• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
For comparison sakes the last post is "normal" signs - note the last pic shows 2 rental signs that drew outrage years ago for pushing the envelope in size when they started appearing - we have blown past that.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Thanks for starting this post. We must do something NOW! Walton COUNTY PLEASE STOP PEOPLE FROM RUINING OUR COMMUNITY!

I drove down a section of our "SCENIC" highway yesterday and snapped random samples - the later ones are monument signs at businesses which are "normal" for a business. The county limits the square footage of the signs. I assume signs for neighborhoods like Watersound beach have similar rules. It looks like individual rentals and properties for sale are using the same rule. This needs to be changed. I've included a few pics of yard signs what we traditionally are used to seeing from realtors and agents - if we don't stop this trend then all of the small signs will be replaced by giant ones before you know it.

View attachment 65471 View attachment 65472 View attachment 65473 View attachment 65474 View attachment 65475 View attachment 65476 View attachment 65477 View attachment 65478 View attachment 65479 View attachment 65480
Wow! Definitely out of control. So much for scenic 30A!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
You could contact District 5 BCC Representative Tony Anderson to complain, but he is really proud of his political 'sign' that was the size of an 18 wheeler trailer. I guess the big sign people are compensating for something...

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I don't mind sandwich boards. In fact I like them and appreciate them... cute, informative, small, artsy. Good for small businesses. All the other big gawdy signs are an eyesore.
Yes but they multiply when you're not looking - there are way too many. Also they are supposed to be put away after hours but lots of people leave them out all the time.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
@Dawn thanks for the photos - I have noticed real estate competition is heating up and I like you don't doubt many more will start using bigger signs to "keep up with the Joneses".

It is in everyone's best interest to halt this with a uniform ordinance limiting to a yard sign on properties for rent or sale.. The TDC and ECAR should be spearheading it. Get realtors and rental companies to agree to stop the explosion before it goes too far. A typical yard sign with one rider is all that should be allowed.

Self policing is always best and it's easy to see who the offenders are.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
Chapter 13 of the Walton County Land Development Code, among other things, provides for exact specifications regarding signage along 30a. I am sure that all of the agents know exactly what they can, and cannot do, but are taking advantage of lack enforcement. I spoke with Code Enforcement on Monday, and pointed out all of the signs in violation at the east end of 30a near Shades. They said they would send someone out to take a look, no idea if they will actually do anything.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Chapter 13 of the Walton County Land Development Code, among other things, provides for exact specifications regarding signage along 30a. I am sure that all of the agents know exactly what they can, and cannot do, but are taking advantage of lack enforcement. I spoke with Code Enforcement on Monday, and pointed out all of the signs in violation at the east end of 30a near Shades. They said they would send someone out to take a look, no idea if they will actually do anything.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. #30aholes

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I don't mind sandwich boards. In fact I like them and appreciate them... cute, informative, small, artsy. Good for small businesses. All the other big gawdy signs are an eyesore.
I mind when there is more than one or when they put them where they block the multi-use path or sidewalk. And when they put them out every single day. But a temporary sandwich board sign is definitely better than the giant ones.