• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
man i went down to the beach this afternoon for the first time in a few weeks and the black flies killed me. i stayed 20 min's and had to leave. what works to keep them away on the beach? does insect repellant work?

if the flies are swarming, nothing will repell them - you have to either get in the water or leave.:wave: I usually hightail it out of there. can't stand 'em!

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
A lifeguard recommended Bull frog because it has Spf and deet. I personally like deet in my morning omelet....;-)

PeterFrohwein

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2007
The black flies live in the dunes, and they can be vicious. If the wind at the beach is
coming from the South/South East or South West then they are not a big problem. But
if there is no wind or the wind is from the North............RUN and hide. I have tried just
about ALL lotions, sprays and oils and they have VERY little effect. IF you really want/need to
stay at the beach on fly days, bring a bug net tent or stay in the water. Good luck.

PS: For the bug net tent to be effective you need to be inside it.

Last edited:

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Sadly a cold front is coming and will bring more of the vicious flies with it this week try to limit beach activity until the afternoon when the sea breeze blows them inland but beware of them at your cookout in the afternoon if you are staying inland

Jrejre1

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2016
Atlanta
Does anyone know how the black flies are now? We are coming down next week and I don't want to have issues like we did last year.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Does anyone know how the black flies are now? We are coming down next week and I don't want to have issues like we did last year.
None yet - lots of butterflies, dragon flies, love bugs but no black flies. We usually don't have any on the beach until we get a breeze from the north - rare until later in the year.

Jrejre1

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2016
Atlanta
None yet - lots of butterflies, dragon flies, love bugs but no black flies. We usually don't have any on the beach until we get a breeze from the north - rare until later in the year.
Thank you. Last year at this time they were really bad and we had a few days we couldn't enjoy the beach so just hoping that doesn't happen again.