Burning Bowl Ceremony Saturday or Sunday?

Discussion in 'Events and Activities' started by Miss Critter, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

What do y'all think about moving it to the 393/Gulf Place access. There's still a slight chance of rain, and that area has cover in case we need to duck under some quickly. Also has restrooms and ample parking.

Would that work for everyone? Or do you prefer Grayton? Just let me know. Have fire, will travel.

2. kitlit

kitlit Beach Fanatic

Ok by me! Same beautiful beach, no matter which access we use! Plenty of good energy to go around!

3. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

I believe we could come. We still have some company here so I'm not a definite. Gulf place works for me too. It's close and the walk to the beach isn't as far as Grayton's. Maybe i'll make a big "fubp" poster to burn. Or maybe i'll bring something else.:cool:

4. Miss Critter

Great! Gulf Place it is. If it's just drizzly, maybe we can still have our fire while sitting under shelter, and we won't have to reschedule.

Does anyone have an mp3 player with battery operated speakers for meditative music while we contemplate/write? I've got a circa-1990 boom box (vintage!), and think I have some suitable CDs.

5. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

Gulf Place works for me too. I have CDs, but no portable unit.

6. kitlit

kitlit Beach Fanatic

:lol:

7. organicmama

organicmama Beach Fanatic

Gulf Place works for me. I've got an iPod but no speakers beyond earbuds :idontno: and maybe some meditative music but only things like Ottmar Liebert that would be meditative. :roll:

8. Miss Critter

We've got the permit, the wash tub, the boom box. Tomorrow I'll pick up some firewood and a starter log at Publix, unless someone has those already.

9. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

I have the firewood, if you'll get the starter log.

10. Miss Critter

Deal!

11. sunspotbaby

So, what time is this happening? Depending on when naps fall today, I'd like to come if i can. :wave:

12. Miss Critter

Around 5-ish, ssb. Please do come!

It should be pretty cool out there, so dress accordingly. I've got at least one extra folding chair, if anyone needs it. Maybe two more; I'll know after I visit the mini-storage. The sand will be wet, so everyone will need something to sit on. I'll bring pads and pens, the starter log, tin tub, boom box and music. Oh, and champagne. And thanks to Glenda, I've got a program for us to follow, but this is not "official" or stuffy. Just some sowallers who want to release the negative and embrace the positive in 2011. All are welcome!

Did I forget anything?

13. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

This is a good idea! I'm going to try to join y'all!

Don't have a dump truck big enough to haul all my 2010 negativity to burn pile, but transforming a '10-back-pack' to ashes will be a necessarily good start!

14. sunspotbaby

I think it shall all fit nicely in a bowl. who's bringing the bowl? :lol:

I do hope i can come. I'm at the mercy of my children....story of my life. :roll:

15. kitlit

kitlit Beach Fanatic

Dune-Ahh! Please come! And bring the man with you... I wish to hug the heck outta both of you in the new year!

16. Caroling

Caroling Beach Fanatic

I will try to come. Haven't done one of these since Madrakara in California in the late 1970s. Will edit my list, which has been building up since then. I've always thought bonfires with charcoal and smoke had no place on our crystal sand beach. Wonder if I can release that judgment with the others I need to let go.

17. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

I heard there is mediFication for that these daze (and not just for mama ;-))

18. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

He's opting out (sundowner syndrome dontchya know?), has a message I'm to deliver to YOU, and sends good wishes for effective collective efforts with "the Coven":lol:

I too have pondered the atmospheric pollution aspects of sending out smoke clouds of negativity. I've sorta justified it with thoughts that if Universe-honoring native pipples squared it with The Mother then it should work for us too.

19. Miss Critter

Caroling, we're doing this the right way. Our fire is contained in an aluminum wash tub and, once extinguished, the ashes will be bagged and disposed of.

As far as releasing negative energy into the atmosphere, I figure the Universe can dispel that far better than it can the manifestations of negative energy being carried around and inflicted upon each other. Plus, closing the ceremony with a glass of champagne dispels any latent negativity. It's shaman wisdom. . . . or bacchanalian wisdom, I can never remember which. ;-)

20. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

The fire is on par with burning a stick of incense in a temple or lighting a candle for someone in a church - yes, there is smoke and ash created, but it is being done for a greater purpose and will be cleaned up properly.

Plus, I'm a pyro and so IMO any intentional and contained fire is a good fire ;-).

Warm clothes, chair, bottle of champagne, plastic glass.

Did I forget anything?