• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
So after last night’s meeting, can anyone tell me if the county is going to pursue selected parcels or the entire beach on September 6 or 8 per Larry Jones?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks.
I thought I heard Larry Jones say that towards the end. How in the heck would that work? Would it be a class action suit (“in reverse”) or is every parcel owner treated as a separate case? Sounds a bit bizarre either way.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
My take was that the entire sandy beach would be declared as subject to customary use (ancient, reasonable, etc) in the manner that it has customarily been, and if a particular owner disputed customary use existing on their parcel, it would be up to them to prove that point so as to be exempted.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yeah, that's the way I see it too. Beach Front Owner #37 would have to provide proof that the Indians didn't have orgies on "his" beach.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Eminent Domain! Pay a fair price for our 26 miles of beach that are deeded as private. I think a fair price is 50$ per linear foot. Considering that entire lots 50 years ago sold for $50 and it was very hard to find buyers at that price it seems fair. That is about the time that people started coming here to build, albeit slowly.

Also the point was made that the sandy beach is worthless, not taxed and is not build-able. No value is taken from owners and one could argue that property values would be preserved long term. Eminent domain / public beach wouldn't prevent beachfront owners from using the beach or enjoying the view so seems fair ... what say you?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Regarding all 26 miles:
Ok....I see. Throw as much cr@p out there as you can and see what sticks.

Seems to me, if the county lost just one “challenge” then they should lose the whole thing. Most if not all the evidence will be very subjective and grey.

A picture taken 30 years ago of a family on the beach.... What you don’t see is the beach front owner waving at and acknowledging them, in essence giving them permission to be on their private property which I believe is not the same as customary use.

Another picture is taken just before the owner asks them to relocate. Just suppositions.

The point is a judge will rely on their bias to rule in this situation.
What the heck is ancient?
What the heck is reasonable?
What the heck is without objection?
How many tImes does a private property owner have to “run” people off their property to establish objection?

So I guess this is the 40 or 50 million dollars that Sara Comander was talking about. If the county loses, they’ll (we’ll) be on the hook for ALL attorney fees.

Hopefully the federal case which is trying to nullify the English law of Customary Use in the United States is successful and puts an end to all of this.
I know most of you don’t believe me, but this would be the best thing to happen to Walton County. It would stop us from being a Panama City or Destin. And the lawyers won’t be making a bloody fortune off our backs. If you really like open beaches and over crowding just move there. You’ll be happy.

Just ask yourself, who really benefits from this type of development along the coast?

Last edited: