• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beckster

Beach Comber
Jun 18, 2005
Hi guys,
Our family (including 2- 6 year olds) is making some last minute plans for our annual SoWal getaway.
The theme this year is "Budget Price, Decent House". I've done some deep deep Googling and discovered the Cape San Blas area, which is very affordable. After seeing alot of the property pics, we like the natural appeal of it, but have some concerns. We've never been there and have a few questions:
Are the beaches in good shape?
Are they as pretty as SoWal area? Blue water, white sand, waves etc.
As remote as it sounds?
My boys are nature lovers and are pretty easily pleased, although we would love to have a pool as an option.
How far from Panama City would it really be?
Anything else I should know? Has anyone been there recently?
I do have a pretty solid back-up plan if the reviews for the Cape aren't so good....found some affordable new bungalows behind Tom Thumb that should do the trick for a nice week.
We were in Seaside/Seacrest the last week of June last year and boy, the beaches looked really sad. We're inspired by some of the recent posts and ready to come back "home".
Thanks for your help!!
Beckster

Hi beckster

I live in the Port St Joe area (actually quite close to the Cape) and can attempt some of your questions.
Panama City is about 40 minutes away.
Hurricane Dennis hit the Cape last summer and there was some damage but everything looks good right now.
The water here has been quite clear the past few days, there has been some June Grass but apparently not as much as in SoWal--certainly none on the actual beaches.
The impression that I get is that the Cape's beaches are not, overall, as fine as SoWal. But I have not spent that much time in SoWal, so I dunno.
I do know that the sand is awfully white and as I said, the water has been quite clear. Nice sandbar. Plenty of dolphins. The bayous around here are like miniature nature shows--always something to see.
If you want a pool, you need to stay at a place that has one.
It is pretty remote out on the Cape, but there are *some* restaurants, and there is *some* shopping. The Loggerhead on the Cape is pricey but we enjoyed the food. Coneheads has icecream. Scallop Cove has some basic necessities--but I typically just drive into PSJ or Apalachicola.
If you like, PM me and I can go into further detail.
I edited this and fixed the link! Thanks again SJ.
Loggerhead Grill

oops
heehee
Thanks SJ.
That indeed was what I meant!

And obviously y'all know more than I do about the area.
I just visited the St Joseph Peninsula State Park for the first time two months ago.
It's beautiful.
The shelling on the Cape is very good; much better than were I am now, which is in between Indian Pass and the Cape.
I just came back from a walk down the beach. This certainly is a gorgeous place.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
ok, if you're going to invade my favorite beach, please be respectful of the nature around you and follow all the following rules to the letter

there is nothing but natural beauty there - be sure its the same way when you leave

this is not south walton or panama city beach - there is nothing but nothing there - and how wonderful that is!

there is really no 'city' to go to locally, it is miles away and is only a small town, and is on eastern time

privacy is everything to the other residents, and yes you can find stretches of beach to sunbathe nude if you like (some beaches are very remote) - i've never sunbathed nude, but going down the beach fishing the 'rut' i've passed people on the beach who were

carry cellphones (that work in the area) or walky-talky radios just in case something goes horribly wrong - there is usually no one around to hear your screaming and call for help

its turtle season, use red filters on flashlights and lamps at night and keep your house dark on the side facing the sea - watch your car headlights as well

beware of animals on the road, especially at night - deer, possums, racoons, etc.

go down to panacea to jack rudloe's gulf specimen company aquarium (http://www.gulfspecimen.org/Visit.html), take the tour and buy at least one book, then go on the boat tour at wakulla springs (http://www.floridastateparks.org/wakullasprings/Photos-Visit.cfm)

eat a shovelnose at angelo's overlooking ochlockonee bay on your way to/from panacea

this is the real florida - don't drag anything from the beach like coconuts or driftwood into your house - they will stink ritcheously and have billions of insects inside them

there is absolutely nowhere for kids to go to 'do something' except the park store for hand-dipped ice cream, and that may be some miles away

there is absolutely nowhere to go to eat except the grill or driving over an hour (one way, two hour+ round trip) to angelo's - bring lots of food and be sure your place has ways to cook it

the port st joe walmart is old and smells funny

don't get run over by a turtle watch kid on a atv - possibly a retarded person

beware of any animals that act drunk - possibly rabid (literally, keep away from all animals, especially those that show problems with balance, etc)

when you take out your trash, put it in the elevated bin - if it gets thrown around by animals, pick it up

if the wind drops, there will be mosquitos that appear to be larger than a suv

there is no such thing as boredom where you are going, just cases of having 'too much funn' with mother nature

have funn, be safe, bring lots of sunscreen and film - at the rate its going away, this pristine wilderness will be gone in another few years - you have been given the chance to see something and be somewhere special, bear it in mind and make it the best trip ever - tell the kids so they will understand that this is probably the only time they will ever see a beach without condos and to enjoy going native with nature

psj1.JPG

Aquatic

What Walmart in Port St Joe? Do you mean the Dollar Store(s)?
Or the Piggly Wiggly? It's been remodeled but it's true that it's not exactly a state-of-the-art Publix. ;-)
The nearest SprawlMart that I know of is in Panama City.

beware of animals on the road, especially at night - deer, possums, racoons, etc.
Saw a dead river otter on 30A today. :sosad:
See a grey fox in the back yard quite often. :)
there is absolutely nowhere to go to eat except the grill or driving over an hour (one way, two hour+ round trip) to angelo's - bring lots of food and be sure your place has ways to cook it
There are a few decent places to eat in PSJ: Dockside Cafe (owned by the Loggerhead folks), Pepper's, and exquisite, imaginative food at a little hole in the wall called Provisions. Getting there from the Cape is not that bad.
But it involves driving.
There is good shrimp to be had at several places. The Raw Bar on 30A is supposed to be open but I haven't checked it out yet.
I definitely would stock up on groceries (and liquor!) before coming here.

It is wonderful indeed to be on a beach with no high rises.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
aquatic: i loved your post! i have just visited the cape a couple of times on a day trip, but thought it was wonderful and would love to stay there for a week or so. i could literally see no one but the wildlife for a week and be perfectly entertained. unfortunately, i am sure you are right that this won't last forever..wish it could.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Cil said:
Aquatic

What Walmart in Port St Joe? Do you mean the Dollar Store(s)?
Or the Piggly Wiggly? It's been remodeled but it's true that it's not exactly a state-of-the-art Publix. ;-)
The nearest SprawlMart that I know of is in Panama City.

i ran out of medicine one time (dropped the dang bottle into the toilet, ruining it) so we docked at indian pass campground and took a ride with some man named joe (which i thought was fitting) in a pick-up truck to a ancient non-super-center wal-mart that smelled like a sour mop, but they did have a pharmacy, it was actually open and i was able to get my meds - thanks again, br joe, where ever you are