Billboards on Scenic 30A

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Jim Tucker, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

Anyone notice the giant realtor and rental agency signs starting to pop up along 30A neighborhoods? I'm sure you have becasue you can't miss them. Billboard is a bit of an exaggeration but they might as well be in our charming village of SoWal.

Hard to believe a Walco sign ordinance allows giant signs on individual properties. They look like the same large size as allowed for a business. Can we all agree that one traditional size yard sign is enough? I have no doubt if rules aren't changed (or existing limits enforced if there are any) then every house for sale or rent will have giant signs before you know it.

30A Escapes and Linda Miller come to mind but there are others. If it is technically legal then to you and anyone else putting up giant gaudy signs ruining our community I say: just because you can doesn't mean you should.

2. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I saw these signs yesterday and they have grown much larger than previous years. Just tacky.

Pretty soon we'll have inflatable gorillas and other blow up monstrosities calling attention to everyone's beach front homes they are now selling due to Customary Use.

3. coondog

coondog Beach Lover

Beachy Beach and Hillary Farnum seem to have started this trend of massive signage to either exploit the local rules or see how far they can push things. They will continue to grow larger and multiply until someone shuts them down. I thought there was a sign ordinance that dictated the size and nature of the signage.

4. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I'm sure there is a Sign Ordinance, but as usual, no Enforcement.

So, here's my solution:

The County needs to hire, full-time, the volunteer Citizens Services Woman, Leah (not sure how to spell her name).

She is the best thing going as you always see her out WORKING, and she's a volunteer at that.

I see her moving the tourists that like to park in the Public's Fire Lane, I see her getting on to the entitled construction workers that block the intersection at Dune Allen and 30A and park in front of the fire plug. She is always out directing traffic at a crash scene while others stand around.

If she had Code Enforcement Authority, we'd have a much better SoWal!!!

5. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Lover

You are so right! If only we could clone her!

6. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

We can't clone her but we can put positive pressure on the powers that be to finally actually hire and promote a competent employee (her) to a position that they are more than qualified for and capable of performing, that would do us all a lot of good (which is probably why we won't see this happen).

What is her full name, does anyone know? She deserves a medal.

She should run Code Enforcement.

7. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Thanks for starting this post. We must do something NOW! Walton COUNTY PLEASE STOP PEOPLE FROM RUINING OUR COMMUNITY!

I drove down a section of our "SCENIC" highway yesterday and snapped random samples - the later ones are monument signs at businesses which are "normal" for a business. The county limits the square footage of the signs. I assume signs for neighborhoods like Watersound beach have similar rules. It looks like individual rentals and properties for sale are using the same rule. This needs to be changed. I've included a few pics of yard signs what we traditionally are used to seeing from realtors and agents - if we don't stop this trend then all of the small signs will be replaced by giant ones before you know it.

img.jpg img-02.jpg img-03.jpg img-04.jpg img-05.jpg img-06.jpg img-07.jpg img-09.jpg img-10.jpg img-20.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

img-21.jpg img-22.jpg img-26.jpg img-27.jpg img-28.jpg img-29.jpg img-30.jpg

• List
  9. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

As many on here have mentioned the sandwich boards have gottne ridiculous in number. And places like the hub take advantage of normal sign rules by putting up mutiple signs because technically they are more than one business.

As Jim said - JUST because you can do it doesn't mean you should!

img-12.jpg img-25.jpg

• List
  10. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

"Normal" signs

img-01.jpg img-11.jpg img-15.jpg img-17.jpg img-18.jpg img-19.jpg img-23.jpg img-24.jpg

• List
  11. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

For comparison sakes the last post is "normal" signs - note the last pic shows 2 rental signs that drew outrage years ago for pushing the envelope in size when they started appearing - we have blown past that.

12. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Where is Code Enforcement? :popcorn:

13. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

I don't mind sandwich boards. In fact I like them and appreciate them... cute, informative, small, artsy. Good for small businesses. All the other big gawdy signs are an eyesore.

14. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Lover

Wow! Definitely out of control. So much for scenic 30A!

15. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

You could contact District 5 BCC Representative Tony Anderson to complain, but he is really proud of his political 'sign' that was the size of an 18 wheeler trailer. I guess the big sign people are compensating for something...

16. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Yes but they multiply when you're not looking - there are way too many. Also they are supposed to be put away after hours but lots of people leave them out all the time.

17. bentley williams

bentley williams Beach Fanatic

@Dawn thanks for the photos - I have noticed real estate competition is heating up and I like you don't doubt many more will start using bigger signs to "keep up with the Joneses".

It is in everyone's best interest to halt this with a uniform ordinance limiting to a yard sign on properties for rent or sale.. The TDC and ECAR should be spearheading it. Get realtors and rental companies to agree to stop the explosion before it goes too far. A typical yard sign with one rider is all that should be allowed.

Self policing is always best and it's easy to see who the offenders are.

18. coondog

coondog Beach Lover

Chapter 13 of the Walton County Land Development Code, among other things, provides for exact specifications regarding signage along 30a. I am sure that all of the agents know exactly what they can, and cannot do, but are taking advantage of lack enforcement. I spoke with Code Enforcement on Monday, and pointed out all of the signs in violation at the east end of 30a near Shades. They said they would send someone out to take a look, no idea if they will actually do anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. bob bob

bob bob Beach Lover

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. #30aholes

20. BeachArkie

BeachArkie Beach Lover

I mind when there is more than one or when they put them where they block the multi-use path or sidewalk. And when they put them out every single day. But a temporary sandwich board sign is definitely better than the giant ones.