1. Hello everyone - with recent Forum upgrade, here are a few issues you may need help with. Thanks for your patience!

- some accounts with same email address were merged. So if you have any login issues, send us a message with your username and email address and we'll sort it out. If you send us email by Hotmail we will not be able to respond. Hotmail is blocked.
    - the Forum App is no longer needed and has been disabled. The site is now mobile-friendly. Just browse to http://SoWal.com/forum"> on your phone's browser and tap "add to home screen".
    - Click Here for help, more info, and to post questions / give feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Chocolate milk ocean???

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by 30adreamers, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 30adreamers

30adreamers Beach Lover

New to 30a (4 months)...why is the ocean brown in color??? Lake breaches, etc?
    Kurt-seems this may be a good question for you!

2. justhavinfun

justhavinfun Beach Lover

Eastern Lake and several other coastal dune lakes have opened due to all the rain !

3. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Lake water. All, or nearly all, of the dune lakes have opened up due to all the rain we have had.
    Tannin makes the lake water brown.
    It's not particularly attractive but it's nothing to worry about. The lakes are supposed to do that.

4. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

The tanin in the dune lake water is brown in color. When the lake breaks through the water flowing into the gulf make the surrounding gulf water appear brown.

5. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Yes all the rain we've been having has sent a lot of fresh, tannin-stained water in to the gulf from the coastal dune lake outflows.

Also, during stormy weather and high surf the water can get quite "muddy". Just stuff stirred up from the bottom and washing in from deeper water.

You can see from this photo at Seagrove about an hour ago it's a little muddy and there is some seaweed close in to shore.

[​IMG]

6. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

I love it when the outlets open.

Does anyone track opening dates for the dune lakes? I see the department of public works manually opened Western Lake on 08/01, and an article referencing that says Eastern Lake opened naturally earlier in the week. It would be interesting to see a record of historical openings.

7. Lake View Too

Lake View Too Beach Fanatic

I don't know that there has ever been a real record.(County Public works probably has a record of manual openings.) There is a Coastal Dune Lake Advisory Board. They might know. But I haven't heard any from them in quite a while.

Note to 30A Dreamers: just stick around. The Gulf will get crystal clear again soon. And then it might get cloudy. And then it might get seaweedy. And then it might get clear again. And then it might get brownish. And so on...

8. Douglas

Douglas Beach Comber

How much of the year is the gulf water discolored in the immediate vicinity of Eastern Lake due to lake outflow? Always? Or only after an unusual rain? Or during a certain season? How long does it last?

9. Lake View Too

The inlet breaks out sporadically. Sometimes it may take three or four months between breakouts. Recently, we had one breakout, the sandbar built up rather quickly, and the torrential rains filled up the lake so fast that it broke out less than a week later. This is fairly rare to have two breakouts in quick succession. I can only surmise that this unusual amount of rain is washing an unusual amount of tannin into the lake, then into the ocean. It will get dissipated by Issac,and we should have clear water in a week or so. Or, maybe not. Nature can be fickle.

10. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Thanks. I looked up the advisory board but they haven't posted any meeting minutes for about a year now. If I get interested enough I'll try to call someone.

11. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The CDL advisory board has been discontinued.

12. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

oh. thanks.

13. Douglas

Douglas Beach Comber

Thanks! Can you give me an idea of how many times a year the Eastern Lake overflows into the Gulf and how long the outfalls last? And after it stops streaming into the Gulf, does it trickle through the sand for a while carrying that lovely coffee color into the Gulf? If so, how long? What percentage of the year would you find the Gulf water right around Eastern Lake discolored by lake water?

14. Lake View Too

There's no real schedule or interval between breakouts. As I said before it can be several months between breakouts. Trust me, the Gulf will be as clear as crystal if you just wait a little while. The "beer colored" lake water is just a part of nature, so you have to accept the changes that nature brings.

15. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

Maybe this will help :wave:

http://www.ask8ball.net/

Just kidding! It's Mother Nature at it's finest and as my mother used to tell me, "because I said so." If anyone tries to give you a definite answer on your questions, they are pulling your leg. For a natural opening, it depends on two factors, rainfall and storm events. Either the rainfall provides enough pressure to push through and create an opening, or the waves from a tropical event saturate the sand and it becomes like quicksand and the lake opens. No one can honestly predict the rain or tropical weather to the degree you are asking. Sorry...

16. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

17. Douglas

Douglas Beach Comber

Thank you. When the rest of the Gulf along 30-A clears up, does the "beer colored" water linger in the Gulf within, say, 100 yards of where the breakout had been?

18. Douglas

Douglas Beach Comber

Yes, but anyone who regularly uses the beach near a dune lake inlet would know about how much of the year the Gulf water is tannin-stained right there. I'm hoping someone who knows will say either (1) the breakout shuts off like a faucet and the Gulf in front of it clears up within a day until the next breakout, or (2) the breakout gradually diminishes and the Gulf right in front of it stays brown for, on average, X weeks after the rest of 30-A is cleared up.

19. Lake View Too

I would say the gulf might clear in less than a week, but it would vary on how stormy the gulf might be. Sometimes there might be murkiness in the gulf because of other factors, seaweed and storms. Perhaps what you are experiencing at Eastern Lake is because Deer Lake also broke out recently, which is very rare, and the water was probably extra "beer-colored". This convergence, along with the double break-out from Eastern Lake has caused what is generally called a "triple-whammy", in which case, we are all doomed, and we might as well all move to Ft. Lauderdale, where the water is brown all year round. ( I'm just joking.)

20. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Are you asking because you are worried about it, or is it just curiousity?