the "bad guy". That form allows them to deflect issues and blame the locals that took the time to fill it out.

Good suggestion and I agree with you. Implementation of this process would at least give the appearance that TDC gives a flip.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
UPDATE: BCC involvement created solutions.Vendor after temper tantrum and photo proof of property line..moved his umbrellas back to proper position..
Thanks BCC, hope this incident is added to list of complaints for the Fall Beach rules Review.....This problem resolved !!! Thanks

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
We apparently have a basic philosophical difference regarding enforcement of the codes and ordinances. I believe (hope?) everyone wants our county to prosper and everyone wants a living environment that is enjoyable and fulfilling. The current powers that be apparently think that turning a blind eye to problems and having a permissive attitude will continue to draw new residents, fuel growth and keep visitors happy and coming back. That approach may work for awhile, but eventually the tipping point is reached and anger, both from residents and visitors boils to the surface. That is where we are now and it is manifested in dozens of ways and issues. The second approach, which I favor and I believe is the only sustainable approach, is to fairly and firmly enforce the codes and ordinances and make sure that those codes reflect current conditions and needs. You cannot ignore issues that negatively effect our citizen's quality of life and you cannot ignore problems that negatively impact the enjoyment of our visitors. That is poison to our economy and will eventually kill the golden goose that supports us all. Traffic, parking, storm water and compatible development/redevelopment are all critical issues that should have been addressed 10 years ago. The fact that these issues have shown little improvement and the fact that we are still "studying" several of them is ridiculous. Meanwhile, the Freeport area is right behind South Walton in needing many of these areas addressed and if we do not act now the central part of the county will be behind as well. The North on the other hand has little growth except for Mossy Head but growth and quality jobs are desperately needed for our children and grandchildren.
We have many issues but we do not need talk or studies. We need action and a good place to start would be enforcing the code and ordinances.

Mark Jacobs

Beach Comber
Feb 20, 2017
Freeport, Fl
Actually the photo presented above by Mr. Merritt is actually a total misrepresentation of the situation. This morning a IMG_1800.jpg IMG_1799.jpg IMG_1803.png IMG_17999.jpg IMG_1801.png swfd employee removed sets from the beach, the vendor called code enforcement to come clarify the situation which resulted in the swfd employee helping the vendor setup the sets he had removed and issue an apology. The life guard tower is actually set up on the county property line. The private property line, that the vendor has contracted, is at an angle. So technically the property showing in the picture is private property which was clarified by code enforcement this morning. The picture does not show the empty space that was left on county property for the life guard tower. So in Mr. Merritt attempt to slam a vendor for breaking the rules all he really did was show that he has a baseless vendetta. I understand there are many reasons the vendors have been under fire recently but to bash a vendor, with no facts to back it up, just to have a reason to create a gossip thread is appalling. I have presented actual photos correctly depicting the situation at BMB to clarify that this tax paying vendor is doing everything to follow the rules set forth by the county in the ordinance. Maybe in the future we can focus on those actually breaking the rules that are the problem.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Actually the photo presented above by Mr. Merritt is actually a total misrepresentation of the situation. This morning a View attachment 66623 View attachment 66624 View attachment 66625 View attachment 66626 View attachment 66627 swfd employee removed sets from the beach, the vendor called code enforcement to come clarify the situation which resulted in the swfd employee helping the vendor setup the sets he had removed and issue an apology. The life guard tower is actually set up on the county property line. The private property line, that the vendor has contracted, is at an angle. So technically the property showing in the picture is private property which was clarified by code enforcement this morning. The picture does not show the empty space that was left on county property for the life guard tower. So in Mr. Merritt attempt to slam a vendor for breaking the rules all he really did was show that he has a baseless vendetta. I understand there are many reasons the vendors have been under fire recently but to bash a vendor, with no facts to back it up, just to have a reason to create a gossip thread is appalling. I have presented actual photos correctly depicting the situation at BMB to clarify that this tax paying vendor is doing everything to follow the rules set forth by the county in the ordinance. Maybe in the future we can focus on those actually breaking the rules that are the problem.

Your first two photos prove my case from Sunday posted photos. West of life guard stand is public beach which your photo shows covered with umbrellas.
Secondly, Vendor and we all know who that is,was contacted by SWFD and code department to meet them on BMB..( he was contacted not what you said).
Oh, here are the property lines, straight from blue Mountain rd to gulf..

Walton County Parcel Maps

Let the people and BCC judge where county property line is, Vendor has been spreading the angle theory all summer....it is now Offically over...

Mark thanks for trying to push your #fakenews Vendor agenda....

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 192

Mark Jacobs

Beach Comber
Feb 20, 2017
Freeport, Fl
Thank you steel1man for posting the property lines and proving my point. If you look at the map, it is obvious that the property lines are parallel to the East roof line of the house.
On another note, why don't you go see the beach in person and see for yourself? There must be a reason why code enforcement has not made the vendor move yet. Since, they have been setting up in the same zone since at least March. The public that frequents blue mountain beach, like myself, would be aware of this situation. I would suggest walking down there and taking a look yourself before bad mouthing a company based on awkward angled pictures that provide misinformation on a situation.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Hello? Hello? I must be missing something.

Someone took the time to post several photos and they all show the same thing.

The Beach Chair Set Ups are in front of the lifeguard stand and could obstruct the guards view of the swimmers in the water (Red Flags Today).

I don't care about angles and a geometry lesson, how about the simply fact that the way these umbrellas are set up have the potential to obstruct the guard?

How about a simple solution and no set ups within a certain viewpoint of the lifeguard as just commonsense. Are the lifeguards now favoring the vendors over safety?

I'm really confused but those photos are pretty clear.

Mark Jacobs

Beach Comber
Feb 20, 2017
Freeport, Fl
Hello? Hello? I must be missing something.

Someone took the time to post several photos and they all show the same thing.

The Beach Chair Set Ups are in front of the lifeguard stand and could obstruct the guards view of the swimmers in the water (Red Flags Today).

I don't care about angles and a geometry lesson, how about the simply fact that the way these umbrellas are set up have the potential to obstruct the guard?

How about a simple solution and no set ups within a certain viewpoint of the lifeguard as just commonsense. Are the lifeguards now favoring the vendors over safety?

I'm really confused but those photos are pretty clear.

Just want to help with your confusion. The Lifeguard stand in the photo's is not where it is supposed to be. It is on privately owned land, not in the county-owned public Zone. I was informed that the head lifeguard apologized about the movement of the Tower ( who moved it, tourist, public, lifeguards? Is beyond me).
The Lifeguard Tower is now in the middle of the public access, as it should be, and as it was all season long.
Hope this helps!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Just want to help with your confusion. The Lifeguard stand in the photo's is not where it is supposed to be. It is on privately owned land, not in the county-owned public Zone. I was informed that the head lifeguard apologized about the movement of the Tower ( who moved it, tourist, public, lifeguards? Is beyond me).
The Lifeguard Tower is now in the middle of the public access, as it should be, and as it was all season long.
Hope this helps!

It does help and its unfortunate that good neighbors had a squabble over it.

This really just goes to show that the Vendors (in general) are out of hand and this adds emphasis on this due to the way we all react.

BUT, a life guard stand on "private" (didn't think there was that any more) is better than no stand at all...

Any way you slice it, it is a mess with the BCC holding the bag.