• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beauford

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2015
Driving east on U.S. Highway 98 as you leave Destin proper and enter Walton County if you look closely on the right side of the highway you might notice a private wooded street with two signs. One announcing the Coffeen Nature Preserve is just beyond the gate and a second sign for Four Mile Village. There is a lot of history inside that gate. A secret government testing facility for the American version of the deadly “Buzz Bomb” occurred there during World War II.

In the early 1940s, John and Dorothy Coffeen purchased the property but were delayed in using it by WWII. The Army Air Force requested use of their land for an important military mission. Germany had developed flying bombs, called V1 and V2 rockets. These were commonly referred to as “Buzz Bombs” due to the buzzing sound they made when in operation against a target. These flying bombs were used by Germany against England and nearly destroyed London during WWII.

The Allies had captured some of these deadly Germany rockets. These were used by the United States Army to replicate this powerful war weapon at Wright Field in Ohio. They named it the JB-2. The JB-2 was the United States’ first operational guided missile. About 1,300 were produced and shipped to Eglin Field where about 600 unarmed missiles were tested over the Gulf of Mexico.

In 1944, the Army Air Force at Eglin Field set up a launch site at this remote area just east of Destin to test the newly developed JB-2 rocket. At the Coffeen Nature Preserve you can still observe today the two missile launching ramps and the observation bunkers that were used during the missile testing from 1944-1946.

Susan and Bruce Paladini, the resident managers of Four Mile Village and Coffeen Nature Preserve, offer an interesting program where they educate visitors about the history of the military use of the preserve. To schedule a visit call 850-622-3700. Admission is free.

Destin Fisherman Helped with the JB-2 Missile Testing

Local Destin fisherman also helped with the JB-2 test effort. They signed on to the newly formed Marine Unit at Eglin Field and operated what were commonly called the “crash boats.”

Once a JB-2 missile was fired they would go into the Gulf of Mexico and retrieve the missile and its launch sled. The launch sled would be reused, and the JB-2 missile would be retrieved, studied and improvements would be made.

Story By H. C. “Hank” Klein - a Destin historian who visits often and lives in North Little Rock, Arkansas with his wife (the former Muriel Marler of Destin). Klein recently published a historic book about Destin’s pioneer settlers. DESTIN Pioneer Settlers...A Land History of Destin, Florida from 1819-1940 can be obtained from Amazon.com, Tony Mennillo of Arturo Studios at 850/585-2909, Dewey Destin’s Restaurants, in Destin, the Magnolia Grill in Fort Walton Beach, or Bayou Books in Niceville. Klein can be contacted at klein@aristotle.net.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Used to climb all over those ramps and go in the blockhouse when I was a kid and when it wasn't gated off. The last time I drove through in there was still an old Air Force building still being used before you get to the blockhouse.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I went on a tour of it a few years ago and loved it. So cool to see the Launching ramps and the bunkers with the old paintings inside them.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I don't think I've been IN Four Mile Village since I was a young teenager, if that, riding with my dad to deliver groceries to somebody - possibly Mrs. Coffeen. Hard to remember. Guess I should schedule a visit.

and, I remember when you could drive on the beach to get there too ;-)

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek
Hey Beauford, glad you enjoyed the tour. We are open to the public on a limited basis. We ask that you please call the number 850-622-3700 and leave your name and number so we can call you back to set up a tour.
It is an amazing place with a lot of history that not many people in our area know about. This was the first test location for our militaries ground to air missiles. We have several pictures of the activities that were carried on here back in the 40`s as well as left over bunkers and ramps to climb through and walk on.
Please call for a visit if your interested in a little military history lesson.

Bruce P

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I sure remember there being a lot more homes in there than what I'm seeing in the pictures. It was probably 30 years ago since a friend of mine stayed in there. Since that time I've only ever been in as far as the lake on the main road.

Then again...maybe there weren't...