• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
ALERT

The season is here for the "Meat" Sales People (aka. elderly predators) are out and about.

Beware the White Pick Up Trucks with the White Electrical Coolers in the beds of trucks.

They "sell" meat (steaks, etc.). They actually case your neighborhood to see who is home (or not) and who is elderly.

Please Call WCSO at 850-892-8186 and report them when you see them.

The vehicle that has recently been seen is a white pick up truck, with white large cooler (not plastic) in bed of truck. Louisiana License Plate, driven by White Male (20/30 years old) with passenger, White Female (20/30 years old).

On a side note...why doesn't our County have an Ordinance that prevents this activity without a license???

If you want to sell door to door, you should have a proper back ground check done and apply for a permit.

Last edited:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
So you condone this sort of behavior?
A permit would not prevent crime. Unless you want cops stopping and checking papers. I am opposed to a rule and regulation for everything and creating more bureaucracy which isn't needed.

Don't want to live in a nanny state.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
A permit would not prevent crime. Unless you want cops stopping and checking papers. I am opposed to a rule and regulation for everything and creating more bureaucracy which isn't needed.

Don't want to live in a nanny state.
OK, fair enough.

We'll just let the unlicensed meat vendor run amok in SoWal. The magazine sales people too.

All that's needed is a registration at the county offices for a vendor. I'm specifically referring to "door to door" sales people. They present their Valid ID to the county (or sheriff's office) and receive a permit to go door to door. A fee would be optional.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
ALERT

The season is here for the "Meat" Sales People (aka. elderly predators) are out and about.

Beware the White Pick Up Trucks with the White Electrical Coolers in the beds of trucks.

They "sell" meat (steaks, etc.). They actually case your neighborhood to see who is home (or not) and who is elderly.

Please Call WCSO at 850-892-8186 and report them when you see them.

The vehicle that has recently been seen is a white pick up truck, with white large cooler (not plastic) in bed of truck. Louisiana License Plate, driven by White Male (20/30 years old) with passenger, White Female (20/30 years old).

On a side note...why doesn't our County have an Ordinance that prevents this activity without a license???

If you want to sell door to door, you should have a proper back ground check done and apply for a permit.

Did you actually see them in action? It seems like we have two types of criminals like this here...those that blend in while we are really crowded and those who act boldly while we are less occupied to take advantage of the vacant but fully furnished rental houses.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
OK, fair enough.

We'll just let the unlicensed meat vendor run amok in SoWal. The magazine sales people too.

All that's needed is a registration at the county offices for a vendor. I'm specifically referring to "door to door" sales people. They present their Valid ID to the county (or sheriff's office) and receive a permit to go door to door. A fee would be optional.
I fail to see how needing a permit would stop anyone. Especially those whose work requires balls and may not be straight and narrow.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I fail to see how needing a permit would stop anyone. Especially those whose work requires balls and may not be straight and narrow.
Let me try to break this down for you.

Right now, we have no permitting system for Door To Door Sales People. Door to Door Sales People that concern me (and others) are the "Meat Truck Sales People" and the "Magazine Sales People". Historically, they are scammers and have criminal histories. Don't believe me, ask a deputy.

These people are free to roam neighborhoods and go door to door "selling" their wears. Unfortunately, many of these "sales people" are scammers that case homes to see who is home (and when) and who may be alone or elderly. When one of them is observed skipping homes where people are obviously AT HOME and go to homes where people are NOT HOME or Elderly, that's a red flag.

IF there was a simple permit system, it would allow the County or WCSO to know who is out pounding the streets and provide suspects to look at IF there just so happen to be neighborhood thefts, burglaries, etc.

IF the sales person is legit, they simply go to the County Offices or WCSO substations and "apply" for a permit. The simplest way is to provide a valid photo ID and fill out a quick permit request form. WCSO can run a quick criminal history and warrant check on the applicant and IF they check out, they are OK. IF not, they are not given a permit.

The County needs to implement an ordinance that reads something like; "Solicitation without a permit is violation of Walton County Ordinance 2017-1357 and violation is a misdemeanor."

If WCSO finds someone without a permit, they now have reason to engage them and determine if they are a issue or problem to the area, or just a "friendly neighborhood, door to door sales person".

BTW, I believe DeFuniak Springs actually has an ordinance to this effect. Walton County does not.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Don't food trucks and ice cream vendors have to be licensed? To me the meat truck is just kind of a low rent food truck. I once had some toothless guy try to sell to me stopped at a traffic light. He said "I got your meat right here, you want some"?