• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We like to look for shells and wondered where the best beaches on 30A are for finding shells, especially little "fancy" ones. We found so many beautiful shells after Ivan.

Has anyone taken the trip to shell island and is it worth it? Crowded?

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I was very surprised of the shells the kids were finding a couple weeks ago in Dune Allen Beach. All the years I have been visiting, I have only seen small shells or pieces of larger ones. The kids collected a whole bucket full & a lot were larger whole shells. I joking accused one of the parents of buying them at a gift shop & planting them on the beach for the kids to find!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Don't know about shells, but I know where you can get some good topsoil for your garden. Try Seagrove near the Andalusia walkover. :sosad: :pissed:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We have never really found shells at Grayton until last summer, and we figured that was due to Dennis. We found some neat ones, but still not like other places in Florida. I remember reading somewhere why there aren't lots of shells in the area, but I can't remember the reason- maybe someone else knows.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Just pointing out the obvious benefit of the overall lack of shells -- lots of shells make for grainier, darker and sometimes uncomfortable sand. Beaches along the west coast of Florida are great for shelling (and in some places ancient sharks' teeth) but trust me when I say the Panhandle beaches have it very good indeed.

It also makes treasures like Ocean Lover's even more special!

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
We were in Seacrest Beach last August and the collection of shells found were the best I have ever seen in the last 6 years. My granddaughter had a field day on the beach. Shell Island is great for shells but you have to get there early. If you have your own transportation to the island it is great but a little bit of a pain if you have to take the shuttle. You are at their mercy and can't leave when you are ready. That wait for the next shuttle seems to take forever and you get miserable in the heat waiting. No shade at all.

30ARules

Beach Fanatic
Jan 16, 2006
Lawrenceville, GA
We've stayed all along 30A and have always found plenty of shells! Last time was 2 weeks ago and we brought home a large bucket of shells and shell pieces. Family shell walks are funn! Kids love showing you the shells they find.:clap_1: I like the fact that they are not all over the place, makes finding big ones that much more special.:cool: